UFC 129

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Tom O'Brien, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

My picks for kicks - PPV 4/30/11
    Main Bouts (On Pay-Per-View):
    -Georges St-Pierre (21-2; #1 Welterweight)* vs. Jake Shields (26-4-1; #3 Welterweight)
    -Jose Aldo (18-1; #1 Featherweight) vs. Mark Hominick
    -Vladimir Matyushenko (25-5) vs. Jason Brilz (18-3-1)
    -Lyoto Machida (16-2; #4 Light Heavyweight)* vs. Randy Couture (19-10; #10 Light Heavyweight)*
    -Ben Henderson (12-2) vs. Mark Bocek (9-3)
    Preliminary Bouts (On Spike TV):
    -Nate Diaz (13-6) vs. Rory MacDonald (10-1)
    -Jake Ellenberger (23-5) vs. Sean Pierson (11-4)
    Preliminary Bouts:
    -Yves Jabouin (15-6) vs. Pablo Garza (10-1)
    -Claude Patrick (13-1) vs. Daniel Roberts (12-1)
    -Ivan Menjivar (21-8) vs. Charlie Valencia (12-6)
    -Jason MacDonald (24-14) vs. Ryan Jensen (15-7)
    -John Makdessi (8-0) vs. Kyle Watson (13-6-1)

I picked Machida but I'm rootin for Randy (old guys rule

Thanks,
    Tom

2. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

-Georges St-Pierre (21-2; #1 Welterweight)* vs. Jake Shields (26-4-1; #3 Welterweight)
    -Lyoto Machida (16-2; #4 Light Heavyweight)* vs. Randy Couture (19-10; #10 Light Heavyweight)*

As before Only picking fights where I know the fighters

3. Santa Barbara

Santa Barbara Valued Member

GSP
    Aldo
    Matyushenko
    the Natural
    Henderson
    Diaz
    Pierson

good show!!!

4. jh1

jh1 Valued Member

-Jake Ellenberger (23-5) vs. Sean Pierson (11-4)
    -Yves Jabouin (15-6) vs. Pablo Garza (10-1)
    -Claude Patrick (13-1) vs. Daniel Roberts (12-1)
    -Ivan Menjivar (21-8) vs. Charlie Valencia (12-6)
    -Jason MacDonald (24-14) vs. Ryan Jensen (15-7)
    -John Makdessi (8-0) vs. Kyle Watson (13-6-1)

5. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i'm picking the natural. never underestimate an old guy!

6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

i wont disagree with the above...kinda sucks that Nate Diaz is down to pre-lims. I'm not a fan Jason MacDonald either.

Obviously the top 3 is the ones to look out for.

7. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I've given up betting against Couture

8. Santa Barbara

Perhaps if he and his brother Nick would stop jumping people inside and outside the octogon (and smoking weed all the time) they may get back into the main card some day. Until that day is here, they both belong in the pre-lims (or in jail for assaulting others). Becoming vegetarians alone will not get either of them a big fight in the near future or a big following from the fans. Those two things go hand in hand.

9. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

Nick Diaz is an awesome fighter.

He just had a title defence against Paul Daley.

He has a solid following with MMA fans.

The reason he isn't in the UFC is soley because he is a PR nightmare.

Nate is a UFC fighter with some wins over tough competition. He just needs to win more consistently.

And what's wrong with smoking weed?? :D

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  10. Southpaw535

Yep. He is also a complete dick :p

11. Killa_Gorillas

Totally. He's possibly the dumbest person I've heard interviewed in mma and I've heard Phil Baroni being interviewed haha.

12. Done-Gone

Done-Gone Banned Banned

Nick Diaz is an awesome fighter, but not awesome enough to be part of the big show known as the UFC. He would probably not be in the top 10 in his division IMHO.

And what's wrong with puffing on the chronic? I guess if getting high off the stuff is worth the expense, getting arrested, losing family and friends, becoming lazy and uninterested about anything not having to do with the burn, plus the yellow teeth, bad breath and stink on your hair and clothes - it's all good.

Pass the peace pipe, dude. :rolleyes:

13. Killa_Gorillas

The reason he is not in the UFC is soley because he would be too difficult to control from a PR perspective... he is cetainly talanted enough to fight there. That aside plenty of talented MMA fighters fight in leagues other than the UFC. The UFC is the best marketed and most monopolising entity in MMA and has huge talent under it's wing. As it continues to buy out other leagues this will only continue. However right now there are fighters that do not fight under their banner (purely semantically in the case of strikeforce) that would do very well if they did.
    In Nick's case santabarbara is correct that it's his demenour getting in the way of UFC appearances. However to imply that he is a nonentity that is merely relegated to undercard fights because of this is fallacious and comes across as missinformed and judgemental. I don't really like the guy but I'm a fan of him as a fighter and he deserves respect for his caliber and undeniable heart.

Nate Diaz on the other hand does fight in the UFC and is only on the pre-lims by virtue of his inconsitency and not as punishment for his character as santabarbara asserted

That's just a patronising, judgemental and inaccurate statement to be honest. You should be wary of painting with such a broad brush as it really doesn't do justice to life's nuance.
    It's also super ironic considering that by logical extention you're attempting the application of that stereotype to two elite combat athletes.

14. Southpaw535

New favourite word :D

Could it be argued that 10th planet was founded almost solely off being baked out of your tree?

15. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Agree with these except I think Matyushenko wins his.

Nick is easily good enough to be in the UFC, easily. Its not his level of talent that means he's not in it. And personally I think he will fight in the UFC again, possibily before the end of the year.

16. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Some people get some or all of those things from smoking weed. And some people don't For example Joe Rogan is a massive stoner, a BJJ brown belt, a commentator on the UFC and a very successful stand up comic. His teeth are white, he is rich, he avoids problems with the police and he is certainly not lazy.

Its like saying people who drink end up as incontinent, violent, smelly, lazy down and outs. Some do, but you can't condemn booze because of that...can you?

17. Southpaw535

And a tkd blackbelt I think. Just to add to this if you look up Rogan on youtube he comes across as a reasonably intelligent bloke and he credits a lot of that to weed

18. Santa Barbara

:happy::banana::happy:

Killa G: Smoking weed has all those effects listed by JC and more. It may sound patronising and judgemental to you and that is your opinion, but inaccurate it aint. It is fact. All drugs, including marijuana, have been proven to be harmful in many ways, not to mention ilegal. Unless you have facts to support otherwise, I suggest your arguement is mute.

19. Southpaw535

I have evidence to prove weed is a hell of a lot less harmful than tobacco and alcohol if you want to go there :p

EDIT: Also I think ecstacy is suprisingly low on that list as well

20. Santa Barbara

I agree. I'm not saying one is better than the other. I'm saying they're all bad. Some may be more dangerous, but none are good or healthy.