Trying to understand Sun Style

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Xue Sheng, May 13, 2020.

1. windwalker

windwalker Member

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  2. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

NOTE: This is part of some strange double post thing. The post after this is the edited version that for some reason created a second post

@YouKnowWho, @windwalker, @Flying Crane

Yang Jwing Ming, I have trained with, but it was Taijiquan Push hands and a little Qinna, His main school is now in California, but it use to be in Boston and that is where i trained with him. He still has multiple schools in Massachusetts, I trained some Xingyiquan at his old main Boston school shortly after his son moved to California to teach with his father, who had also recently moved to California, Dr Yang still does teach in Massachusetts about once a year. Long Fist, White Crane, Yang Taijiquan, Qigong and Qinna.

And I mean no offense to anyone with this, I find discussions about White Crane rather interesting, seriously considered studying it with Yang Jwing Ming once, but the one thing Yang Jwing Ming does not teach is Sun Taijiquan, and a style Sun Lutang never studied was White Crane. I am trying to figure out Sun style here, not white crane.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    Flying Crane likes this.
  3. Xue Sheng

@YouKnowWho, @windwalker, @Flying Crane

Yang Jwing Ming, I have trained with, but it was Taijiquan Push hands and a little Qinna, His main school is now in California, but it use to be in Boston (he was there for many years) and that is where i trained with him. He still has multiple schools in Massachusetts, I trained some Xingyiquan at his old main Boston school shortly before his son moved to California to teach with his father, who had also recently moved to California, Dr Yang still does teach in Massachusetts about once a year. Long Fist, White Crane, Yang Taijiquan, Qigong and Qinna.

And I mean no offense to anyone with this, I find discussions about White Crane rather interesting, seriously considered studying it with Yang Jwing Ming once, but the one thing Yang Jwing Ming does not teach is Sun Taijiquan, and a style Sun Lutang never studied was White Crane. I am trying to figure out Sun style here, not white crane.

Note: My Yang Shifu's wife went to college with Yang Jwing Ming

4. windwalker

windwalker Member

none taken, a good thread about Taiji not white crane.

Xue Sheng likes this.
  5. Xue Sheng

and my apologies for a weird double post thing, I edited the first and it made a second. I suspect it is my internet connection

6. Subitai

Subitai Valued Member

Hey Xue Sheng, I'm guess i'm late to this thread, it's been awhile since I dropped by here.

I see you're still pursuing Sun Taiji. I remember a thread way back where you said you used to study some in Boston? Is that right? Are you still in the North East USA? I'm in Southeastern, CT. (Mystic area) if you're ever around. Reason I say that is practicing and getting answers with real persons is obviously better than using forums.

Anyway, I remember writing some stuff on another forum and i really don't want to re-type ALL of it or copy and paste. I hope a Mod doesn't mind the quick link. It may help answer some of your questions about Wuji...But here goes:

the rum soaked fist: internal martial arts forum • View topic - Rectum is lifted

I start at the 9th post down.

Anyway, hopefully sooner (or later) when Vaccines come out, hit me up if you're ever in the area. Plus, I have a good buddy in Cambridge, MA. that I visit occasionally. Best "O"

Xue Sheng likes this.
  7. Xue Sheng

I studied a little Push hands and a little Xingyiquan in Boston, but go back far enough I studied TKD in Boston too , and Jiujutsu in Winthrop, or at least I think it was Winthrop, that was back in the early 1970s.

I am still in the Northeast, but in upstate NY, near the Adirondacks. If I'm ever in the Mystic area I will look you up, thanks, and thanks for the link.

8. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

No,no,no. I live in upstate New York-y'all live in the North Country.

Hillbilly.

9. Xue Sheng

I live in REAL upstate NY, not that place south of me that pretends to be upstate NY just because it is north of NYC. There is a lot of NYS above Westchester county :)

10. David Silver

David Silver Member

Sun style is fascinating and strange. I am video director for YMAA (Yang, Jwing-Ming) and recently made Sun and Wu style videos with Shou-Yu Liang's lead disciple (and son in law) in Vancouver, Canada, Chenhan Yang. I was really surprised by some of the movements in the form. I convinced him to chat a little about the differences between Sun style and other family styles, and here's the free clip on YouTube. He's darn charming and an amazing athlete.
    That video isn't edited yet, but soon I'll have video of his form to share.

Grond and Xue Sheng like this.
  11. Xue Sheng

Thank You, I heard YMAA was doing a Sun Style video, I have been waiting for it. Very good interview, thanks for sharing. I have seen his Chen DVD, it is very good IMHO

I also want to say; My Yang taijiquan Shifu was a student of Tung Ying Chieh in Hong Kong. My shifu is now in his 80s. He is not a fan of most people he has seen doing taijiquan today, and I have sent him many videos. However, he has said that he felt that most of the Chen 19th generation is very good and knows what taijiquan is and how to do it. He also says the same thing about Liang Shou-Yu

12. Subitai

Subitai Valued Member

Yo Xue Sheng, :) We recently had 2021 online only World Tai Chi Day. I did Sun Taiji for it...albeit I adjusted slightly for camera frame and brevity.

13. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Very nice demo!