trying to lose weight.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by 8limbs38112, Jan 13, 2014.

1. proteinnerd

proteinnerd Valued Member

Sure, but there is always going to be measurement error (when isn't there?). They are the numbers I got off the same device, I measured weekly at the same time of the day, its the best I could do and I didn't expect such great results or to have anyone else care about them a year later.

I was planning on having a DEXA scan done at the time but didn't get around to it....kinda wishing I did now.

Initially I was using both the electrical impedance scales and skin fold measurements but as I could only really take my abdominal measurement myself and you really need another person to do the other sites to get actual calculations, I just fell back to the more convenient scales.

We don't need to go into how electrical impedance scales aren't 100% accurate, I know that, what they do if you get a decent model is at least give fairly consistent results even if the actual figure isn't 100%. If you go from 12% to 10%, sure you may not actually be 10% but you will have lost approx 2% fat from the initial reading. There is always going to be a +/-

I recorded total weight, body fat, water% and BMR results. Sadly, the only day I didn't take the additional 2 measurements for water and BMR was the 17th Feb, but I do have them for the 4th Feb.

I'm adding the months data here to save myself time in then next day or so when someone else questions them again. If you don't believe me , nothing I can do about that, as I said before, these are the results recorded at the time, I have no reason to make them up. If it makes you feel better to say the device is flawed, go for it.

I'm pretty much at the same point as Holy now and the thread isn't supposed to be about proteinnerds outlandish IF claims.

However , I think if I just stopped responding at this point, it would be assumed it is because I was lying.

These are the results I recorded at the time.

Date: Weight: BodyFat% Water% BMR
    15th Jan 76.8kg 11.2% 58.7% 1955
    21st Jan 77.1kg 11.6% 58.4% 1954
    28th Jan 77.8kg 11.1% 58.9% 1983
    4th Feb 78.1kg 10.1% 59.9% 2013
    17th Feb 78.7kg 10.2% xxx xxx

I was then away for work for 2 weeks and didn't take another reading for 2 weeks after that, training was sparodic, kept IF but wasn't recording calories very accurately
    18th March 77.4kg 12.2% xxx xxx

During the month I restarted creatine, was eating 3040 calories on training days(higher carb), 2100 on non training days(mod carb, higher fat). Used primarily whole foods although on some training days I needed to use a protein shake to boost calories and stuck to a 16:8 IF protocol.
    Changed my resistance training to a protocol I hadn't used for about 8 years. Reverse Pyramid training which I really don't enjoy despite the results so don't do now.
    I did used to be a gym/personal trainer years ago so know what I'm doing in the gym and can be VERY strict on my diet, I record everything I eat on myfitnesspal and stick to my macros and calories for the day.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  2. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Hey good work. By my calculations atleast 1kg of the weight gain is water.

At the start ROUGHLY you were around 46kg in water weight.

Now around 46-47kg in water weight (off the top of my head).

That's easily explained by the creatine and water retention.

So 1kg or so, (likely less) is muscle. Good work though.

3. proteinnerd

proteinnerd Valued Member

Yeah I initially missed the jump in water weight as I was focusing on the results for the 17th where i didn't record it.

Really wish I had done the DEXA scans now :bang:

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

honestly mate. it is IMPOSSIBLE to gain 3kg of muscle in a month. and the errors on bioimpedence are huge not fractional.

but theres is a lot of explanation when you look are water gain and even carbohydrate load.

5. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Being that I have dropped 110lbs of weight with 100 more to go I think ill weigh in on this.

holy mentioned the three important things, calorie deficits. However id like to add a caveat to that. Your metabolism. Lets say your maintenance level is 2900 calories, you on your diet eat 2000. That is a deficit.

The problem becomes that, after a while the bodies metabolism slows down, and you will find your self not loosing weight.

Now I have found that exercise helps fight this lowering of the metabolism. However your body is still in starvation mode and will fight to keep its metabolism low.

I found that by eating a higher calorie level once a week helps with the metabolic fight.

Lastly diets are not what you need. You need a W.O.E or way of eating. You need to find something that you don't even have to think about. For me that meant going on primal.(the VLC end of the spectrum).

You need to find something comfortable and easy to do. Something you don't dread doing.