Tuf 3

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Apotheosis, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

off topic, but is "clench" interchangeable with "clinch" or something? because i've been noticing that a lot lately, and i had never heard it before.

2. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I think it's just a common spelling mistake

3. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

i do not think so sever. i have heard clench many times in the place of clinch in my days as a wrestler. it seems a regional variation form the east coast (where I am not sure) but is generally known as a "you sat potato, I say patatoe" (did I even come closer to spelling that right?) kind of issue

they both mean to grasp tightly. . and after a bit o research clinch is derived from clench and was initially a nautical term

anyway. not a typo.. just a regional distiction...

4. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

On the "thrid round" idea, I would like to see all the matches go to three rounds on the show... I'd rather have that than some of the filler they've put in with the dropping of the challenges.

5. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

I agree completely. I think the quality of fighters this time around is much better than last season. So wha's the logical answer? Give them less time on the TV showing that ability?! :confused:

6. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

i think the two rounds is aa nevada state regulation for exhibition events.. if they were three rounds they would be pro fights and would appear in their records.
    which they do not
    the third is permitted as a tie-breaker... but if they make that the standard they'd have a whole bunch of other "details" to sort out with the state's board...
    anyone know more about this? I have never had a fight in NV...

7. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

It's funny how the show has changed this third season. I, for one, and glad the BS "challenges" are gone, though it was an interesting way to figure out who was going to have control of the matchmaking. The two-round rule, I'm not so sure about. I think most folks would have liked to see this match go one more round.

I would have given it to Tait. To me, he was more aggressive in that he was pressing the action more IMO. He controlled the clinch and he had Josh on the defensive on the ground. To Josh's credit, he threw some hard leather during the fight, and never stopped moving on the ground, but it looked to me that he was tired, and if Tait had any kind of boxing skill he would have nailed that open jaw. I realise that I'm not a quallified MMA judge, but I really have to wonder what those guys were smoking to give it to Josh. But since he won, more power to him.

8. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Tate lost by a ball hair, so I would of called for a 3rd round and said it was a draw.

We dont have to be "qualified judges" to have opinions on a fight. Frankly, there would be no post fight discussions if that were the case. :rolleyes:

9. Wolf

Unless that's a new rule I don't think that's the case. I'm pretty sure seasons 1 and 2 were three round fights and didn't show up on their records.

10. Jester

Jester I elbow, therefore I am.

It was the same format. 2 rounds and a 3rd only as a tiebreaker. I believe since that it is "scheduled" for 2 rounds it doesn't count toward their record. Otherwise you could just look up the results before the episode appears.

11. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

yeah UFC does just not control the judges....
    prime example is DW's disagreement with the decision in the forest v ortiz fight....

actually, I was wondering if anyone knows the details about Tito's knee injury. I know griffin is replacing him on the card for the shamrock fight...

which is really too bad that after all that build-up we do not know if we'll get to see a rubber match....

anyone know what happened??

also, I looked into it KSWPaul (wolf) and you are dead right... I did not watch seasons 1 or two of TUF ... and season 2 defiantly had 3 rounds.. why they shorted the fights after removing material (challenges) is beyond me....
    frankly, the removal of the challenges is what prompted me to start watching this season... would have been great to see a three round fight instead of a two rounder... (maybe to decrease injuries????)

12. Wolf

Go here: http://blogcritics.org/archives/2006/04/07/081038.php
    It mentions the shortening to 2 rounds.

This is off of Tito's website:

13. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

One little note

I recall that the first two fights in season 1 were both scheduled for two-minute rounds with a tiebreaking third, like this season. Dana said on-camera that Southworth-Bonnar should have gone a third round, but it didn't. After that, I believe, is when the three-round rule went into effect. Anyone else remember something to that effect?

14. Pacer_3

Pacer_3 New Member

I watched the Josh vs Tait fight again, and that "knock down" at the end was a slight brush, not a strike at all. Tait overbalanced stepping away from it and fell. Maybe it was a bait? I think the bogus low blow cost Tait valuable points. The knee hit the waist band and it rocked Josh, so they naturally call a low blow when Herb couldn't even see it from his angle.

15. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

I pretty much have to agree. I think that Josh complaining about a low blow may have been what tossed it in his favor.

16. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

lol
    watching that little TKD pansy getting pounded was the highlight to my day
    what a poser
    "I am a UFC fighter"
    rotflmao
    ed herman looked good.. not sure what dana was talking about (often am not sure when he starts talking)
    clean, dominating performance... cautious.. but hey... why not..
    it was his fight to lose
    way to go ED
    back to teaching kiddy clases at Victory MAs for the loser

17. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

i was wondering about dana's comments too...looked pretty textbook to me. i thought he fought very intelligently and methodically, which i wasn't really expecting. he doesn't really strike me as the kind of guy who would pace himself like that.

i am really glad that other idiot got sent home though. i couldn't believe the things he was saying after the fight, about how he "proved himself" and how he's "an ultimate fighter now"....gimme a break. you got your ass handed to you, and i doubt you'll be hearing from the UFC anytime soon.

18. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

anytime ever... lol
    and yeah.. dana talks a good game, but really demonstrates huge holes in his knowledge of the sport. I cite: his commentary when he was with bas and quadros at PRIDE wehn Chuck lost to Q Jackson... he came off like and idiot.. did not even understand the positions.. much less the set-ups.. it was pretty sad

smart move on PRIDE's part playing to his huge ego and giving him a mic (IE the cord upon which to hang himself before the fans)

19. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Well Danny sure whined a lot during that episode, and though I cannot say for sure he was exaggerating it sure seemd suspicous.

He seemed unsure about himself, and yet he talked a lot almost as if he was trying to convince himself of his talent.

Ed also talked a lot, way to much in my opinion. Saying he is at the top level already, and that he can take on Tito is just moronic.

The fight: Danny rocked Ed at the beginning, and if he fought with his brain he might have won but instead he went in close and clinched with Ed resulting in his going to the ground.

If your only chance of winning is to strike, for the love of God do not grapple.

Having said that Ed wasn't all that impressive, he talked a huge game and all the other fighters seemed to back his statements up with their own. He dominated Danny on the ground, but Danny was practically begging to be pounded/submitted. There are a few fighters in the show who would have beaten Danny in the first 2-3 minutes. Ed is no longer my favorite to win the weight division, I don't think he will even get to the finals.

Next week we get to see Matt fight, about time. Matt and Ed have been talked up all season and now we can see once and for all if Matt can live up to the hype(Ed didn't in my opinion).

20. CinMike

CinMike Valued Member

Danny the TKD dude was all talk. The whole episode he was just talking mass <bleep>. Especially some of the <bleep> he said after the match like hes a UFC fighter now that he got owned and all that. I found it funny how he left his arm up at the end of the fight. With how high his arm was hanging I could have pulled an armbar on him and I don't even do BJJ (yet). That shot in the beginning of the match was a lucky shot. I'm glad to see him and his mouth gone. Can't wait to see Matt fight and whether or not he can take a punch in a fight.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2006