Trump tweets about postponing November election

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Mitlov, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

So Trump just tweeted about postponing indefinitely the November election. This is unprecedented in the USA. We held elections on schedule during WWII, WWI, the Spanish Flu (1920 election), and even the frickin' civil war.

Combined with some other stuff going on, this is honestly starting to feel like a coup d'etat.

David Harrison and Dead_pool like this.
  2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Even McConnell and other Republicans are speaking out against Trump on this, which is a relief.

I don't doubt at all he would overthrow our Constitution and become a dictator. It is beyond frightening to be living in these unthinkable circumstances. He is evil- on a scale I never could imagine here before.

If the election was delayed, according to our Constitution, Pelosi would take over and become President.

Mitlov and Dead_pool like this.
  3. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

Trump does not have the power to delay the election.

Mitlov and Dead_pool like this.
  4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

59a7b10.png

After reading some conservative pages on another website I believe the current insane plan is to somehow delay all elections (including for the senate so Nancy P's as well) then take over the senate by allowing governors to pick senators, and get a republican majority and head of house.

I have no idea if that plan is even slightly doable, but theirs lots of support for it in the pro trump areas of the internet.

Which just goes to show how dangerous trump supporters are.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    Mitlov, Grond and David Harrison like this.
  5. Dead_pool

This is the legal position, it seems it's quite a complicated subject.

(The video is a lawyer going through the situation.)

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  6. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Fox News reporting on the co-founder of the Federalist Society calling Trump a fascist: Federalist Society co-founder says Trump’s tweet about postponing the election is grounds for ‘immediate impeachment’

I'm hoping that the GOP are working to get rid of Trump themselves, purely because his polling is so bad (not out of any sort of integrity or morals). I think the knives are out, and they are working out how to turn on him while keeping some semblance of narrative and plausible deniability.

7. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

There isn’t time for another impeachment and I seriously doubt it would get traction in the Senate.

If the lunatic did somehow end up with a second term, he could become the first president in history to be impeached twice.

8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I would just like to point out that Trump is saying it's so safe that schools should be punished for remote learning instead of classroom instruction in the fall, BUT ALSO so dangerous out there that we can't possibly hold an election.

Clearly this election nonsense isn't actually about anyone's safety.

9. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Now I know what really changed between Obama and Trump. Obama's message was, of course, hope (and the audacity of having it). Trump's message is anger, and fear. Vote for him, or else everything is doomed to ruin. Now I know the difference between John Lewis' "good trouble", and mere trouble.

10. Dead_pool

11. Dead_pool

Grond and axelb like this.
  12. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Oregon and Utah and Washington and a couple others have been doing universal vote by mail for years. It's safe, reliable, and practical. We don't even have the infrastructure for in-person polling!

Dead_pool and Grond like this.
  13. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I try to stay out of Trump discussions (so much wasted time) but he went from saying mail in voting was bad, to but OK in Florida, to it could delay the election weeks, and now to "years".

I don't think he knows how elections even work. The ballots get collected, validated, and processed the same way as voting in person. It's quite possible he still doesn't know why he won. He certainly doesn't seem to know how to win again, despite the crowing of his ever diminishing fanbase. I hope our next president learns from Trump's mistakes and actually attempts to unite Americans, because right now it's all 'us and them' and Trump seems to relish it.

14. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I hear Biden is the only one with a chance? Thats at least what is portrayed over here in UK. Bernie, Yang etc dont get mentions anymore. (At least within my echo chamber :D)

15. Dead_pool

Biden won the democratic party's leadership election, so now it's Trump Vs Biden.