Typical Attack Methods

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by Judderman, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

What do people think the most common methods of physical attack are that you are likely to encounter on the street eg. hit here, grabbed there?

Budo.

2. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

a push or sucker punch usually starts a fight from my experience.

3. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Where is this punch usually aimed?

4. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

Face, back of the head, side. Always the head, just depends on the angle.

5. DaisyW

DaisyW New Member

I agree with eightfold path. A sucker punch to the back of the head was my experience in an attack by strangers (male) on the street.

Recently I read that men rarely attack women the way they attack other men, but I suspect this depends on whether or not they know you and how private the location of the attack is. Extrapolating from my own experiences here, maybe the more public the location and the less they know you the more likely men are to attack with "more effective" methods like punching that might neutralize a woman quickly. I guess it also depends on their objective.

6. Flashing Dagger

Flashing Dagger Valued Member

I generally agree although I would assume that an unprovoked street attack would either include more than 1 attacker or would occur from a blindside or be a surprise. It's probably safe to assume that street thugs do not "square-up" to a victim and that a quick knife in the back or an attack from a dark corner would be their style.

7. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

Seen a few fights started (and finished) by headbutts.

8. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

Budo,

Because they have never been in a REAL Self-Protection situation in their lives and probably the so called "master" teaching them never has either!

The only thing you can expect is the un-expected!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are there common ways a person can attack you? Yes, but don't rely on them for your training on someone trying to rape, kidnap or rob you cause they are going to use surprise and tactics not taught at your dojo!

Sincerely,
    Teacher: Eddie Ivester

9. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

There are statistically more likely ways of being attacked. If you train for them then surely you are increasing your chances of surviving an attack? That doesn't mean that you don't train against other attacks.

10. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

Try searching the web for "habitual acts of violence" or "haov". This should produce several different lists of commonly occurring assaults.

Mike

11. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Thanks Mike, that has proved useful.

Are there any other thoughts?

What about common set ups? Its been a while since I heard "What you (insert expletive) lookin' at?" as a challenge to fight.

Budo.

12. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

These are the two types of setups we train the most for in self defense:

Say no evil: There's a phrase used in Blauer systems: "if they talk they can be convinced to walk." Basically, even in an escalating situation, talking is always a good sign. What you need to watch out for is if the person has lost the ability to speak (ie. abruptly stops speaking). That's a sign that they've kicked into a higher (techincally lower) mode of operation. When everything in pumping (regardless of what you see in a Spiderman comic) your typically temporarily incapible of speech (this is a cognative issue). This typically leads to blind rage.

The Distraction: The attacker will look off, make it appear that they're leaving, and then engage. Or they might focus your attention on something. Like pointing at your watch. This is pretty common for muggings. They'll often approach you, ask a question and then escalate into the mugging. They're waiting for you to look away or be distracted and then sucker punch you.

- Matt

13. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Excellent points Matt.