UFC 100

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by callsignfuzzy, Jul 6, 2009.

1. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Who you got?

Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir: Lesnar was off to a good start last time. If he can keep his wits about him, I think he can win this one.

GSP vs. Thiago Alves: Avles has knockout power, mostly in the form of knees. He's got strong leg kicks too; not sure when GSP has had to face those before. I've still got St-Pierre here. If he can back Alves up and continually put him on the ground, he can win the match.

Dan Henderson vs. Michael Bisping: I'll give Bisping more of a chance than most others would, but he's a slow starter and Henderson has the power, wrestling, and experience to put him off his game. I'm calling Henderson by SD.

Jon Fitch vs. Paulo Thiago: I don't see how anyone could see Thiago's win over Koscheck as anything but a fluke. Fitch is a survivor, and as long as he doesn't get caught he should take this one.

Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Alan Belcher: Akiyama is another rugged fighter with international experience. Belcher is a tough guy with brutal stand-up. While I haven't seen too many of Akiama's matches, if he can get Belcher to the ground, he should be able to win the fight.

Stephan Bonnar vs. Mark Coleman: Part of me wants to see a Coleman renaissance and knows that Bonnar has been stiffled by good wrestlers before. Another part is a much bigger fan of Bonnar, who always seems either a win away from being top 10 or a loss away from getting cut. Smart money says Coleman, based on Bonnar's performance against Evans, but I'm pulling for "The American Psycho".

Jim Miller vs. Mac Danzig: Danzig, based on experience. He's got so much promise but never seems to have his act together.

Dong Hyun Kim vs. TJ Grant: Kim. Here's hoping he can move up the WW ladder.

Jon Jones vs. Jake O'Brien: Jones is more entertaining. Stylistically, he also brings better striking to the table. I'm pulling for him.

CB Dollaway vs. Tom Lawlor: Dollaway, because he has a better up-side.

Matt Grice vs. Shannon Gugerty: Gugerty. Have to go with the dude who has a girl's name. According to Johnny Cash, it makes you tougher!

2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Don't forget about GSP's Kyokushin days when he was younger. Lots of leg kicks in Kyokushin.

3. callsignfuzzy

True enough, but the best indicator of how someone performs in the ring is to review their past fight performances, and I can't recall GSP ever facing a guy who wanted to leg-kick him the way Alves probably will. Lots of guys train a certain way but can't translate it well when crunch time comes. So maybe, between his Kyokushin and Muay Thai training, GSP is prepared. But since we've never seen how he reacts to a guy who fights like that, it's a bit of an X factor at the moment.

4. RussianKenpo05

RussianKenpo05 Valued Member

Im pullin for GSP due to his kyokushin background(I have a soft sport for TMA base fighters). However, I really don't know which way it will go, considering how badly Alves mutilated Hughes :D :D

5. callsignfuzzy

In fairness, Hughes hasn't looked the same since he left the Miletich camp. Plus, Alves never made weight for that fight.

Not saying Alves isn't dangerous; obviously he is. Just that his past two performaces should have an asterisk by them (Koscheck was a late replacement).

It should be a very interesting match. I suspect the tone will be set roughly two minutes into the first. Either Alves will have stuffed GSP's takedowns and be battering him with strikes, or he'll be on his back eating elbows.

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Lesnar v Mir - I call Lesnar. His main weakness is his lack of submission experience (which is what did for him in their first encounter). I don't see him getting caught this time around. I predict Mir will get pounded like Ian Freeman did to him all those years ago and lose to a second round TKO when the ref steps in.

GSP v Alves - I call a GSP with a third round TKO from brutal GnP. Alves will give him a test standing in the first but won't be able to stuff GSP's superior wrestling and control.

Bisping v Henderson - I think Bisping will kick ass early doors but then Henderson's wrestling will start to dominate and he'll win by JD. I'd like Bisping to get it though.

Fitch v Thiago - Fitch all the way. The dude is a machine and would probably be champ if it wasn't for a certain French Canadian sitting on the top spot. Some nasty GnP and then a surprise sub to finish.

Bonnar v Coleman - Coleman will dominate early on, gas in the third minute of round one, limp huffing into round 2 and then get pounded out in a ref stoppage in round 3.

Jones v O'Brien - Jones is my new favourite fighter. He'll do some crazy sheet, a nice greco throw and win by sheer confusion with a JD.

All the rest I don't know enough about to call either way.

7. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Alan Belcher
    Belcher was screwed. No way could you score all three rounds for Akiyama.
    Dan Henderson vs. Michael Bisping
    Bisping is now stripped of his nationality :D. I dunno what happened there but Bisping was not on form. Good win by hendo though and that second punch was beasty!
    Georges St-Pierre vs. Thiago Alves
    I've never seen GSP fight before and only new him by reputation and this was a great fight. Not much I can say bout it really it was jsut a great fight.
    Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir
    Lesnar lost any respect I had for him after that fight. Dont think he'll lose any sleep over it though. Good fight if a little short, good to see lesnar fighting smart

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2009
  8. SB1970

SB1970 Valued Member

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:Thanks for the spoilers fella-some of us had recordered it to watch later-no point now:confused:

9. Flinty

Flinty aspiring nak muay

to southpaw (as to not repost the spoiler again)

yeah maybe should have thrown some spoiler tags in there or put SPOILER in bold before... maybe the mods will fix it.. thought theyve went over that a bunch though...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  10. RussianKenpo05

RussianKenpo05 Valued Member

I won't add my input, just in case the spoiler post gets deleted and not everyone has seen it. Great card...but Lesnar is a bloody douche.

11. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Dude... WTF?!?! Where is your spoilers tag and all that?!
    Come on.... this shouldn't be your first bbq.:rolleyes:

12. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

13. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Suggest that people use the SPOILER tags in future, as I got more complaints about this one post than about the most recent cheap trainer spam bot!

14. Southpaw535

Crap. sorry people forgot all about them it was some stupid time in the morning. Sorry guys

15. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Do it again and you get the :ban:.... :p

Ok so how long do we need to wait before openly discussing the blood, the beatdowns and the brilliance that were UFC 100??!!

Man oh man...

16. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

If they haven't seen it by now they are not really trying:evil:

17. callsignfuzzy

Hey, Slip.

Spoiler tags are in effect until 24 hours after the event. After that it's free reign.

I've read the results on Sherdog, but have to actually look them up live myself. The hazards of visiting my parents in a town with a population of 2000, I suppose.

18. GrappleorWrestle

GrappleorWrestle Valued Member

I would like your opinion on a few things if you all do not mind:

Akiyama vs. Belcher:

How did you all score this fight? I see it torn on many forums I visit to read about the fights. I actually scored it 29-28 for Sexyama myself. How did you all score it?

Hendo vs. Bisping:

Holy crap, what an explosive ending! Bisping saying Hendo couldn't KO him and all the people calling him "Decision Dan" have had an eye opener. Never underestimate a legend. And how did you all feel about the second hit? I have my reply ready!

Lesnar vs. Mir:

Brock was a complete jerk. He must still think that he is in the WWE and those antics are welcome. I did not appreciate his attitude or antics post-fight. But I give credit to Mir for his post-fight interview. He admitted his mistakes and said he needs to improve.

I still need to watch the prelims!

19. Southpaw535

Akiyama vs. Belcher:
    I scored it 29-28 Belcher. He definately won the last round and the fact that a judge scored it 30-27 Akiyama makes the whole decision questionable wether he won the first two rounds or not. I'm torn in the second round it was pretty close but I gave it to Belcher. just

Hendo vs. bisping
    the second punch? Jesus christ!! was my reaction. that was power no other way of putting it. But did you think Bisping was really on form? not taking away from Hendo he deserved to win adn he did it explosively but I wouldn't have imagined bisping would keep making the same mistake like that usually

Lesnar vs. Mir
    Both of this guys are to stuck up for my liking but like you was impressed with Mir's post fight. I thought he stood upto Lesnar after the fight at first but either way Lesnar was a ****. No excuse for that interview and he needs to wind his neck in. It was a shame though he seemed to have got the hang of the respect in mma in his last couple fights and he just killed it for no reason

20. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Akiyama vs. Belcher
    I had it scored 29-28 to Akiyama. Just... He really didn't impress me though. He made no attempt to use his Judo except till the end of the third round and he scored a good takedown as soon as he did. He also seemed to gas and lose all power from early in the second round... which was weird because he remained cocky and kept his hands down. I didn't appreciate Belcher's premature celebration at the end and was glad when he lost the decision.

Hendo vs. Bisping
    Bisping looked like the cut in weight really effected him, he seemed like he had no power in his shots compared to Henderson and also looked kinda deflated. He was doing an ok job staying out and throwing quick one-two's but it was only a matter of time before the right hand landed and you could tell that Henderson had him completely outclassed in terms of power. As for the second shot, I'd say he knew he was out but it was all those months of frustration coming out. Like he said in the pre-match interviews he does his talking in the ring. It was a bit uncalled for but also the whole knockout serves as a bit of a wakeup call for Bisping that he's not as hot as he thinks. Henderson also seems like a really down to earth guy.

Lesnar vs. Mir
    Unfortuantely, Brock completely dominated and looked to have really nailed down that hold down and pummel the opponent ground game he has. His post match idiocy was took to all new heights however and you can say how well it went down with the fans with all the boos he received. He really doesn't seem to be able to drop the WWE persona and it's a shame because like Southpaw says he did on occasion prior to this fight seem to be starting to get the hang of this whole sportsmanship thing. Mir despite being bloodied to a pulp was by contrast very gracious in the post match interview and received a much better response from the crowd. I'm not really sure how the UFC has now to challenge Lesnar but they certainly have a marketable bad guy or a t least a guy that everyone would love to see get smashed to pieces. His comment about getting on top of his wife was also just the icing on the cake.

GSP vs. Alves
    Let's face it GSP is one of the greatest champions ever. He's humble, he respects his opponents, he has phenomenal skills and now we can add that he destroys people even when he gains an excrutiating injury mid way through the fight. Alves to his credit also kept fighting up to the very end and I think that given enough time to work on his take down defence he could pose a threat to GSP. At the minute though he's just on a whole different level. He took down Alves at will and his standup wasn't too bad either. Look forward to his next fight though I have no idea who can test him either. He is a perfect contrast of how a champion should be when compared with Brock.