UFC 118: Edgar vs. Penn 2 - Fight Card *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Saz, Aug 28, 2010.

1. nicolethai1

nicolethai1 Valued Member

Something looked seriously wrong with BJ even before the fight started - he was completely flat, looked like he hardly knew where he was let alone actually was up for it. See clip below - takes several seconds even to realise he's being poked in the head by his corner's banner.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/8/30/1658364/bj-penns-banner-lands-the-first

Doesn't look at all good at the moment.... :(

2. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

That's exactly what I said somewhere else here, I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed it. I actually laughed out loud when I saw that

He was definitely not himself, I don't know what it was but he didn't even look like he wanted it. Total contrast to Edgar who looked like he was on fire. He can't blame anyone but himself for that outcome of that fight.

It'll be interesting to see how Maynard v Edgar turns out.

3. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Slip you know I'm not an MMA fanboy but I think rocket3 and ronin are making some valid points.

Toney's speech does come across as extremely slurred and hard to understand and I think that it would be pretty common for people to assume that may be related to his long boxing career. I'm not saying that makes it right but I would say it is an understandable conclusion from just hearing him speak in recent interviews. From what you and Yohan are saying and from taking a look at some of his older interviews I get the impression that is actually just his accent but I wouldn't be surprised at all if most people hearing those interviews thought 'that guy is punch drunk'.

I would also add that regardless of his skill Toney really doesn't come across as if he puts much thought into the things he says in any of the interviews I've seen. Maybe I'm not giving him enough credit and he is actually just good at generating controversy but that post fight interview doesn't seem to suggest he's good at adjusting his opinions.

Still with all that said rocket3> I think you shouldn't be so quick to assume that someone who sounds incoherent to you couldn't possibly be speaking in an unfamiliar accent. I have an uncle who finishes almost every sentence with something that sounds like 'yenowaien' and even most other Northern Irish people don't recognise it as 'you know what I mean' but he's not punch drunk.

Finally, in regards the Boxing vs. MMA, I don't think it's really that odd or a sign of being a fanboy for someone who follows MMA to get annoyed by comments like those made by Mayweather or Toney. These are top tier boxers coming out and making ridiculous statements about MMA while showing next to no respect to the fighters or the sport. It's not surprising that fans of the sport would find that annoying or react to it. If top level MMA fighters gave press conferences where they bashed boxing I would expect boxing fans to get ****ed too and doing so wouldn't necessarily make them fanboys.

4. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

BJ Penn is the best lightweight ever but I think he's finally hit the point where he can no longer keep up with relentless hard working talent.

I think its ironic that he insinuates he only loses to athletes who play the game's rules towards a winning nod by judges instead of "fighting".

First of all BJ Penn is probably the most inherently gifted athlete in the sport. It is no coincidence he's nick named the "Prodigy" dude has unreal speed, balance so unnatural he's almost never taken down, legs that seem to move on their own, an innate understanding of boxing and jujitsu.

But let's give Edgar his due. He's literally found the "Answer" to Penn. Outworking him.
    He's faster than Penn and that let him outstrike Penn and take him down at will. Only GSP has dominated Penn like that but he used his size over Penn.

BJ isn't matching these "athletes" because they "play the game". He's losing to them because he refuses to come up with good game plans and relentless training. Sometimes he trains hard sometimes he doesn't. Sometimes he's an ice cold killer sometimes he doesn't care.

I think my bottomline point is that BJ Penn still has the ability to be an unstoppable force at lightweight or welterweight but he's been so dominant in his life that he refuses to do the hard work to push himself to new limits when he faces a true challenge like GSP or Frankie Edgar. Instead of looking for a new way to grow as a fighter he blames some other factor like the ambiguous notion that athletes are using the point system to win.

5. GracieFan

GracieFan Valued Member

He really needs to get out of Hilo.
    He's been constantly surrounded by guys who do nothing but kiss his proverbial ass (see cornermen comments during the fight), instead of pushing him to work hard and improve.

There are rumors circulating that BJ's been invited to train at Black House, and I (metaphorically speaking) would kill a man just to sit in on ONE training session with those guys.

BJ has a ton of natural talent, and will always be dangerous at LW.
    But if he wants to stay relevant in the title picture, he'll have to sacrifice more than he ever has: his ego.

Ludicrous thought:
    BJ goes to Deathclutch and improves his TD defense to the point that BROCK can't take him down.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  6. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Thing is I'm with pitfighter I think he's too used to coasting that and as you said his ego, why the hell he didn't go to the ground as much as possible I dont know. It'll be good if he trains with them but I really can't see him being willing to put in so much effort. But thn I've never liked him so maybe I'm not giving him enough credit.

As an aside does BJ have an achilles for wrestlers? Hughes and GSP both beat him and now edgar

7. GracieFan

GracieFan Valued Member

Up until Frankie, BJ had never had a problem with wrestlers AT LIGHTWEIGHT.

Hughes and GSP both had size advantages in addition to their major wrestling ability.

8. Southpaw535

I don't have a very good knowledge of fighters so forgive the ignorance but ar there many lw wrestlers with that level of skill?

9. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

There is a video of A. Silva inviting him to train with "Me and Lyoto. Come on man..."

So they'd definitely train with him.

10. GracieFan

GracieFan Valued Member

Tyson Griffen and Clay Guida have good pedigrees, but neither have climbed the ladder much.

Gray Maynard has probably the best wrestling record in the division.

11. Southpaw535

I keep thinking guida W W :bang: