Tuf 3

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Apotheosis, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

First thoughts on Ultimate Fight Night, I only saw the last three matches but overall it was pretty good. The main event Bonner-Jardine results shocked me beyond belief, Jardine clearly won and Bonner gets a unanimous decision? Somethings up with that, Bonner may have(key word may) won the 2nd round and although he did rock Jardine and nearly KO him Jardine recovered quickly and went back on the attack.

First thoughts on ultimate Fighting 3, seems like theres going to be some entertaining moments from the coaches, surprise surprise. On a side note, why did Ortiz destroy Ken in their fight, is Ken just overrated?

The changes to the show seem good to me, focus more on the fighting and training than challenges. So far I would rather be on Tito's team, he seems like a better coach and a cooler guy than Ken but its just first impression. Plus Ken chose not to brin gin a jujitsu coach in favor of a nutrition/strength training coach so we will see how that works out.As far as the fighters, there are two Britians which is interesting, gives Europeans people to root for and they seem pretty good. Entertaining interactions with the other fighters as well. But the guy I will be rooting for most, is Matt Hamill a deaf fighter who trains with Rich Franklin. Looking at his Bio he is definetely has the athletic ability but I have doubts concerning his experience. He only has 5 months training in MMA, although a great background winning gold medals in freestyle and greco-roman wrestling in the 97 World Games for the Deaf. While I have doubts if he should be in the competition due to his inexperience, he seems to have the heart and atheltic ability and maybe Tito can teach him enough to win.

Your thoughts?

2. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

They picked some interesting and entertaining people this season. This looks to be a fun one, as opposed to that whiny snooze fest that kicked of last season.

Matt Hamill has definitely captured the attention of a lot of TUF viewers. From what I've heard, the kid is no joke when it comes to wrestling, something like a 3 time Division III champ, and there's something floating around about him beating Kurt Angle at some point. Don't know how true that is. Let's not forget that Koscheck didnt have much MMA experience either, but was really the only test for Diego during TUF 1. Besides, learning sub defense is easier than learning actual subs. He already understands wrestling, I wouldnt be surprised if he goes pretty far.

I was surprised at how good Tito came off as a coach. I think we're suddenly going to have Tito fans popping up. Ken, on the other hand, is a questionable coach. Seriously, no grappling coach when Ken admits he isn't much of a jiujitsu guy. Oh lord.

I was also surprised the Bonnar got the decision, and I couldnt, for the life of me, figure out what was going through Stevenson's head. I kept yelling at him for going for those leg locks. GNP! GNP!

Oi.

3. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

i'm getting tired of hearing people say this. shamrock is a legend, but he's also in his 40's...the only reason he fought tito was because he hated him so much, but he really shouldn't be fighting at all at this point. give him a break.

4. hux

hux ya, whatever.

me too. He seems downright respectable! ;)

Shamrock is too old to be fighting IMO, that's all.

Seems to be better fighters on the show this time around IMO. I'm rootin fer the deaf guy.

5. wlfeyes

wlfeyes New Member

I liked UF3 debut. I haven't watched the Fight night live yet (I taped it). I did see the last round and a half of the Stephen/Keith fight. And I also believe Keith should have won the fight. He stood out more in my mind at the end when he was sending the flurry of punches. It looked to me like Stephan was backing away alot more instead of moving forward and making advancements or aggressive moves.

I have a few fighter's in the UF3 that I'm watching and hoping they progress forward. I don't mind either coaches styles. I've had a few differnt coaches (for soccer, eariler in life) and they all had different ways of getting the information out. And getting us to work the way we needed too. So I don't have a problem with the styles either Tito or Ken has. I like the fact of Ken's background and time involved in the UFC, I've research both coaches. I prolly like Tito's coaching style better. Hands on approach teaches me better. But I like that fact that Ken feels he needs to watches his fighter's so he can better tell them how to move and react the more he get's to know their fighting style.

Not to sure about the bodybuilding guy on Ken's team, but I'm sure he had a reason. Anyway, those are my thoughts so far. It's going to be an interesting season, and I can't wait to see more.

6. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Relax Skrom I was just curious, I kind of suspected it was his age but I thought perhaps he had an injury or something. Age explains it though. I see some problems with Ken and his team because of the bodybuilder, right off the bat it seemed some people were questioning him.

7. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

I have to say I am relieved that the sad product placements are gone. Nothing funnier than 4 guys in the bathroom all putting on the same brand of speed stick talking about how amazing the stuff is. My wife and I do the same thing every morning getting ready for work, LOL. :rolleyes:

I agree that Ken is a legend for his day, give the man his dues. But he is too old for it and the style has changed. Back then it was more about being tough and strength etc etc. The endurance and tolerance levels needed now, jeez. I'm 35 and would step no where near an octogan.
    Young mans game, with a few acceptions like Couture.

Personally if my face looked like an old pillow, such as Kens face after the Ortiz fight last time. I'd retire on the spot.

8. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

As for Bonner/Jardine. I think it was a close fight. Overall I would have given it to Jardine up until the knockdown. By that point I thought they had both won a round, and Jardine was winning the third. Now, I may have the scoring system wrong, but I believe in the UFC it's kind of like boxing in that a clear knockdown is a point deduction making it almost impossible to win that round unless you get a clear knockdown yourself. That may have been what put Bonner over the top. Without that knockdown her certainly wouldn't have won. Overall, great fight though.

