Twin High Vertical Punch - Chang Hon

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Earl Weiss, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

Do you perform with fists Vertical / side fist facing down, or slightly angled?

OK, you can take the easy way and refer to Vol II but you also need to check "Addittional Tachnique" Photos For Chun Gun as well as the photos for the move.

However, I would prefer you answer as to what you think the standard is before checking the book.

2. kmorrisonnyc

kmorrisonnyc Valued Member

Master Weiss, great topic sir.

I was taught that:

- Side fists should be facing down
    - Arms should be bent at the point of impact (35-40%)
    - Target is primarily one opponent although it could be utilized against multiple.

However, when I actually was actually performing this just now I noticed - whether subconsciously or not - with the bend in my arms the fists do angle ever so slightly.

One follow up question - do you put more power in one hand over the other? i.e. if you are moving forward in a right Walking Stance are you putting more power into the right hand? (Not sure if this question makes sense but happy clarify if needed).

3. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

side fists down here.
    Twin technique therefore both strike at same time with equal power.

4. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

Not that it is determinative, but keeping fists exactly vertical seems to feel slightly tense. I have more reasons for perhaps making the slight angle, but I will save them after there are mor posts.

As per your followup I would say "probably." For instance, most people do their best power break with a reverse punch so you could say the rear foot side was more powerful. However that typicaly is done in a static stance. If done while stepping or in some cases as specified stamping the lead foot side may be naturaly more powerful. I have absolutley no evidence to support this other than my own feeling of how this works. Optimaly they would be as equal as possible.

5. kmorrisonnyc

kmorrisonnyc Valued Member

Thank you sir - I asked the question because (although I know they should be as equal as possible) I can't help but feel that in some cases (Kwang Gae is the one that springs to mind right now) that when I move forward it feels as if the lead leg/hand generates slightly more power (as you say, may be a function of the stamping).

Another follow up question would then be around the target. As I mentioned in my previous post, my understanding is that it is primarily against one opponent as opposed to two, but that two is possible. Assuming that you agree with that, then are you adjusting the hand position based on the perceived threat?

Where I'm going with this is that if you're focused on one opponent it seems logical that your focus is going to be against the cheekbones and below (and therefore a slight angling of the hands is logical). If against two opponents does that change? Are you then focused on the nose or still focused on the cheekbone area)?

(Sorry if I'm going completely off base, just interested in the perspectives).

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

If you are (for some weird reason) going to hit one person in the head/face with both fists at the same time then IMHO you need to angle them in some way.
    If you don't what surface are you landing with and what target are you hitting with it?
    I always invisaged hitting both eye sockets or cheek bones or even both sides of the neck. In which case you need to angle in some way to land well.

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I tried this without thinking about it, and I do it with a slight angle, because otherwise I feel a tension in my forearms from the extra rotation.

Whether that is correct or not is another matter! :D

Mitch

8. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

As we know with patterns there is a stipulated level. generaly (with exceptions )High = your eye level.

So, the actual target need not be exactly your eye level in application and the target may vary based upon the relative size and position of the opponent.

The text also states (Vol II) that twin High vertical is normaly against one target "two targets in rare instances". Now, General Choi would say that while there is a "Standard way of doing techniques, they can be varied as circumstances warrant.

With that long intro i would say it seems more natural and practical to angle the fists more as they get closer together. As PASmith ntes - The angle fits the eye socket better for the two big knuckles to contact the upper orbit bone if angeld more. This would likely be as close a position as any target would warrant.

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Back when I did TKD properly and the fashion for bunkai started out I always saw the double high punch and then double low punch in Joong gun as "grab lapels, pull onto a headbutt and then throw/lower them down".

10. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

I was taught the 'basic' application for Twin vertical Punch was to strike the jaw either side. So, with that said (I was also taught) a single vertical punch see's the fist vertical (side fist down) ie. no turning in, but with the 'twin' version, as the target (so I was told) was the jaw, they had to be slightly angled in.

These days however I use them as head/ear grabs mostly ;)

Stuart

11. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

I have understood the purpose of this technique to be the striking of either the jaw or cheekbone simultaneously with both fists. Accordingly, I have always been trained to strike with the two largest knuckles when executing a forefist strike. Therefore, I angle my fists to approximately 45 degrees.