TUF18 - Rousey v Tate

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Princess Haru, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

my keyboard is playing up and have already typed and lost this twice :(

....so it's back on but interest seems massively underwhelming, even with the sudden change in coach lineup.

I watched the fights and there were a few good ones and a few dull ones, none with a strong MT background, its a lot of boxers or wrestlers or MMA and BJJ, no strong kickers, maybe David Grant, no KOs though a few stoppages, and some of the women's fights were bruisers. It's hard to pick one but I think Shayla will do well.

I don't know if there is enough for me to keep interested the rest of the time, as I can't bear the whole soap opera element, the whole rags to riches, I'm doing this for my family, UFC is my only dream, how much does Ronda really hate Miesha and why do we care, and as mentioned in other sites, some of the fighters have more experience than the coaches:p

2. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I think the UFC is somewhat a victim of their own success. As they've become 'contenders' they are able to afford all the trappings of corporate television that was out of reach when they started.

The demographic studies, focus groups and other high-dollar 'expert' consults and broadcast televisions long reliance on tried 'n true formulae are the captain's at the helm now instead of just being themselves - which was basically two blokes banging away at each other with no refs constantly breaking them up ( as goes on in boxing ).

The idea was mad as a March hare, but the creators had nothing to loose so taking the risk was feasible. If they were going to go down, they'd might as well have a gas on their way.

Now they've a lot to loose, so any sort of real risk-taking on the creative side, isn't going to be there.

I saw bits and snatches ... didn't think it so bad; but of course, I watch Bellator Fight Master; so you're not exactly reading a post from someone with selective, refined tastes.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I think most people did actually......

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Not seen it yet, have they kept with the HD Docu feel like Sonnen/Jones series?

5. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I liked it but then I enjoy every tuf. Disappointed they stuck with the scenes of peoples families just before they lose, the amount of spoilers was dumb, and an exec has said to "expect sex" and if they make a big deal out of that then I might actually give up on it as well. Last season was great because they went back to it being about training.

But I thought most of the fights were good. I also seem to be one of the only people in the world that like Ronda

6. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I believe you are incorrect. Jessamyn Duke is the one you want to root for if you like fighters with a Muay Thai background.
    She talks about it in this interview.

http://invictafc.com/2013/03/fighting-words-jessamyn-duke-talks-invicta-fc-5/

I think she will make it into the finals. I certainly am rooting for her to do so. She made me a fan with her Invicta fights.

I am excited for this season. Although I really wish Zingano hadn't blown out her knee. On the other hand, before I liked both coaches. Now I am definitely rooting for one over the other. No southpaw, you are not alone. I like Rousey as well. Tate made me most definitely NOT a fan with that push off on Zingano's face and her poor attitude after that fight.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  7. Princess Haru

I'm sure you're right, and I was only going by watching the fights as a casual observer but at least I started some debate on it :)

8. belltoller

well, after this, I'll be minding the show more now.

9. aaradia

Below is Jessamyn Duke's pro debut in Invicta 2. Note the first minute and a half in round two. Duke knees the opponent from the clinch over and over and over.

Note: This is a perfectly legal stream from Invicta's official youtube site.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-I9Ymvw1g0"]YouTube[/ame]

10. righty

righty Valued Member

Just watched it. Interesting.

My favourite part was actually one of the fighters getting an uchi mata and while Tate was saying "oooh nice takedown", Rousey was just sitting with her blank expression on taking notes.

I also thought it wasn't completely fair to ask Rousey for the match up right after the picks without a good time to talk to her team and consider.

11. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

When I watch TUF I like to find a few fighters who make you want to love or hate them for some reason. Other than Jessamyn Duke and the nerdy looking girl no one looked even at all interesting. Most of the women were just brawlers who'd you'd find in any bar fight and the guys were boring as heck. Maybe the Tate/Rousey fight will be good.

12. belltoller

My favourite feature

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I watched the first episode and enjoyed it. I was a huge Ronda fan up until recently. She seems to have become a huge jerk who has a paddy when things don't go her way. Definitely got a bigger ego than 12 months ago.

I'm actually starting to like Miesha. :p

My favourite fighters are that Cody (?) guy - dude with a really odd looking neck and a strong boxing background who battered that lazy Brazilian bloke - and Shayla Bazler.

