UFC 100

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by callsignfuzzy, Jul 6, 2009.

1. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Akiyama vs. Belcher:

The clip I saw started at the end of R1, so I missed about four minutes worth. Akiyama looks kinda small. He might think of cutting to WW, although Japanese fighters never seem keen on that. Belcher is getting a rep as a spoiler, making new acquisitions look less than impressive. Still, Akiyama showed his chin and ground control in that fight. He looked like he started to gas out. This was the first time he's gone the distance in a fight.

Henderson vs Bisping:

This is why you should never make specific pre-fight predictions. The guy who promised a knockout, got one... kind of. I expected Bisping to perform better than he did. Did he out-psyche himself? I don't know, but I enjoyed Henderson showing the new fans the power of his right hand. As for the finish, it's the ref's job to tell you when the fight is over, and we've seen too many guys come back from the dead to win a fight. In isolation, that ground punch looked "low" or "dirty", but in the heat of the moment I think most fighters would have reacted the same way.

Lesnar vs. Mir:

No big surprise on how this went. People are all over Lesnar's victory and post-fight actions, but Mir showed that you can get the guy backing up with some well-placed strikes. Post-fight was all garbage. Lesnar has some growing up to do. Even when the crowd was booing and he was claiming "I love it!", his body language said otherwise. I think he expected people to embrace him and is surprised that they're not. Final thought: that's not the sort of behavior I want out of the most visible fighter in the sport, especially one who's got a title.

2. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

At least he apologised and I can believe it was at least partly because of the wwe and the build up to the fight. If Dana laid into him then maybe he'll wise up

4. Topher

Topher allo!

Not that much of a surprise when you consider that booing in the WWE means you doing a good job! :p

5. MaxG

MaxG Valued Member

I never thought I'd see something like that in the UFC. Lesner should have been fined like they do NFL players for excessive celebration. If I didn't know UFC tested their fighters I'd say roid rage in a second...

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Man what a bunch of sourpusses... give me a break. He got in and he kicked some ass and spoke his mind. You don't like it? Too bad so sad.

He's handed Mir an ass beating in the good old fashioned way. Punching him in a headlock. Nothing fancy... just the practicals. And it worked. People now have their feathers ruffled because of what he said about beer or about his wife or who knows what.... and now come the allegations of roid rage. Puhleeeze.

No one forced you to watch it... you bunch of crybabies.

7. Southpaw535

Same thing applies here mate. You don't like what's being said? Don't read it.

8. slipthejab

oh hush... you don't like that Lesnar handed out a beatdown on Mir? Then get Mir to change up his game.

If you don't like that Lesnar doesn't fit your preconceived notion of what a UFC fighter and heavyweight champ is or should be then get in there and put your money where your mouth is... lol.

If you have allegations of roid use etc. then stop whining and step up to bat with some credible evidence.

If not then just hush because it's all a lot of hot air by people who are ****ed because Lesnar doesn't fit their idea of a UFC fighter should be.

Well... big fat reality check time... fighters come in all shapes and sizes and fight promotions are all about hype and sensation... it's what allows the fights to exist and go on and be televised. Never think it doesn't.

9. Southpaw535

Mir fought and got owned, I respect Lesnar's ability as a fighter.

I wouldn't hesitate to get in the cage with Lesnar. I'd lose in under 5 seconds but its a hell of an experiance :D

No its a widely expressed view of mma. We're trying to get it mainstream and people like Lesnar are going to be used by people who still think its random brawling. I'm proud of my gym and what i train in if you just want to fight and get your face on camera do what Kimbo does and film yourslef street brawling.
    This isn't a couple of guys on a forum being ****ed off this is the general mma population speaking out against someone with no respect. If you've got a problem with that, fine, but its your problem

10. slipthejab

What is?
    There is some sort of general consensus that Lesnar is disrespectful because he speaks his mind and doesn't sugar coat his talk. Rubbish.
    Oh boo-hoo... IT IS MAINSTREAM!!! Have you seen the advertising, products, the media, the PPV broadcast saturation!?!? Where the hell have you been... it is mainstream!

Poor argument here. Really poor. You're implying that anyone who likes Lesnar is somehow not proud of their gym. :rolleyes:

Then you start in with Kimbo. Kimbo and Lesnar are worlds apart... if you can't understand that then I'd have to wonder how long you've been in the fight game.

ROTFLMAO!!!
    Okayyyyyyyyyy... Mr. Spokesperson for the general MMA population. What a load of pap. Seriously how long have you been watching the fights? I'm guessing it's not that many years. If it was you'd understand that the hype and the hustle IS the cash cow for mainstream sports... and make no mistake MMA is fast becoming a very mainstream sport. The rivalries... the trash talk... what do you think makes it one of the most anticipated fights of recent times?!? Exactly that hype exactly that difference in style and expression.

