UFC 102 preview/predictions

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by callsignfuzzy, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

I meant Mousasi vs. Silva at 205 . . .

2. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

I was trying to think of the middle-weight people he is missing on his resume. I mean there is Okami, but he has been pretty injury prone and that has delayed their eventual rematch. But I'm having trouble of thinking of others that should happen, but are not rematches from his recent UFC run. I'd like to see Mousasi at middle weight. Of course I'd like to see Franklin-Mousasi as well or Henderson.

3. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Honestly I can't see any way Okami to beat Anderson.

Unless Okami suddenly becomes a striking god, since he has reach on Anderson.

4. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Well, the UFC did just re-sign Frank Trigg.

AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... I crack myself up sometimes.

But in all seriousness, they also signed Vitor Belfort.

Oddly, neither is having their debut at 185lbs. Trigg's fighting Koscheck at 170lbs, while Vitor is having a catch-weight fight with Franklin at 195lbs.

Obviously of the two, Vitor stands the best chance.

5. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Vitor has the power and speed to destroy anybody. That includes Anderson.

6. aaron_mag

Vitor would be an interesting matchup. Knocking out Lindland, however, does not equal the recent stoppages Anderson had.

Anyway. I was just curious. I see many people express the opinion that Anderson has not beat anyone decent yet and he is fed 'cans' on Sherdog and by Infrazael. Yet I really can't see anyone who he has been dodging (or who he has been protected from).

Not really a huge A. Silva fan. Cro cop then Machida then perhaps Anderson and GSP way further down the line.

7. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Wouldn't mind seeing Anderson vs. Cro Cop honestly. Maybe a catchweight - 210, 215 . .

8. aaron_mag

I'm a big Crocop fan. I wish he would drop to 205! I think he could win the title at 205.

But that might be just blind nuthuggery.

9. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Probably. He has size, power, as well as being a top tier K-1 fighter. That helps quite a bit.

The problem is when he fights guys who have solid takedowns and a great BJJ game, like Shogun or Little Nog.

IMHO Cro Cop takedown defense is not what it used to be.

10. wushurichard

wushurichard Banned Banned

i disagree i think he would over come the bigger grapplers in the heavyweight division. it was only kickboxers like cheik congo and gabriel gonzaga that where his weakness. i think on this run he will achieve the gold

11. callsignfuzzy

Gonzaga isn't a kickboxer.

Crocop is long overdue for a drop to 205lbs. I think Wanderlei actually outweighed him in their last match, and he normally fights at 205lbs.

So do you guys think Henderson and Marquardt should face off before one of 'em faces Silva? And what do you think Maia's next match should be?

12. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

wushu richard not posting trash for the first time!. :cool:

cya around richard

13. wushurichard

wushurichard Banned Banned

Explain..... [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31jVEOfk8i8"]YouTube - Gabriel gonzaga with Elcio Machado Muay Thai team link[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AizqWo073oM&feature=related"]YouTube - GabrielGonzaga c/ Elcio-Team link-treinando p/ pegar ocrocop[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3_3531auE&feature=related"]YouTube - Gabriel Gonzaga prepares for UFC 74[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kBqiAV48SU&feature=related"]YouTube - napao treinando boxe com cebola[/ame]

???

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Gonzaga is not a kickboxer in the way Kongo and Cro-cop are.
    He can obviously bang a bit but he comes to MMA via BJJ rather than kickboxing.

15. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Yes BJJ is his base.

It would be incorrect to call him "kickboxer" or "BJJ" though, he is a mixed martial artist because he competes in MMA. Gonzaga has really good standup and HUGE power so, well, he is a legitimate threat to everybody in the HW division.

16. callsignfuzzy

Gonzaga has trained kickboxing in recent years, but his strongest base, best skills, and overall strategy are BJJ. He's not a competitive kickboxer, the way Crocop, Kongo, Mark Hunt, Cyrille Diabate, Malaipet, Kit Cope, and other are. His "kickboxing" isn't that impressive as far as skill goes, though he does have knockout power.

I mean, Tito Ortiz is training with Freddy Roach, but nobody with half a brain would call him a boxer. And Chuck Liddell trains BJJ, but nobody's going to call him a "BJJ guy". MMA fighters train (or should train) striking, takedowns, and ground grappling, but their approach to a fight and their skills in their respective area define what kind of fighter they are. And Gonzaga is definitely not a kickboxer.