UFC 106

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Southpaw535, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Okay I'm depressed the Lesnar fight was cancelled that Carwin dude has one hell of a record. Just hope Lesnar pulls through this with his career.

Just as a mini disclaimer I haven't seen a lot of mma fights and am in no way an expert in what I say :p

Amir Sadollah v Phil Baroni
    I've never seen Baroni fight but judging from the commentators he was good in the ol' days and he did show a great chin if nothing else. Gotta give credit to Sadollah he looked more impressive to me than he did in TUF.

Loiz Cane v Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
    I feel sorry for little Nog in a way, he looked good in this fight but he's got a big name to live up to. oh well.
    I'm in two minds about the end to this fight, he definately got clocked hard but he kept his hands up on the deck and if i remember right was still controlling Nog's leg but I could be wrong? What you'll reckon?

Paulo Thiago v Jacob Volkman
    OK first of all I was impressed tbh with Volkman. After the first round I thought Thiago was going to be a lot more dominant than he was.
    Also a quick question on technique but what's a darce choke? Call me cynical but it just looked like an arm triangle from a different angle to me :p
    I felt bad for Volkman though he did good in the last round.

Josh Koscheck v Anthony Johnson
    Three guesses what the first thing I'm gonna mention is?
    Koscheck may have somehow caught his eye on some dust on the canvas he may not but he played that way too much and I think he was trying to get Johnson DQ'd. It was illegal (obviously) but Johnson straight away admitted he cocked up, Koscheck lost some respect in my eyes. I'm sure he'll lose sleep over that.
    I don't actually remember this fight very well other than that so not much more I can say.

Tito Ortiz v Forrest Griffin
    I don't like Ortiz so sorry if this is one sided.
    Not a bad fight I'm kinda depressed it went the distance but I couldn't see Forrest finishing. It don't seem to be his strong suit. I forgot how good Ortiz is at GnP though even excluding that cut his elbows don't look fun to be hit with, but I don't know what happened in the last round. Tito wasn't gassed far as I can tell but he barely did anything.
    Fun fight though and I got to watch Forrest fight properly :D

Very brief and not very good but it IS half 12!
    Sooooooo opinions?

2. Devil Hanzo

Devil Hanzo Doesn't tap to heel-hooks

I gave rounds 1 and 2 to Ortiz, and I have no idea how they got 30/27 round 2, but I like Griffin more anyway so I didn't care. Plus I called it Griffin by decision beforehand. FACE.

Oh, and what about George Sotiropoulos? I thought that fight was sick. His BJJ was awesome, Joe Rogan was about to crap his pants at the chance to pimp 10th Planet JJ.

Anyone ever try taking a shot every time Rogan mentions rubber guard? Fun game.

"NOW SEE THERE ALL HE HAS TO DO IS GRAB HIS ANKLE TO SECURE MISSION CONTROL, TRAP THE ARM TO THE MAT IN NEW YORK, CLEAR THE HEAD TO CHILL DOG, KUNG FU MOVE TO JIU-CLAW THEN SINK IN THE OMOPLATA!!!!"

3. nicolethai1

nicolethai1 Valued Member

What happened to Tito?! Have to admit, I didn't have the best feeling about his fitness, and the feeling got worse seeing his warm-up jumps (for anyone who remembers them in the old days) - he barely cleared the ground! :eek:

His GNP/takedowns are still very good but unfortunately MMA has moved on now and he's not going to get anywhere without a much better striking game - his boxing in particular is pretty poor.

It's very unfortunate that he and his camp laid it on so thick before the fight about how he was in the Best shape ever,THEN after the fight, he suddenly claims to have gone in to the fight against medical advice with a bulging disc and a cracked skull!!! I did notice he had a black eye going in to the fight...but he also said he hadn't been able to spar? :confused: Top marks to Forrest though for stepping in and saving him from the crowd's reaction.

Anyone have any idea what happened in the third round...although he seemed to be totally gassed, it appeared to happen too suddenly. He just looked like he didn't have a clue what to do out there. Not the best idea standing around like a human punchbag for Forrest esp if he really did have a cracked skull...

Apparently he has a 6 fight contract...not sure how he's going to get through those judging by last night. Let's hope there is still room for improvement with his back/getting over the ring rust.

As for the other fights, I was extremely impressed by Nogueira's twin bro (confusing!!!) and Sadollah's thai kicks. Koscheck finished well but the whole eye thing was more than slightly suspicious....Loved Dan Hardy's reaction when Koscheck called him out at the end! :cool:

Anyone else see this?

4. Southpaw535

Lol sounds like a plan. Can't remember which fight but I noticed he confused a rubber guard with a triangle choke

5. Guvnor

Guvnor Valued Member

I am no UFC expert either, but some fights I actually enjoy watching where they go for each other and recently I have been watching these fights regularly. The big fights your talking about OP I happened to be awake at that time at 4am in the morning on saturday night, and yeah it was worth staying up for it.

Amir Sadollah- put on a very good fight I was very impressed with his kicks, and his fighting has improved as well, I think he is training in Holland these days where they have some of the best Muay Thai gyms.

Thiago- Another good fight, I reckon Tiago could have finished it a bit earlier the other guy had his chance when on the floor but he was not able to do the technique, can't exactly remember what the technique is called ?

Koshcheck Vs Johnson- an excellent fight on all accounts where both of them went for it, and you couldn't really say who would turn out to be victorious, but I think Koshcheck definitely upped his game on the night and it was a well deserved win where he made Jhonson tap out.It was certainly a pound for pound fight.

Tito Ortiz vs Griffin- I actually was looking forward to this fight the most, Tito didn't really step it up but then again many would argue that he is coming back from injury and has been out for more than a year. Tito was always trying to take Griffin down he hardly did anything started. I might be a bit biased on this one as I am a huge fan of Griffin but that guy is a soldier and has a massive heart, but I think he deserved it especially after loosing to Anderson Silva a few weeks earlier.

I am sure many will have their views on the Silva v Griffin fight to...but Griffin is a legend.

6. Alcatraz

Alcatraz Valued Member

What do you think about the dodgy 5 minute break that Koscheck received for an alleged knee to the eye which didn't happen.

Now I know that Johnson shouldn't have thrown the knee whilst Koshchek was down, but for Koshchek to roll about as though his orbital was broken when the replay quite clearly showed that there was no contact, and that the ye graze was to the other eye, smacks of desperation (read cheating) on Koshcheks part.

7. Raven001

Raven001 New Member

It looked like to me from the numerous replays that when Johnson threw the knee he also swiped at him with an open hand and it looked like it was a figure that caught his left eye.
    Overal I thought it was a pretty good card. War Killa B

8. Southpaw535

I forgot to ask why was the attempted axe kick allowed? I know stomps are illegal but aren't kicks to the body on the ground too?

9. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Nope, kicks to the body of a downed opponent are legal, including axe kicks. GSP has used them to good effect several times, notably against Miller.

Did anyone catch the Brian Foster/Brock Larson fight on the prelims? I've been training alongside Foster at the HIT Squad for the last six weeks and I was so happy about how the fight went.

It was only his second fight in the UFC (and he lost his debut, although it was fight of the night) and was a huge underdog going in. Larson possessed a 26-3 record and was on paper a terrible stylistic match up for Foster.

If you haven't seen it have a watch, well worth it. I'm sure a google search can find it, look for Foster on the main card very soon

10. Guvnor

Guvnor Valued Member

Well I agree with you it looked well dodgy to me as well, but at the end of the day Koshcheck beat him fair and square and not on points. I think Koshcheck deserved it, he was the better man on the night, but then again it could have gone either way.