Trying to learn CSS, ugh

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by StorDuff, Aug 7, 2004.

1. StorDuff

StorDuff adamantium

2. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Your missing the position in the rh-col style definition

position: absolute;
    top: 0px; left 400px; width: 100px; height: 100px;

Would create a 100 by 100 pixel area 400 pixels to the left of the page at the very top.

I pefer to use % or fixed colum sized tables rather then div or absolute positioning to account for various screen sizes. Like:

<html>
    <body>
    <table border="0">
    <tr colspan="3">
    <td align="center">test0</td>
    <td align="center">test1</td>
    <td align="center">test2</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td width="150">&nbsp;</td>
    <td>Block of really long text and images <br>
    blah, blah, blah,blah, blah, blah
    blah, blah, blah (its a technical term) blah, blah, blah<br>
    blah, blah, blah,blah, blah, blah,blah, blah, blah
    </td>
    <td width="150">&nbsp;</td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </body>
    </html>

3. StorDuff

StorDuff adamantium

I've partly figured it out, but I have an entirely new problem. I added what I needed, and am making changes in the .css file, and reuploading, but nothing is happening. I had a feeling my changes were doing nothing so I went to change the bg color of rh and it didn't update. Weird. Why are my changes doing nothing? [​IMG]

4. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Did you test it on your machine? If the changes occured there it could be a server glitch, sometimes it takes a minute to register uploaded files. Try deleting the css from your browser cache (or just clearing it altogether). It may not download the new style sheet if it thinks it already has a new copy.

5. com160

com160 New Member

when refreshing the page hold shift, then press refresh (F5) this will make sure it uses the new server copy rather than a cashed copy.

6. hongkongfuey

hongkongfuey Kung Fu Geek

a good tip for anyone working in CSS - Download Mozilla Firefox (if you havn't already!) then load the Web Developer extension. It lets you view and edit CSS on any webpage (even one you did not create).

For example you can load up www.microsoft.com, choose 'edit css' and then play around with the default.css file to see how changes affect the site as you make them. Obviously these changes are only local to you and will not affect the website for anyone else!!

7. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter