UFC 167: 16th November

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Mushroom, Nov 3, 2013.

1. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

One of GSP's greatest assets is that he does everything by the book - by that I mean that he allows logic and propriety to govern his actions almost completely, even above his own ego. He's nearly a machine in that regard.

If logic dictated that in a certain situation, the opportunity for scoring a KO on an opponent has presented itself, I have no doubt as to GSP successfully capitalising upon that moment.

Thing is, especially in today's modern MMA where the skill level is so high across the board, those opportunities are not as common as we are led to believe.

Scoring KO's and to a lesser degree, attempting certain types of submissions entails a great deal of risk and a lot of them are spectacular in nature because they are out-of-the-blue, unexpected and would probably be ill-advised if one could ask the fighter's corner or coach in the moments leading up to the winning move.

A lot of people accuse GSP's fighting style as being boring - I don't find that the case at all - but what people are seeing is a fighter exercising great mental and emotional discipline in the worst of circumstances - which is why I find GSP so interesting.

You really think a KO here?

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I think anyone thinking GSP has no interest in finishing needs to watch the Jon Fitch fight. He looked incredibly annoyed he couldn't put Fitch away.

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Both of theirs I imagine, if it happens.

Chris Weidman must be mad as hell that he beat Anderson Silva and most fans are ****ed that he's holding up the Spider/GSP superfight.

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The GSP/Fitch fight is amazing. So much resilience by Fitch.

5. Southpaw535

Fitch was awesome. Blanket fighter or not the guy had a lot of tenacity

6. belltoller

" He is... "

" ...Still... "

" ...Only human "

[​IMG]

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Yes. I say it because I don't think that Hendricks has the timing for GSP. Hendricks is explosive, but explosiveness doesn't go five rounds, add that to the list of faults I've already seen and it's very one sided. I reckon GSP drags Hendricks into the fourth/fifth and dominates.

Also, good points on GSP, well thought out.

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

GSP V Fitch.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPfRValAq_0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPfRValAq_0[/ame]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  9. belltoller

bankable at any Cash & Cheque Express

10. belltoller

11. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I have to preface this by saying that GSP is by FAR my favorite fighter!!!!!!!!!I cannot tell you how big a GSP fan I am.

And I think the term robbery is overused any time there is a close fight.

It pains me to say this, but Hendricks was robbed. GSP lost that fight 4 rounds to 1. MAAYBBE 3 to 2 could be argued. But that decision was flat out wrong. It really wasn't even close.

Nice to know I can be objective in a fight. This sure put it to the test.

I don't feel good about him being champ, because he shouldn't be.

And now he is sort of retiring? For awhile at least?

Much props to Hendricks, He proved he has a more varied striking ability than I gave him credit for. And when it looked like he gassed, I guess he was just conserving energy for the last couple of rounds.

If GSP is stepping away, Hendricks better be in whatever championshiop match they have next.

Oh well. At least Kos got KO'd. That was as enjoyable as the Bisping KO to me as I dislike Kos just as much!

12. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I'm going to offer the complete opposite view. Funnily enough I'm NOT a GSP fanboy ;)
    The fight was close but I have GSP winning 3 rounds to 2. I was pleasantly surprised by Hendricks, who showed he wasn't just a one trick pony, and looked super dangerous in the first and half of the second. Then to a large extent he went to sleep for 2 rounds. He still posed a threat and pulled off a couple good minutes, but GSP managed to impose his game much more effectively from the start of round 3. GSP's work-rate was substantially higher throughout, and even when Hendricks was throwing bombs GSP was landing with large numbers of shots. Indeed it made me laugh at one point when the commentators went "Hendricks doesn't have a mark on him!" because Hendrix is bearded and all GSP's shots were connecting with his jaw :rolleyes:
    There was one split second where GSP looked hurt in a punching exchange, beyond that although he got well tagged he was dealing with the punches well and outlanding Hendricks. He also scored more takedowns and for the most part managed to get up when he was down.
    It was a good performance from Hendricks but ultimately the best I can say is he didn't lose. Indeed I could go for the match being a draw. Hendricks simply didn't do enough to win IMO.

13. aaradia

This is actually the first time I really want to rewatch a fight. To see if I see something different than my initial impressions.

14. Southpaw535

I had GSP 1,3,5. I mentioned on facebook that everyone is freaking balls about this being a huge robbery and it wasn't in any way that I can see, except that someone managed to make GSP look human. Judging fights by the damage on their face is dumb and that seems to be all anyone can say to point to Hendricks winning. He wobbled him in the 2nd which got him that, and he manged to take advantage of the slip in the 4th but 3 and 5 were clearly St-Pierre's. Round 1 is the only one up for debate. and I think GSP landed more and controlled better. Hendricks best moment was the elbows.

Rogan, a dude I always give some leeway despite this year being "here's the rules Joe Rogan thinks we should have" was really bad in the first couple rounds of that fight. He acted like everything Johny threw was about to knock GSP out and I'm sure his commentary has a lot to do with the reaction people had to that fight.

I'm also really disappointed by Dana White in the post-fight. I know he isn't the most PC dude ever but his reaction was just childish.

Anyway close fight, but definitely not the robbery everyone is frothing at the mouth about today.

15. aaradia

I want you two to be right. I really do.

I know my opinion is not because of Rogan though. I give no credibility to what Rogan says. His favoritism is just appaling. I used to like his commentary. I can't figure out if his biases have gotten worse over the years, or I have just learned more about MMA and notice his bias more than I did before.

Round 1 was close. But I gave it to Hendricks.

Round 2 was clearly Hendricks.

Round 3 was clearly GSP.

Round 4 Hendricks. After that slip by GSP I was thinking, "oh no. That slip cost him this round and therefore any decision win. GSP now needs a finish."

Round 5 I gave to hendricks too. But I admittedly was not watching this round as closely. Because my heart was sinking and I was feeling bummed out. I think this is the round I really need to rewatch as I may have missed something.

I am a very sad GSP fan right now. I hope the guy's issues can be resolved and he get happier.:cry:

16. Southpaw535

I would of been happy with a draw for 5 and a draw overall honestly. GSP seemed really out of it at the presser too. I don't know what problems he's having but I hope he gets better. Whatever crap I gave White how he acted at the start I'll give him props for getting the reporters to back off Georges and his post-fight interview.

People have mentioned it before with him and the idea's floating around again that he might have wanted to announce he was gay. That would of been interesting.

17. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I had Hendricks in 1, 2 and 4.

I thought Round 1 was close, but I don't see how you can honestly give it to GSP.

18. aaradia

Mushroom, How did your match go?

19. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I personally thought Hendricks won. Like everyone the 1st round is the debatable round and I'll leave it there but I wouldve given it to Rig. My best mate however gave it GSP and he's a bit more analytical than me..so dunno.

Also I think he's retiring. You dont make speeches like that and not retire, especially when he looked at Rogan in the eye and paused, changed his mind when Rogan pushed him for something.
    I'll post something about my comp in my training log. And funnily enough my attitude is similar :rolleyes:

20. Southpaw535

Outstruck him, takedowns were tied but GSP threatened with the guillotine (which I thought he tapped to for a moment) when he got taken down while neither of them achieved much on top, and GSP had a bit more time in control in the clinch imo. Like you said it was a close round but that's why I gave it to Georges.