TUF 10 Kimbo - Nelson (Spoiler)

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Axelator, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

Anyone else dissapointed by this fight? I knew Kimbo would loose but I was hoping for a more exciting fight. Nelson just went straight for the crucifix position every time.

take down- side control - hit him in the head - when the heand comes up push it to the floor and trap it - tap kimbo in head - win.

I didn't get the tapping in the head either, he's a big guy he can obviously hit harder than that. I understand that he might not want to hurt kimbo and I can respect that to an extent but fans tune in to watch a fight and I expect to see fighters go all out, he should have been smashing kimbo in the head as hard as he could. If he did that he would have finished it in the first.

I was dissapointed with Kimbos ground game too. Fair enough once you're in the crucifix position with someone like Roy on top of you you're not getting out but there was no attempt to sweep, stand up or even shrimp to guard when Roy had side control. My ground game is awful but I'm fairly sure it's better than kimbos.

Hopefully Kimbo will learn and fight again in the UFC and hopefully one of these bigger guys will suprise us with some good skills and smash fatty Roy Nelson's face in.

2. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

The crucifix is a difficult position from which to generate a lot of punching power. Basically it's like lying belly-down on the ground and then trying to punch something that's next to your ribcage. Elbows are more useful from there, but since Nelson spent more time in the IFL where they were banned, I'm not sure how much they factored into his training.

I thought it was a fair strategy. Those weren't knockout punches, but Kimbo wasn't doing anything to defend himself. I was a little surprised Herb Dean didn't stop it at the end of the first. If you can't defend yourself from being repeatedly punched in the face, even by little pitty-pat punches, you're done. I was more disappointed that Kimbo apparently hasn't learned anything since the James Thompson fight, which went much the same way in the second round.

3. eltgire

eltgire New Member

On the show there was this created perception that Kimbo was putting in all this grappling/jujitsu training. I really expected more from him than to just get pinned and bopped in the head. Those punches from Nelson didn't look very strong at all. Maybe they were stronger than they looked, but after waiting for 40+ min for the fight, I was disappointed to say the least.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

lol - maybe some of you lot want to get in there and taste some of them punches that are pitty pat. I suspect that you may come away with a different understanding. So comfy in the armchair aint it. :p

5. eltgire

eltgire New Member

yes, but I can't help but compare that fight to the dozens of other fights I've seen where the majority of those other fighters have been able to handle much harder blows. For a guy with the "street fighter" rep that Kimbo has, I think it's reasonable to expect him to deal with not-so-heavy blows. I'm not saying I could deal with it, but I'm not a professional "street fighter" weighing 250+ either.

6. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I think he dealt with the punches but he couldn't deal with "Big Country" laying on his face.

He landed a couple of good shots but has no ground game. It's a learning experience for him just like a lot of the guys who came through the house before.

7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Can I just say that I don't understand how someone that fat can compete in a sport with weight classes? If Nelson were to cowboy up, eat some salads, ride a stationary bike, and get rid of that spare tire, wouldn't he be a light-heavyweight without even losing any muscle in the process? If he really wanted to make it as big-time professional mixed martial artist, why wouldn't he do that?

8. tanis

tanis Valued Member

You may find if he wins he may go that way i have not seen much of the IFL but it is most likely a lower standard to ufc or pride so his condition maybe not such a factor but in the big leagues with brock in that division he would be undersized.Look at crocop in his last fight he looked far smaller than his opponent

9. february

february Valued Member

Punches to the top of the head like that friggin' hurt.

10. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

Certainly true. Roy went in and did exactly what he said he was going to. Deliver the shots that don't really do any damage, but go unanswered thus forcing the ref to stop the fight. He even talked about counting out the strikes as he landed them so the ref knows exactly how many unanswered blows are landing. His team was even joining in just before the fight was stopped. While it maybe didn't make for the most electrifying finish to a fight, he stuck to the game plan and won without picking up any injuries.

11. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

To be fair slip, my Coach wasn't very impressed with those punches. I didn't watch the fight, so I can't comment (though I tend to trust his judgement).

12. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

How many MMA fights have you had? For a 260lb man those punches were incredibly weak.

13. callsignfuzzy

I see what you're saying, and to be honest he could probably have knocked me out with those punches... because I'm a FW.

But those punches were half-hearted. He wasn't trying to cut Kimbo with them, or knock him out. Watch Fedor or Hughes strike; they're trying to finish the guy. I'm not saying it was wrong to throw punches that weren't intended to do damage, but whenever a fighter isn't putting 100% into their fight, they're going to draw negative reactions.

14. callsignfuzzy