Two Sword style?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Adam, Jun 11, 2003.

1. The Walker

The Walker Unregistered User

2. The Kestrel

The Kestrel Valued Member

yes.
    If you hold(and use) a wepon with 2 hands, it will have more power, but it will be one hit.
    With two, you have 1/2 power than with the both hands, but you can hit twice and block with one and attack with the other...

At first, it seems like the two swords are better, but the weight.....

3. estranged13

estranged13 ex video game freak

must be heavy having a sword with a 26 foot blade and a 30 foot blade

4. Sphyerion

Sphyerion Valued Member

I'm afraid you're looking at it without taking in all the factors.

One handed gives you more freedom of movement as well.
    Also, while you may argue that the weight is difficult to wield with one hand, you shoudl take into account that over time, you will grow accustomed to the weight. And there are many ways to handle a sword one handed no matter the weight. Also take into account that you can simply choose to use a lighter sword for one handed wielding... and when discussing weight... it's not even a factor when dual-wielding a small weapon such as a dagger...

5. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

well it would appear that you dont do much actually fighting. I've done two weapon fighting and have been able to hity with sufficent force, if I chose, to do damage. I used two axes, two rather long and light swords and other variations.
    I also use a two handed grip, but not for power, I can get power with one arm, for speed there are some techinuqes that can be done faster when you have two hands holding a weapon. and that is all can add Sphyerion said a lot of what I wanted to say.
    But hel I say it any ways either grow stronger or get lighter weapons.

6. The Kestrel

The Kestrel Valued Member

Indeed, swords arent my style. i checked it from a logical way
    But i'm not saying you wont hit hard, yeah, you hit hard, but you hit even harder with two hand in one.It cant be the same force(unless you cant do force with one arm)

And for damage, look for some bruthal weapons, War gadgets if you want to give them a name.

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Uh guys, Musashi is mentioned in the original flipping question. "Musashi style."

8. dogfighter

dogfighter New Member

One can generate much power by learning power points of the body that can help produce great power using one hand style. Back hand strikes launched from the shoulder while twisting the body in the correct motion at the correct time. In rough terrain and uneven or rocky ground the one hand style provides better ballance and flexability especialy on horseback. Also: The free hand can assist in striking. Example: Try a back hand horizontal strike (with a stick) and use your free hand to help push as your strike is being launched and you will see the power generated. Working this technique off of the unbrella block (backhand roof block) is very powerfull and difficult to defend against. The same concept is used with the power points of the body. Main body points are the shoulders, hips,and thighs. Dogbrothers POWER video gives some insight into this area mainly barrowing from the PEKITI TRSIA system of KALI. One sword is more powerfull than two because all of your focus is on one weapon and one purpus be it two hand style or one hand style. The mystery continues. Dogfighter.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2004
  9. Sphyerion

Sphyerion Valued Member

I'm afraid i must disagree here. First off, one should not be focusing upon any sword... to master martial arts, you should saturate your being with your style. Your actions should be natural and reflexive rather than a choice of reasoning and thought at the moment. Focusing on something makes it easy for you to get distracted as well. In this sense, with enough training, two swords wouldn't be a problem because you no longer need to focus on both swords let alone any. You'll wield each sword with the same level of control as you would had you only held one.

10. dogfighter

dogfighter New Member

2 sword

I agree with part of what your saying, but the fact is when it comes to raw power one sword is more powerful than two. Also: When I talk about focus I am not refering to single mindedness or pre-meditated thought or stradige although these states of mind have a place in the whole skeem of things ie. visualazation muscle memory etc.

11. Gryphon Hall

Gryphon Hall Feeling Scholler

Ambidexterity

My brother is actually left-handed, but was taught to do things with his right hand. So when we learned swordplay, he can fence with both the right and left rather well, but differently.

I prefer using one long sword in my right hand and any kind of blocking or trapping weapon on the other. But when I use two hands to hold a sword during a fight, it isn't because of considerations of speed or power, but stability. Sometimes, very rare times, "fencing" with one hand is just too difficult, and requires the other hand to help guide the tip and, ergo, the defense.

When I tried to do double bolo, though, the similarities in length confused me, making me accidentally stab my other hand. :eek: Probably just need more practice.

The brother I just mentioned had no difficulties with sinawali, though.