I think TUF 3 looks great. So far it seems to have a lot less cry babies than season 2 did, though I'm not sure yet about Christian yet. He seems to be playing the age card a little too much. There are plenty of UFC fighters his age or older that don't have the conditioning problems he does. If he wants to do something in the UFC he needs to suck it up and get into better shape without the complaining. Early picks to win? Light-Heavy:Matt Hamill (I like his ability and drive) and Middleweight: Rory Singer (I live in athens, and have met the guy. He seemed pretty cool, so I'm rootin for him).

9. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

Rory Singer also trains with Forrest Griffin. It's interesting that Tito picked him. You know Rory is going to give Forrest all sorts of inside info on how Tito rolls.

10. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

I don't know for sure if they still train together or not. I thought they did, but I met someone a couple months back that new them (not actually met Rory once like I had), and he said Forrest had moved to Las Vegas, and didn't really train with the Singers anymore. Now that could all be BS about him not training with them anymore. It's just what I hear.

11. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

Even then, I would imagine Rory would have some insight, and Forrest would probably have asked for some tips against Tito.

12. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

I dont see what he could tell him about, all he has to do is watch Titos fights to know how he fights, its not like Tito is preparing for Forest during the show.

13. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

Preferences for takedowns, how he feels when he rolls, potential weaknesses on the ground as well as any that could be found in the standup game. It's one thing to watch a fight. It's another thing to train with the guy and have some time to poke holes in their game.

Kind of like how GSP trained with Renzo to get a better idea of how to deal with Penn. It's always good to train with someone who has had some first hand experience with your opponent. Any tips could help.

14. jsmith

jsmith Valued Member

I liked the premiere, but I wish they would downplay the Ortiz/Shamrock grudge.

"Grrrr! I hate Shamrock! I hate him so much! Grrrr!"
    "Grrr! I'm gonna make Ortiz eat a knuckle sandwich! Grrr!"

It makes me think of WWF/WWE/whatever it's called now. It seems like one of the main goals of this show is to have people respect MMA as a legitamate sport, and this makes it seem that much more cheezy. Probably the two most famous and poplular fighters in the UFC are Liddell and Couture, and I think a major reason for this is that they project an image of good sportsmanship. It feels so good after a tough fight to hear the winner compliment the loser, talk about what a tough victory it was, and say how much they respect their opponent.

The other thing I found funny was all the fighters dissing the nutritionist. I don't know if he's more valuable than a grappling coach, but if you want to play in the big leagues, you're going to need to know how to eat/exercise properly.

15. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Linguo- You make some good points, but you can look for weaknesses in a fighter by watching their fights. I dont think Rory would pick up anything of importance concerning his style. Either way, its not really important concerning the show so I will drop it. I will leave it to the pro's to worry about someone picking their style apart and just enjoy the result:)

Jsmith- I imagine the whole grudge is an effort to stir up some controversy as well as publicity for their next fight. I dont know if Ken is playing it up for tv, but he sure seemed childish, could be editing as well. As far as the respectability, look at the NFL, Terrel Owens was one of the most talked about athletes last year and he didnt play most of the season, there is a huge market for controvesy, and this may be an attempt to reach that market.

As far as the nutrionist, I see both points of view. On the one hand you need to take care of your body and he seems like he could be a big help, on the other ground fighting is a HUGE part of MMA and Shamrocks team doesnt have a coach who can help them with that. It doesnt matter if you have a perfect body if you dont know what to do with it so I would prefer a Jujitsu coach especially considering most of these guys are in pretty good condition as it is.

16. jsmith

jsmith Valued Member

I agree that choosing the nutritionist was probably not better than a groundfighting coach, it just bugged me that the fighters seemed to think that the guy was a useless bodybuilder. Cutting weight has been a major hurdle for some of the fighters in the last two seasons.

17. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

The past few posters have made some good points about the nutritionist... I hadn't thought of it like that. I have to admit I was in the "What? A nutritionist instead of a grappling coach?!" camp. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

18. Teryan

Teryan Valued Member

Any one notice how little advertising their was for TUF3 compared to TUF2? I dont think that is a good thing.

The more they hipe up the Ortiz v Shamrock the more PPV they will sell. Admit it, we all want to watch that fight.

19. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Not really - I think we all know it's going to wind up exactly the same as last time, just probably quicker. Last time Ken fought Tito he was carrying a knee injury (torn ACL, I believe). As someone who's had knee problems, I'll always respect Ken for getting in the cage with an injury like that - when my knee was messed up, I couldn't even bring myself to go to the shops, let alone train and fight. That said, knee problems or no knee problems, Tito's still going to win
    As for the nutritionist - it's a good idea on paper, but not having a grappling coach will seriously hurt Shamrock's team, especially a little while into the competition when Tito's guys have picked up some stuff from Dean Lister - Tito having him is a SERIOUS advantage. Plus, I'm not really sure how applicable the bodybuilding style the guy seems to follow will apply to guys who have to cut weight - he was telling someone who's 15lbs overweight to eat steak! I think Shamrock should've got a grappling coach in and sat the guys down with a John Beradi book
    I'm picking Micheal and Ross for the wins, purely because I want them to bring the contracts home to England :D Actually, Micheal really reminds me of a guy I train with

20. stellhornata

stellhornata New Member

After seeing episode one i have one thing i have to say i hope Tito beats the crap put of shamrock.I know that shamrock is a legend and i totaly agree with that but the way he is acting and coaching this season is just retarded.And the fact that he brang a nutrition coach rather then bring a grappling coach is just stupid. Shamrock is only in it for the fight Tito is in there to coach and i think that Tito is doing a great job.I dont remember seeing one guy say he would rather train with Ken.But i think it was at least 5 guys say they would rather train with Tito. Ken dosent undertsand what a rounded fighter is and he is going to get the crap kicked out of him when he fights one(Tito).

This is my opinion I know not a lot of you will agree with me.