I think the problem here is the UFC picked a women's division full of fatties who are just damn slow. At 125 you've got Miriam Nakamoto who is a Muay Thai machine. At 115 you've got Tecia Torres and JoJo Calderwood who are crazy good strikers, and Carla Esparza who is a wrestling beast. At 105 you've got Michelle Waterson (nuff said). UFC seriously needs to invest in lighter divisions with awesome fighters rather than build a pool of opponents for their poster girl, who is great at arm bars and an average boxer. Honestly, I've seen better all-round Judo in brown belts.

14. aaradia

While I agree that I would like to see some lighter WMMA divisions in the UFC, I think it will come with time. I also am a fan of Tecia torres and Calderwood. I respect Esparza, but am not particularly a fan.

I couldn't disagree more about Rousey's Judo skills. No, I am not a Judo person, but she won a medal at the Olympics. If her wikipedia is accurate, she has some other pretty amazing accomplishments in Judo as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronda_Rousey

No, I daresay the brown belts you think are better really are not.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Her accomplishments are something to marvel at for sure.

But her technical ability isn't as good as other Judo athletes I've seen. By this I mean I've seen some brown belts with much more polished techniques. There are also other female MMA athletes with strong backgrounds who have much better records. Megumi Fujii for example.

16. belltoller

Impressive list. I've never seen Ronda's judo matches ( and don't know enough about Judo to say if her skill was good or not ) but a lot of times a particular MA skill ( Judo, Karate, boxing, etc. ) in its best, truest form doesn't 'translate' well in MMA - or some are not as adaptive at pulling it off. BJJ seems to be an exception.

Megumi Fujii - oh man! Now there's a female fighter, no doubt. Still pound-for-pound if I'm not mistaken. Isn't she getting ready to retire? Seems she has or had one last to do.

17. Princess Haru

I watched pretty much all of the women's Judo contests at London 2012 at the time and a lot of top level contests are quite boring to watch, the best throws in my view were not done by the eventual medal winners, though they are the best of their weight class.

over 78kg no score, tho I think the Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi in the early part and several attempts at drop Seoi Nage swung it, a couple of lame Uchi Matas from Japan
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuDi1RW1MCE"]Judo Women -78 kg Final - Gold Medal - Cuba v Japan Full Replay -- London 2012 Olympic Games - YouTube[/ame]

under 78kg well we all know this one... and fairly entertaining even to non Judoka imo
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B4yzmf6FEQ"]Kayla Harrison Wins Women's Judo -78kg Gold v Gemma Gibbons - London 2012 Olympics - YouTube[/ame]

under 70kg bit scrappy non throws, some osaekomi but could as well have put gloves on and made this a boxing match lol
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=240nuVKGBVI"]Olympic Judo London 2012 -70kg Final - Decosse FRA bt Thiele GER - YouTube[/ame]

under 63kg (my weight class) one throw wins, it was a good drop Seoi Nage tho
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6_QtzZaA2s"]Judo Women -63 kg Final - Gold Medal - Slovenia v China Full Replay - London 2012 Olympic Games - YouTube[/ame]

under 57kg osaekomi after an unrecognisable throw then hansoku make ouchi gari from behind, more interesting ashi waza but still mostly grip fight
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIzpBGnkOs8"]Judo Women -57 kg Final - Gold Medal - JPN v ROU Full Replay -- London 2012 Olympic Games - YouTube[/ame]

under 48kg all going on in this match, and so fast, nice makikomi into hadake jime
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JraWp45msFA"]Judo Women -48 kg Final - Gold Medal - Dumitru v Menezes Full Replay - London 2012 Olympic Games - YouTube[/ame]

18. belltoller

Well, first time I've ever watched a full judo-match. Just finished the heavyweight Japan/Cuba final. No I wouldn't expect to see bodies go sailing through the air in that one.

Interesting... I don't suppose there's any such thing as 'no-gi' Judo, is there? :)

Just curious, not knowing anything about Judo, but I gather that the Olympic style of Judo focuses heavily on one or two aspects of the Art whilst ignoring/negating others - similar to how the Olympic ruleset has affected TKD?

I suppose I should google for the basic rule sets and the rest before I venture forth.

19. belltoller

20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

There is, actually! Google Freestyle Judo.