12. Sphyerion

Sphyerion Valued Member

Care to explain how one hand can have more "raw power" than two? This is logically speaking untrue. Two hands applying force is more than one and at best equal. And beyond that, raw power in my humblest of opinions (and i do note that different opinions do exist on this) isn't important in any way.

And you explain what you are not meaning by focus.. but what DO you mean? It's hard to see how focus can ever be a problem with dual-wielding... it shouldnt' be an issue with any weapon.

13. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

What are two trying to say?

OK here is my opinion humble or not.

Weilding two weapons is like weilding one weapon. You can use just as much of your body when swinging one weapon as you can when swinging two.
    A sword swung at half speed and half power will still cut human flesh so power isnt that imporant. Power isnt as important as placing your strikes cleanly ie good edge placement, proper follow through.
    Power would be more important if you were weilding a blundgeon of some form. And even less so with an axe.

14. shuyun3

shuyun3 Shugyosha

One or two hands (or weapons) power is relative. More muscles do not necessarily translate to more power. A greater range of motion does not translate automatically into power either (or more correctly momentum). M=ma.

In most cases a one handed strike would lack stabilty to take its own recoil when clashing with a double handed strike (personal experience from Gryphon's self dubbed "can opener" vs. my double stick block [double stick but still seprate hands]). But a properly accelerated and chambered strike (don't forget the weapon mass) can take out a double handed (i.e. supported) strike from a proper angle. Double handed strikes appear more powerful because they can take more recoil.

A single handed strike has more range of motion to involve more muscles (both factors considered) to coordinate and accelerate a weapon for maximum striking power. Thus Potentially has greater power. (E.g. compare a doule fisted punch vs. a left cross/hook the maximum power of the left cross/hook is greater than the sum of two fists hitting simulteneously because the hip will not be properly utilzed here.)

As for ambidexterity (I'm a southpaw) I learned to use a weapon on my weaker hand when I learned that it was good to use the alive hand for controlling the enemy's weapon hand. But it was dangerous to do so because flesh does not measure up to steel so then at first I used another weapon to press the enemy's weapon while I struck with my stronger hand. Eventually my support hand learned to attack too.

I can recommend Complete Sinawali by Reynaldo Galang as a good double weapon form manual. It is published by tuttle publications

15. dustIn credible

dustIn credible Valued Member

I like using twin stick swords. I have one that is 41"long the other is more like two Tantos 26" long total not blades......easy to conceal if you need to plus the wood is tough as nails use it as an escrima stick as well or a bo staff for the longer ones.....does anyone know the proper name for double stick swords?

16. cloudgodd

cloudgodd New Member

two swords vs one sword

the power of your strike would depend one the style that you are useing to fight, if what I use and know is Kenjutsu, with this art the power would be the same, seeing how you use only one hand to strike with either way, the reason is weilding one sword with two hands the back hand is pulling the blade while the front hand is pushing the blade for control pruposes, so the front hand is the only hand striking, therefore in kenjutsu, you would get just as much power using one hand or two hands, since nomatter which you use only one hand is striking......Cloud

17. Sphyerion

Sphyerion Valued Member

not entirely true... by using one hand to strike.. and a second hand "pulling" you have what is known as a lever. =) Quite different.

18. cloudgodd

cloudgodd New Member

that is ummmm.....WRONG! When striking in kenjutsu your dominate hand which is the leading hand is pushing the top of the sword forward, and your non-dominate hand the back one is pulling the bottum of the sword, this is where the control over the sword comes from, that is why most practitioners of KENDO, and KENJUTSU practice strike with a Suberito because they are heavy, once you have perfect control over the Suberito, the katana, is nothing is as lite as a feather, but the application still applies, the leading hand pushes, and the rear hand pulls, ask any kenjutsu instructor.....Cloud

19. Sphyerion

Sphyerion Valued Member

okay... lets look at this scientifically ok? "the leading hand is pushing the top of the sword forward, and your non-dominate hand the back one is pulling the bottum of the sword" from your quote here... This describes what is known to man as a "lever" however, the pivot in this case is applying force as well, which only adds to the force. That means... that two hand has more force than one. which disproves" "with this art the power would be the same,"

20. Gryphon Hall

Gryphon Hall Feeling Scholler