Types of fighter

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Monkey_Magic, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

I’m wondering if there are some general categories of fighter (attacking style, counter fighter, long range kicker, etc).

Do you think it’s possible to come up with a list of general types of fighter?

I’m asking because a general list could help in coming up with some generic strategies to practice (e.g. practicing closing the distance against a kicker). Obviously, this approach has its flaws. But it might be a useful tool for training strategy nonetheless.

2. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I fall very definitely into “crap” not sure if that helps though

3. aikiMac

aikiMac "BJJ Over 40" club member Moderator Supporter

Yes, Joe Lewis (the karate/kickboxer) broke it down in one of his books. I don't have the book myself, so I can't quote it to you. My friend has the book, and I looked at it one day. It was brilliant. Maybe you can find it. I'd tell you more, but I don't have the book myself. I can only affirm that the work has already been done for you.

4. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

There are many permutations of the main fighting styles, and a fighter may use one predominantly, but rarely exclusively.

Offensive
    Defensive
    Counter

Offensive works well against defensive
    Defensive works well against counter
    Counter works well against offensive

This is a very high level view, and it becomes more complex.

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  5. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

Thanks. Would you have any idea of the book’s title? (I had a look at Joe Lewis’ books, but it wasn’t clear which included the breakdown you described.)

6. aikiMac

aikiMac "BJJ Over 40" club member Moderator Supporter

It's the "Official JLFS Black belt manual" required for a black belt test. It's $99 (US) on the Joe Lewis webpage, and actually, for someone who is going deep into karate/kickboxing, it's worth the money. It's a seriously good book.

Monkey_Magic likes this.