UFC 1 on Youtube

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Pretty In Pink, May 31, 2019.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

The difference in skill between then and now is unbelievable. Royce looks like a passable white belt and Ken's heel hook wouldn't see him through an average no-gi class.

It's crazy to see where it started and how much it evolved since.

Jaydub, Mushroom and axelb like this.
  2. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Definitely a massive improvement in the skill pool since then. There is no doubt that the UFC and MMA ruleset has been a catalyst for all martial artists skill level.

Mix in the information age and the standards have been raised significantly.

3. Botta Dritta

Botta Dritta Valued Member

First time that I ever watched the whole lot. The Zane Frazier vs Kevin Rosier bout looked like a brawling slugfest! Skill definitely took a dive there. Only Royce Gracie, Ken Shamrock and Gerard Gordeau looked comfortable with their respective skillsets.

4. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

It was nice to watch this - thanks for sharing

Wow - how things have come on!

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

They've uploaded a pile of classic fights!

It's crazy how safe MMA feels now when in its day the early UFC felt so dangerous.

(I know the ruleset and the level of medical attention available has changed too)

axelb and Jaydub like this.
  6. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

It's nice watching these again
    I remember seeing them way back in the day and thinking: What the hell is Brazilian JJ, surely there's only Japanese JJ? Why don't the brazilian guys know the older ways of striking? and wow pure strikers are screwed..

Shame really as I kinda wrote BJJ off as a crude made up kinda thing and now I wish I'd engaged in it earlier

axelb and Frodocious like this.
  7. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

Am I the only one who preferred this “old-school” format to the UFC that we have today?

8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

By old school do you mean the rules or the largely clueless fighters taking part?

9. Pretty In Pink

Yeah. In all honesty the biggest difference is the ability of fighters nowadays. Any 145er and up in the UFC now would have won that first UFC regardless of rules.

10. icefield

icefield Valued Member

No doubt true but take the gloves off, allow headbutts, groin shots and hair pulling, no time limits , no standups, headkicks to a grounded opponent and it might make it look a little different :):D

11. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

Mostly The rules.

I liked how the competitors were not professional fighters like you would see this day and age. It had more of an amateur feel to it.

I also liked how it served as a proving ground to truly pressure test your training and your style. It shook up a lot of preconceptions and dispelled some myths about the martial arts. It also drove the point home that you can’t be an effective all-around fighter and ignore ground fighting.

axelb likes this.
  12. Pretty In Pink

I sort of get what you're saying. I know that people will always ALWAYS shar vidoes of people fighting on facebook more than they ever will MMA bouts. There is something a lot mot visceral about it. Those early fights looked like that.

13. Dead_pool

If you have a love of mismatches, there's always One FC to watch!

14. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I thought you wrote the above for a sec and it was a Dan Severn reference :oops:

Dead_pool likes this.
  15. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

I know it has been discussed on this forum before, but the Fred Ettish story illustrates what I like about old-school UFC. He was a traditional Karate practitioner whom entered UFC 2 as a way to test his skills. He was defeated pretty badly, but he learned from the experience.

After pressure testing his style, Fred Ettish was able to evolve into a better martial artist because of it.

axelb likes this.
  16. Dead_pool

I wish I had written that!!

Although I don't think Angela Lee would be quite as alluring with a 'tash!

axelb, David Harrison and Jaydub like this.
  17. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Nice comeback story!

and welcome back to MAP @Jaydub :)

Jaydub likes this.