Uchi Mata & Hane

Discussion in 'Judo' started by hardball, Mar 24, 2013.

1. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Looking for mechanical tips on doing Uchi mata and hane. Seems I'm having trouble remembering these throws since I haven't done them in a very long time. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Would you consider these inner lifting throws? Any vids or pics would be appreciated.

2. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The leg lift (Uchi mata) is to use your leg to lift the inside of your opponent's upper leg while pull his opposite side arm down.

I'll suggest you to train both leg lift (Uchi mata) and inner hook (Ouchi Gari) together. Both techniques can be applied with the same set up. Also to lift one of your opponent's legs off and then attack his only standing leg will be a nice strategy and less effort too.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Have you studied them in judo hardball?

4. hardball

hardball Valued Member

No, did them in Jujitsu.

5. hardball

hardball Valued Member

I always wondered was the groin/private parts a target when doing this throw for street combat?

6. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

If that's your goal, you should keep some distance between you and your opponent. This way you can use your lower leg (or ankle) to deal with your opponent's nuts.

IMO, if you use your upper leg on your opponent's groin, he can borrow your lifting force, jump on your back, and crush you down to the ground. If you only deal with one of his legs, he can't jump and "ride" on you.

7. Bomber

Bomber Valued Member

A stray leg hitting the groin in uchi mata is far less devastating than getting smashed with the throw. As such I would suggest that a mechanically efficient throw is far more desirable than a poorer version that attempts to hit the groin.

Uchi mata is categorised as a leg technique by the Kodokan. The leg hits the inner thigh and lifts your opponent up. However, it can be and is often also performed as a hip technique where the leg acts as a guide to stop ones opponent slipping off the hip.

Setting up the technique, effective gripping and knowing when to attack are as important as the actual mechanics. Generally to launch a successful uchimata attack your opponent needs to be standing square to you or in a mirror stance (i.e. southpaw vs othodox). A straight right foot forward vs right foot forward stance makes uchi mata difficult as a 180 degree turn is required to enter. Your opponent also needs to have their legs apart (obvious but worth mentioning). Before attacking you are best trying to set up the above positions by pulling/pushing/attacking your opponent (too many variations to deal with in a forum post). If you can get them leaning on you a little this can help to.

In terms of grips a sleeve lapel offers good all round control and allows you to move between throws. However, for self defence this leaves your head a little more exposed to punches. Gripping behind your opponents neck or over their back offers good head control but is slightly more limited in terms of the range of techniques one can employ vs a collar grip. However, you can tuck your head and keep it safe. A grip under the arm pit can be good when attacking an opponent who has a high collar grip.

With regards kuzushi (breaking the balance) there are endless entries and methods. Personally I use a behind the neck grip and lock my opponent into me then turn and throw (breaking the balance as I turn). Or I use a high sleeve pull whilst dropping and turning into them.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  8. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Nice post Bomber command ..

9. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Nice post, what can you say about hane goshi?

10. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

The throwing leg goes to the side as opposed to backward ...

Quick reply as off to training

Smurf

11. benkei

benkei Valued Member

Great post by bomber on uchimata.

For hane goshi, think Uki goshi with a side kick at the end. There is really no simpler way to put it.

12. jitz

jitz New Member

I am a 100 percent better at the Uki Goshi then the Hane Goshi. Hane Goshi is a killer on my hip when I load up the Tori. I do the Uki Goshi so much smoother.