UFC 168: Weidman v Silva II

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Mushroom, Dec 27, 2013.

1. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Yeah part three will be down the road for sure. Youngster gotta reprove himself with top competition.

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

There won't necessarily be a round three if Wiedman wins. Is everyone here assuming Silva will win?

I have no idea who will win, but I would not be so quick to discount the person who KO'd Silva before.

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I still think Weidmann is a big underdog in this fight. The first fight proved nothing except that Silva is capable of making a mistake and Weidmann has enough power to put Silva to sleep. So long as Silva goes out there and tries from the bell, I don't give Weidmann much hope unless he is able to take Silva down and keep him down.

4. aaradia

Did Leben just quit this one fight or retire when he said "I'm done?"

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Nice to see Rousey pushed beyond R1. I thinkthe way she bumrushed Tate for the armbar so early on in R3 highlighted she is perhaps a one trick pony after all. No doubt the Rousey lovers will say she wanted to show she can go beyond the first round and can end the fight when she wants, but I say Tate lost this fight because she didn't execute her gameplan very well. I have no doubt now that Rousey refused to go up in weight because Cyborg would have completely destroyed her. Rousey's striking had improved but this fight and the Carmouche match showed she isn't all that. Shame we'll have to put up with her spoilt brat antics for another year til she fights again. Her refusal to shake Tate's hand at the end has turned me off her completely.

Shame for Silva to go out like that. That's why you should only kick high! :D

6. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

Miesha did better then I expected, but not as well as I hoped. I fear that Rousey is going to end up like Roy Jones or Mike Tyson, a "great fighter" with zero competition who has her career marred by that.

The Silva fight at first shocked me, and then I started to get really sad. That's the kind of injury people don't come back from. It also left a lot of questions. This would of been like Muhammed Ali breaking his arm and ending his career after his first rematch with Frazier. I remember just the other day talking to a friend of mine who does competitive TKD and he was telling me they don't allow leg checks anymore. While I don't see that happening in MMA, I can see why.

7. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

OH MY GOD!! poor spider!! His shin snapped right in half!!! That was sick,poor guy. Why did this happen health experts??? Another great champ fallen like my Idol Dennis Alexio, when he had a fluke loss to Stan Longiidis

At least Tate can say she was the first to take Rohnda 3 rounds. Congrats to ronda

Uriah Hall IS THE NEXT SILVA!! He needs to crush this hypehorse Weedman!!!

Was looking forward to see Barnette fight since I havent seen him since Pride. I never liked him then and was disappointed to him lose in such a fashion it was sad. Sad overall event. Me sad

2013, the year we lost both GSP and Silva almost simultaneously . Silva will be missed if he can return eventually that would be great. GSP will be back in x amount of years for at least a few more bouts.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Alexio's leg break was the first thing I thought of when I saw Silva's shin snap. My guess is he caught Weidman flush on the knee, which is much stronger (when flexed) than the tibia. I think you're right though, this is something that will take him a lot to recover from (if he does at all). Even just mentally he might be done. But hey, never doubt a guy like Silva.

Oh yeah, Rousey is a douche.

9. aaradia

Did you all heare the announcement in the post fight presser? Next fight for Ronda is McMann!!!!! It will be in February and Zingano starts training again in march.

Even though I am much less a fan of Ronda, I still love to watch her fight. Her Judo is really fun to watch.

With regards to the main event. What a terrible end to an amazing career. I don't think Silva will be back. That is a serious injury at an old age for an athlete.I t is a very sad thing.

And I might add it sort of freaked me out. How often does something like that happen? I know it happened to another UFC fighter.

But is rank and file MAists who spar, but don't actually fight? I am feeling freaked out about throwing kicks right now.:eek:

10. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

I said all would be forgiven if Rousey won in the 1ST ROUND , Cat, please Dethrone, we need this brat brought down to Earth and reality! Up! THere goes gravity!

Uriah Hall is the next Silva, kid is young and even stronger. Now he needs more training and experience.

Also after lebens 4th straight loss, and his drug problems , this is the end of the road for him. I see why he looked so weird and afraid coming out in the weigh ins.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Just checked Silva's age. Didn't know he was nearly 40! Damn. Yeah, I too think this is definitely it for him now.

