U-Shaped Block/Grasp

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by paulol, Mar 21, 2008.

1. paulol

paulol Valued Member

Hi Folks,

I have made a video for an application we use for this movement for the article series i write in "Irish Fighter" magazine here called "Whats The Point?"

This is part 7 of the series...

[ame]http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=dApCO3d5ldc[/ame]

2. tomass911

tomass911 Valued Member

I think the "whats the point" covers it tbh, i like that your finding your own applications for techniques that would be thought useless, but in self defence i think it is best to stick to the simple techniques that have been proven to work.

unless ofcourse you can show this in a live situation with someone punching you and not with you saying when or how then i will take what ive said back.

my 2 cents

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Right haymaker is about the most common attack against adult males. Others may chip in to confirm/deny that.

Perhaps, as opposed to an entirely negative post, you might post some of your ideas for defence against this technique, suggestions or ideas for improvements in the attack, or anything further tomass911?

Not having a go fella, just wanting to stimulate a debate :)

Mitch

4. bulkathos72

bulkathos72 Valued Member

I have caught people trying to punch like that,but a good tap to the chin fixes the problem.

5. paulol

paulol Valued Member

and you don't think that a throw like this will work :D i've seen this in action at a night club door. but how it worked then is how it would work at any other time. the person who pulled it off had trained long and hard at performing the throw from the basic step by step stage to the sparring stage.

for me this is quite a simple technique and much more realistic than the original application.

that was not the scope of this video. the throw was done slowly to show how the movement could be used to add an extra dimension to your martial arts and not be stuck in one range.

pushing this to the sparring test can lead to a messy technique, even if it was still effective which would not really make the point of the article and video.

you may want to keep them in your pocket :D

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  6. paulol

paulol Valued Member

sometimes hitting people on the chin or anywhere near the head is not an option for someone.

the attacker is also not moving in hard and fast as this is not sparring, just showing the throw in a slow context to break down the movement and see how the movements can be related to the U-Shaped Block/Grasp.

when we push throw defences the attacks are stepped up also once gloves are worn etc.

7. bulkathos72

I agree hitting on the chin or head is not always applicable.

lol I understand

lol I just ment I have caught a few people like that and rather then throw them. I would strike them. I find it to be an easier way to deal with an inexperienced fighter in a streetfight. Especially if your kinda of drunk. I have practiced that throw in sparring before.

:D

8. paulol

paulol Valued Member

:D

it totally depends on what your used to, a person trained in grappling would go for a throw first before a trained striker. my students are not totally restricted to strikes in training and so my hope is that they will not be restricted to strikes in defending themselves in a scrap.

the guy in the video with me works in a security job for a department store and is restricted in what he can to arrest a suspect. so the fact that we work on more than just strikes has helped him no end.
    ;)

9. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

For me, these points are key to this video.

There is no point in demonstrating a technique with a lightening quick demo - for people to understand how the technique works, it needs to be broken down and done slowly (remember when you were first taught to kick/punch).

10. bulkathos72

Also, terrain is another factor. In tight spaces, Like a deck, I wouldn't throw.

11. paulol

paulol Valued Member

yeah, i hate being at garden parties and someone starts up :D :D

real self defence training involves situational and evironmental awareness. knowing what techniques are suitable to use in certain situaitons and conditions is 90% with 10% being actually having the thing work for you at all.

totally agree with you.

12. bulkathos72

lol :D

lol Throws, are very usefull for avoiding jail or prison time.

13. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

Paulol - i thought the technique was effective enough. Stepping in rather than waiting definitely puts you in the stronger position, balance wise. We do some similar techs in Goshinkwai. We have one technique which the kids call the' superman move' which is very effective against roundhouse punches, basically as the punch comes in, you dive forward into the arm with both your arms straight out in front of you, to take the impact of the punch and take his balance, then one hand grabs the attacking arm and the other puts an elbow into the side of the head(or the jaw in the kids classes), sliding the elbow down and then bringing back up under the jaw. Does the job.

14. paulol

paulol Valued Member

sounds lovely :D

15. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

I liked it and its a decent take on the move IMO :)

Stuart

16. paulol

paulol Valued Member

cheers ;)

can i put that on the promotions for my club now :D :D

17. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

Hey if it helps.. feel free lol :cool:

18. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

That throw has been used quite a few times in 'live' MMA competitions.