Tukido?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Smee, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

Many many moons ago I used to study Tukido in Scotland. This was based on ITF Taekwondo and created by Master Hock Aun Teh who was 6th dan at that time (if i recall correctly).

My teacher was Heoi Wing Lee (Michael Lee) who subsequently moved to Australia to open a branch there.

Just curious as to what happened to Tukido as a style (I know it still exists - although less widespread) and anybody in Oz who might have come across Mr.Lee. He was an excellent teacher and I credit him with my long lasting interest in MA even though I am now studying Hung Gar.

Thanks for any help.

Paul

2. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Hi Paul,

all I can offer is some name dropping.

Master Teh had a few interesting people as students. I believe one, if not both Krause brothers trained under him, as well as John and Joe Abercrombie. Ronnie Brown I met a few times, who was well ranked as a kickboxer in Glasgow in the 80's.

The Krause guys went on and kicked off the Krause Academy, and John and Joe started something called Agonistics (essentially JKD) which I trained in for around 8 years.

3. marco

marco Valued Member

Man, you two guys take me back a fair bit. The guy who started Tukido was the original instructor for myself at the TKD academy in Glasgow but he left after a bust up with Master Rhee a few months later. We gotta be talking 1978 or something here so yes it does take from ITF style.

The Krause guys had all the business know how and took off to America then tied up with Dan Inosanto and brought back JKD concepts from the states.

God knows how its all ended up though. Nice to hear from you boys.....I'm a weegie who's serving with HM Forces down south.

4. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

About 6 months ago I saw an advert for Tukido at Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh. That is to say the advert was there, the training was someplace in the town centre.

I'll have a fish around tomorrow to see if it's still there. I'm sure there was a website address on the poster.

Detective Tosh is on the trail ;)

5. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

Nice to hear from you all.

Andy - never knew the Krasue Bros were into Tukido....

Marco - I studied from 1985 to 1990. At this time Tukido was very big and had clubs right across Scotland and some in England too. We had quite a large club under Mr Lee with some excellent students. Unfortunately he decided to emigrate (at one point I was asked to move to Australia to help him but I was just too young at that time and never took it further. Might have been good though...dammit!!). The club never really recovered after Mr Lee left - it was taken over by a guy called Gerry Dalziel and his wife. After a while, I kinda lost interest. Gerry was good enough but it just didn't click for me like it had.

Tukido seemed to stay quite big for a while and then just seemed to disappear. I know Master Teh is an artist and thought he'd maybe given up on the MA side of things. However, did a search recently and found the Tukido web site - only a few clubs in Scotland (mostly uni's) and some in malaysia.

Nice to see it's still going in some way and, as I said, it gave me the MA bug..,

Would be nice to hear what happened to Michael Lee tho - he was top...

6. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

They weren't. They left Master Teh, before he created Tukido I believe.

7. Webdunk

Webdunk Muay Thai Diary

Site is at http://www.tukido.co.uk.

I trained at Woodfarm, East Kilbride, Pollockshaw, Larbert and Strathclyde Uni and visited Aberdeen and Coatbridge. The website(s) do not fully reflect the breadth of clubs out there.

The annual summer camp and UK Championships also continue to take place.

8. Lithanwif

Lithanwif Human Punchbag

I believe my mates brother was also a Tukido student. Seem to remember him mentioning a european breaking championship....one Mark McCusker, went on to train Muay Thai with the Osprey club who moved to Clydebank. Really really talented MA. Superb kicks and excellent timing. Bastid!!!

9. the dog

the dog New Member

tukido

Hi Paul,
    just come on to this forum out of intrest with regards to tukido.
    I have been reading all the remarks about Tukido and they are very intresting.

I studied in the fife club for abit back in 1987 along with my brother who says he remembers you and your brother from the dundee club.

Yeah your right with regards to Jerry Dalziel what a **** he didnt care about the clubs and showed is true colours when he run off with Mr Teh's Money.

He use to get Brian Thacker to take th classes when he couldnt be bothered to move his lazy fat ass from glasgow to come to fife.

It was a pity Mr Lee went to OZ. I have searched the net for him but cant find him anywhere.

we had a few black tags at our club and my next door neighbour Brian was going to OZ with Mr Lee when he unforunatley passed away in an accident.

When the club closed in fife the guys started up a kickboxing club just for there own fitness to start with. Then one of the black belts got it registared and they had some good fighters come out of it.

Anyway better go just now.
    LATERS........

10. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

They hold a scottish championships regularly in Bellshill. But its not a very big one to be fair. Ive trained at clubs with more students than their last Scottish Champs.

Master Teh lost alot of his students due to the way he treated them. I train with alot of the guys who were there at the beginning of Tukido and none of them have any real fond memories or regrets about leaving.

11. paddy ska

paddy ska Valued Member

I used to do some extra training in Ronnie White's Tukido club as it was just the exact same (minus patterns) as TKD. Mr white himself was an awesome fighter and an excellent coach and motivator. He moved away from Tukido and set up his own system.

The suits were a bit 80's though........

12. ayrshiretkd

ayrshiretkd Valued Member

i tried the irvine club when i was a young un but being rather self concious at that age i just couldn't get my head around the star trek style uniforms. enjoyed the training though :)

13. sawyer280769

sawyer280769 New Member

yeah they had sort of winged shoulders on the uniforms didn't they! LOL I remember Mr Teh having a Taekwondo class in Irvine way back in the 80,s and then he started Tukido.

14. MoonMoo7

MoonMoo7 Valued Member

I don't think it's much of a surprise that Master Teh lost a lot of students 'due to the way he treated them'. I trained in the old Scottish Taekwon-do Association which Master Teh formed when he left the UKTA. I recall he was pretty aggressive towards us at gradings and didn't really do much to foster much loyalty (which he demanded!). He changed the name to Tukido after a few years and my instructor at the time (Steven Donald) said he wanted to practice a more traditional form of Taekwon-do and Master Teh was not happy to say the least. So our club left. Pity because Master Teh is pretty good technically.

15. paddy ska

paddy ska Valued Member

Moon Moo,

I heard that when Master Teh left the UKTA that there was a fight between him and (now Grand) Master Rhee in Sauchiehall St. Do you know if there's any truth in that or is it just an urban legend?

16. sawyer280769

sawyer280769 New Member

Tukido

I heard that too at the time but as you say I think its an urban myth.

17. jtfox

jtfox Valued Member

PaddySka

ask your new instructor about that!!!!

:cool:

18. paddy ska

paddy ska Valued Member

I wont see him till the lunch on Sunday, but methinks you know.......?

19. MoonMoo7

MoonMoo7 Valued Member

It is a bit of an urban legend, although rumour has it that this encounter did take place. Something to do with a grading and JC Kim, allegedly. But no idea if it's true.....

20. ayrshiretkd

ayrshiretkd Valued Member

how mental would that have looked to the wee granny walking up sauchiehall street with her shopping. two angry asian dudes battling in the middle of a glasgow street. genius