A big old wrassler who came from the WWF or some choreographed wrestling-o-rama handed out some whoop ass on a fighter.. it hurts fan boys feelings to think it could happen. Well too bad it did and there was never any love lost between the two for whatever reason... that is what it is...

But again... Mir either needs to change his gameplan or move aside. I think we saw that he chose to move aside. Let's see if he gets a rematch and what he does... but if you think the fight game exists outside of the world of trash talk and grudges and all that... you need to start getting to more fights.

So please top trying to paint it like you're some handwringing mother worrying about their fledgling child... MMA will become mainstream... do you have any idea of the revenue involved in it? The marketing... jeezuz Christ just the fact that the Ferititta bro's are involved smells of financial success on a very massive commercial level... eg. mainstream.

So like I said... if you have any credible evidence that Lesnar is a roid-monster then put it on the plate son. You might also want to take a look at what Lesnar actually said post fight and consider how easily your panties are knotted.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  11. Southpaw535

Alright points taken I'll go back to my corner

12. slipthejab

hahah no worries. I don't get that worked up about it... because at the end of the day I know that any dude as big as Brock that has wrestled in college and lived in the physical culture as long as he has... let's face it... ain't never going to be an easy task once he's clued up and ready to go.

I think a lot of people don't like him because he's not coming across as congenial as the Gracies or whoever...or maybe its his pro wrestling background... ppffft.. I don't get it... man even that takes a boatload of athletic talent and training. Christ look at his work ethic alone. That stems from his years winning college wrestling titles... his competitive drive as well. That is highly respectable in my book.

I took what he said as rather good humored:

“Frank Mir had a horseshoe up his ass. I told him that a year ago. I pulled it out of him and beat him over the head with it. [Now] I’m going to drink a Coors Light. That’s right a Coors. Bud Light don’t pay me nothing. I may even get on top of my wife tonight.”

:p

Come on man at least that much trash gets talked in gyms here and there's a whole lot less at stake... ahhah:hat:

13. GrappleorWrestle

GrappleorWrestle Valued Member

Brock came from the WWE and that's what he is known for. Maybe he hasn't completely transitioned from the WWE to the UFC. And maybe he never will.

I never like fighters flipping off the crowd. I do not care if it's Brock, the Diaz brothers, or Tito. And I laughed at his comment about getting on top of his wife.

Get rid of Tito and bring in Brock. UFC just wanted another bad boy they could market.

14. Southpaw535

thats the problem I'v got. I'm happy to have someone who can fight like Brock can but it is the ego and lack of respect for anyone (admittedly I did chuckle at some of the things he said). I get it comes with the territory sometimes before you say anything Slip but it doesn't mean I have to like it

15. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

In the first fight, Lesnar got caught by Mir in a lock and was forced to tap. It was pretty unrealistic to think he would do it again. The result of the fight was fairly predictable. Lesnar used his superior size & strength and gave Mir a beating. Mir should have seen it coming. Lesna was not the epitome of class in post fight but neither was the crowd for booing him in the first place. What was the end result? The heavyweight divison got more interesting for the first time in a while to a lot of people. Now you got the upcoming season of TUF being totally devoted to heavyweights, probably to find a couple monsters that can hang with Lesnar. Sounds like a smart business plan by the UFC, no?

My favorite was Henderson and Bisping. Bisping got hit and went down faster than a blonde on prom night. That's surely one for the highlight reels. Bisping apparently has been talking trash to Henderson on the show (didn't watch it) so Henderson took advantage to tee off on him before the ref actually stopped the fight. I guess you may want to reconsider talking trash to a guy who may be in a position to drop a forearm on your unconscious face. Oops.

Akiyama had at least two rounds and and the third was close to call. Despite what mental giant, Joe Rogan said, Belcher lost. I will be interested in seeing Akiyama again now that he's got first fight stress out of the way.

All in all, it was a pretty good fight card. Cheers!

16. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Slip I see where you are coming from and you have some valid points but at the same time bad sportsmanship is bad sportmanship. Lesnar himself admitted in the post fight interview that a lot of the stuff he spouts in the ring is a throwback to his WWE career and he also agreed that he needed to change it if he wanted to become a respected champion. No-one disrespects his athletic ability or his fighting prowess it's purely about his attitude and the level of respect he shows for his opponents. Smack talking is a part of the UFC promotion and in many cases there is bad blood between the competitors but, by and large, after the fighting is over the smack talking disappears very quickly.

