Turtle top positions/terminology

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Dead_pool, Nov 28, 2016.

1. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Nice to know the subs are there - the second is old school jjj :) - but not too hopeful on landing either. Even if they aren't already actively trying to sit out or granby roll to recover guard and just resting there in turtle, they're at the very least not leaving their arms in that position i.e. elbows separated from their body but in tight and protecting the choke. Against anyone with grappling mileage, I think you'd need to set these up by attacking their base first to make them post their hand or elbow, *then* grab the arm and try those subs.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

The pressure from the side is the key - the hips are blocked off and any movement can be tracked with them...if they roll they tend to end up side control because the hip cannot turn as easily ...I use it to set a Japanese arm triangle typically

3. Hannibal

Anyone that turtles up that tight is opened by the first attack as well....if they are super locked down I attack the toes instead :)

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Aha. They've uploaded the move I was trying to describe.

(You can see my toes in the far left corner. Dunno where the rest of me is though...)

https://youtu.be/U4LgLI4i9uc

5. Hannibal

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2ptJAiLfkzM

talking of wrestling taking unto acount the guard, the above from double unders seems pretty darn good.

I know Barnett is totally legit but the opener is just not high percentage, against anyone good who is actively working from turtle to reguard, stand or sweep.

its also not something ive seen Barnett use in either mma or subgrappling.

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

cheers for the link!

I think the neckcrank control is really useful to be aware off, ive been using chin control to set up the rnc recently, and it simplifies the finish greatly.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  8. Mushroom

Oh yeah, I would be wriggling away, trying to shrimp etc. Which then obviously leads to other openings -then the chess games ensue.

The elbow dig is....not legal in comps? (Someone correct me here)

9. Mushroom

I was at that seminar when I learnt that move. I'll be honest, I've not really had much experience in having my neck cranked that way (the crossface however is a wrestling staple).

In your link, I like how it's a constant reminder of top pressure. My submissions absolutely suck, however my main compliment is the use of my weight (ie shoulders and chest) digging in. It's difficult to get out of my head though, and a lot of times, I'm over committing just like in that vid.

10. Hannibal

Cranks become a "go to" very quickly....Coach John Clarke always laughs at me because he says it's a very British thing - I will take that compliment!

And yah the "Rips" are designed to cause a cascade of responses, each in offering an option to finish

In Catch pulling guard is pinning yourself dont forget so guard pull are not really a good response tactically