I dislike Ronda but respect her judo, which is bloody beautiful to see in action. But fighting skill and being a douche a completely unrelated. No champ of anything has a "right" to disrespect other people (as some idiots are saying on Twitter). Glad to hear McMann is her next opponent. Be interesting to see how her wrestling fairs against Rousey's judo.

12. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I'm the biggest S. McMann fan. Finally someone I can root for without feeling a cad for it. Didn't care too much for the after-fight snipe of Rousey's...cared even less for her given reason for it - smacked of the sort of 'hillbilly honour' I detest. Emulated ignorance.

One honours their family by behaving honourably.

13. belltoller

Like watching someone go through the windscreen of a motorcar because they didn't heed the light-change.

Will you ever approach an intersection the same way again?

14. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Rousey Vs Tate - really glad to see it go into the third round. Given Rousey's posture and the way she was breathing, I'm surprised she did make it to the third round, she looked like she'd pretty much gassed after the first round but then by the third caught her breath. Her judo was pretty good to watch though, I have to admit that.

But the moment she walked away from that hand shake, I wanted someone to run up and hit her. It took balls for Tate to offer her hand to Rousey and to have it ignored like that was horrendously rude from someone who claims to be a "martial artist".

Her post-fight comment about seeing herself as her own Batman and making Scar Face look like the good guy "because that's what Gotham needs" was just horrendous. I'm really hoping McMann destroys her in the ring in the next fight.

Silva Vs Weidman I didn't get to watch, I'd set it to record and my Sky Box naffed up. Saw the headlines and the image of the break this morning.

:jawdrop:

Read about how it happened...yeah, I'm not surprised it happened like that. But still, after such a fantastic career, that's a rough way to go. I was over the moon when Weidman beat Silva the first time because Silva was arrogant enough to keep dropping his hands as he has always done (and he deserved to lose that first match in my eyes), but no-one should lose on what will probably be their last ever match like that.

I hope me makes a swift recovery. It'll be interesting to see if he goes into coaching now.

15. LemonSloth

It's pretty rare for it to happen actually. Most checks I've seen to leg shots were checked with the shin at an angle so your opponent's leg slides down your shin bone. Most of the force of the impact is avoided because of the angle. To use a slightly extreme example, it's like firing a tank shell at a tank. Take the WW2 german tanks, before they started making tank armour with angles, a tank shell that struck your tank would pretty much tear a massive hole in the armour. When they started building with angles, most the tank shells that hit them would ricochet off just because the angle of trajectory/area of impact changed the dynamics of the shot significantly.

When you clash knee vs shin as they did, there was no other direction Silva's leg could go - it couldn't slide off to one side so the force of the impact was focused in a fairly small spot between Silva's shin and Weidman's knee and Silva's shin proved to be far weaker (as it would with almost anybody). Even so, you have to swing with a huge effort for that to realistically happen. It really was a freak accident and not the kind of thing you can worry about too much.

16. belltoller

Crackin analogy! Would you think that more will begin to use the 'bent leg' approach to kick-checking as a result of what happened this evening? Not that it would prove feasible with the timing and all - but there might be more attempts at it.

17. LemonSloth

I've seen it used a reasonable amount in knockdown karate comps actually (though more with the shin than the knee). It does require excellent timing and judgement though, which is horribly difficult to get right. And despite the angling, it can still be fairly uncomfortable, though nowhere near as bad as if you just take the kick head on.

Honestly though, I don't know. It's possible though, given how well it worked on Silva (poor soul).

18. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Why? You'd rather she was two faced? How did it take balls for Tate? It was just the expected thing for her to do, and certainly didn't represent a change of heart for her.

19. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I almost knew Josh was going to lose at the walk out. Somehow he just didn't look himself. I think a right hand hurt him and he panicked and dived for a leg.
    Unbelievably good fight from Ronda. I'm staggered that people are somehow saying the fight showed her to be a one trick pony??? :confused: She showed massively improved standup, very accurate punching and she's stopped shying away, excellent clinch striking, great guard work and some vicious ground 'n' pound. Yes Tate couldn't keep her game plan going, but that's what happens when you face a much better fighter.
    Felt bad for Anderson, he's too old to come back from that even if he wanted to :( Props to Weidman's camp though, they've done some excellent work with him.

20. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Rousey is a spoiled little girl who's always gotten her way. Finally someone took her past the first round. I'd love to see someone knock her the hell out.