Tyson Fury v. Deontay Wilder, the Final Chapter

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Grond, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Ok, I've been holding off posting this to give people a chance to catch up and see some or all of this fight but wow. Easily one of the best boxing matches to occur during my lifetime, if not the last century.

For some context, this was the outcome of their first match three years ago. A draw.

Full fight of their second meeting, February 2020.

Here we are fight night, October 2021. Words are exchanged.

Highlights.

2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Fury was robbed in the first fight I think he won all three handily and the American commentators on the 3rd fight were so bias lol.
    Wilder has some impressive power but Fury out boxed and out thought him and had him in no ends of trouble in the later rounds.

Great fight though

Grond and axelb like this.
  3. jmf552

jmf552 Member

What is hilarious is all the excuses Wilder and his camp are throwing out. There seem to be new ones every day.
    • The lead excuse right now is that the costume Wilder wore on the pre-fight walk weighed 40 pounds and that weakened his legs. BTW, the costume cost $40K. Wilder himself used this excusse openly to the media.
    • Another excuse is that the boxing commission allowed Fury to use horsehair-padded gloves and that due to Fury's heritage of being an Irish Traveler, he was genetically predispositioned toward bare-knuckle boxing, so that wasn't fair. FWIW, horsehair padded gloves transmit more force, so they can deliver more power on a punch, but they don't protect the hands as well. Wilder could have used them also if he chose to. Also, FWIW, Fury has never done bare-knuckle boxing, so this is purely an ethnic prejudice.
    • Wilder published an x-ray that showed a bone in his hand was broken during the fight. I guess it's good he didn't use horsehair gloves!
    • His trainer should not have thrown in the towel.
    • The ref should have disqualified Fury for some of his punches and moves during the fight.
    You guys heard any other excuses? This is getting entertaining!

Grond likes this.
  4. Botta Dritta

Botta Dritta Valued Member

Yeah, the bias was grating as the fight went on "I'm I watching the same fight there?" I thought from round 6 onwards. I thought Wilder looked easily gassed from the 8th round. As Fury racked up number punches connected I thought, that after Wilders knockdown in the 10th the fight should have probably be stopped as it was clear he was on the verge of not being able to defend himself. That being said a gustsy performance taking all that punishment, and still having the ability to land bombs when needed.

Fury? I've always said he's more skillful than people give him credit for. he just doesn't box aesthetically thats all..

5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I re-watched it without the commentators and apart from the first few rounds it was very one sided, that knock down in the 10th which the commentators called a slip, should have ended the fight

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    Grond, axelb and Botta Dritta like this.
  6. jmf552

jmf552 Member

What a lot of commentators gloss over is Fury was winning 8 out of 10 rounds going into the 11th. Fury could have just done a "dance off" for the last two rounds and won. Also, Fury landed 150 total punches in the fight compared to Wilder's 72.

7. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I'm gonna just go out and say it.

Tyson Luke Fury is the new Irish GOAT. Subject to change due to bad behaviors but...not here. Christ it's about time, too. Sorry.

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I have to say I was really impressed with Wilder. Took some monstrous shots and still kept coming. He's clearly more athletic and explosive than Fury but just doesn't have the ring smarts and boxing education to match.
    If Wilder started boxing at 10 rather than 20 (iirc), like Fury, he'd be more of a monster than he is.

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Wilder is also an extremely poor loser and ungracious in defeat never thought anyone could make fury look good but he manages it

10. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Is everybody familiar with this? There was some controversy over Tyson's "real name" but in reality the kid was born at just one pound and his dad, after losing two premature girls, named him after Mike Tyson.

I'm binge watching this fight over and over, it's like a dragon's treasure.

Tyson Fury: The Incredible Story Behind His Name

jmf552 likes this.
  11. Grond

Grond Valued Member

This story took an interesting twist that makes the outcome even greater. Apparently Fury only had under four weeks to train for the finale of the trilogy. He went into the fight with serious elbow injuries and only a few weeks to train, and was in pain the entire fight forcing him to engage Wilder on the inside where Tyson isn't as good. His jab was practically useless. And he had elbow surgery after the fight, too.

On top of surviving COVID in July, and almost losing his newborn daughter in August. What a champ.

John Fury says Tyson was injured before Deontay Wilder 3 ⋆ Boxing News 24

[​IMG]

axelb likes this.