I remember for instance watching a recent UFC (maybe with Matt Hughes?) where there was an insane amount of smack talking going on but afterwards the fighters hugged and in the post match interviews both fighters spoke respectfully of each others ability. It doesn't mean they suddenly love each other's personality it just means they are giving credit where it is due. This is not the way Brock treats his opponents after the fight has ended... instead his antics show a genuine lack of respect. After the Mir fight for instance, there was a moment where until officials and trainers jumped in, it looked like he was getting ready to smack down Mir again despite the fact he was visibly dazed and barely able to stand. Now that may just be hype but if it is, it's the wrong kind of hype. It's the kind of hype that might be profitable and make certain people want to watch but it's also the kind of hype that serious fans and martial artists who respect the sport are going to hate.

Brock does come across occasionally as a sincere and decent athlete and there is no denying he is a force to be reckoned with but for his sake as much as anyone else's he needs to drop the WWE attitude. Otherwise he will simply remain as he currently is, one of the most hated UFC fighters.

There was a really good article on all this though which kind of argues your points slip I'll see if I can dig it up. It basically pointed out that guys like Tito didn't kill the sport but actually helped it grow in popularity and that back in the old day the Gracies were hardly shy about criticising their opponents and so on... was very well written gotta see if I can get it again!

17. MaxG

MaxG Valued Member

No. The general consensus is that ANY fighter that flips off the crowd is being disrespectful. Not to just the crowd but the sport itself.

I've been watching since UFC 1. I've never seen ANYONE flip off the crowd before. I've seen Nate Diaz booed, Tito Ortiz booed, even GSP booed. NONE of them resorted to a ridiculous action as flipping off the crowd. Tito flipped off Shamrock. Other fighters flip off other fighters but you flip off the crowd that's paying your bills you're an idiot. Lesner talked more trash AFTER he had won (let's get something straight NO ONE is belittling his performance DURING the fight). ANYONE who talks **** AFTER the fight generally get's booed and it's been that way since UFC 1.

Anytime someone posts what another's supposed "feeling's" are on a subject it's pure speculation unless proven otherwise. General consensus that I see here is that Lesner did a good job during the fight. It's his actions and pretty ridiculous WWE antics that no one wants in the UFC. People watch UFC for great fights not for fake pro-wrestling antics.

I did and it seems to me that everything he said was that he screwed up. He admitted screwing up and he apologized for it, but it seems you're defending his WWE antics when even HE says that they were wrong. :confused:

Just for the record it was me that said roid rage and again for the record what I said was "If I didn't know UFC tested their fighters I'd say roid rage in a second... " I don't see any accusation there of Lesner USING steroids. If anything it's a comment on how Lesner COULDN'T be on steroids since the UFC tests. Reading comprehension ftw.

Exactly. And last time I checked this was a sport. Trash talking is EXPECTED in mma not ridiculous antics as flipping off the crowd. What next? Grabbing your crotch and mouthing "**** it" to the fan that doesn't like you?

18. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

I do think Lesnar gets a disproportionate amount of hate (which I think led him to excessively celebrate). In general the MMA community (those who are really into it) don't like him and have given him little credit. So he probably really enjoyed rubbing everyone's nose in it.

There have been so many excuses about him. The first time I saw him fight I, personally, was amazed. I didn't become a fan, mind you, I just thought, "Holy cow. This guys is going to tear through the division. Crocop better cut to LHW!!!" :) And I still felt this way after Mir beat him. The guy was taking Mir down at will and beating him to the punch.

Of course I'd like to see Crocop as champion...but guys like Lesnar might regulate previous 'top heavyweights' to the bench.

19. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Lesnar's an impressive fighter, no doubt. You couldn't pay me ANY sum of money to get into the ring with him. What I'm about to say is not in any way a knock on his fighting ability, or Mir fanboyism (I really have no feelings about Mir whatsoever), or anything like that.

The UFC was supposed to be a sport, not a spectacle, and in ANY sport, sportsmanship is important. Lesnar's behavior is disrespectful to his opponent and the sport itself and is inexcusable. Full stop. Dana White was right to take him aside and make him apologize, but honestly, I rather would have seen a suspension like you would see in the National Football League.

20. liero

liero Valued Member

I personally dont think that would be effective, Suspensions work because teams play on a week to week basis. What are you going to do, Tell Lesnar he cant fight for 3 months? He probobly wouldnt any way.

The only serious punishment, could be taking his title. Which is unfair! He earnt it the hard way.

Or kicking him out of the UFC, which would be a terrible business decision.

What they could do, is tell him, and make him see the error of his actions. Then make him publicly accept that his behaviour was innapropriate and have him apologize to the people he insulted.

And thats what happened:)