True Meaning of Karate?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by NotaMA, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Oh toodles!

2. NotaMA

NotaMA Valued Member

Oh Wow

Who knew a humble little No-Belt like me could start such a long thread...

But anyways, I think Karate is a very beautiful and nostalgic yet effective art, one that we must not preserve like an animal in a cage, but set it free and make changes to it so it can adapt, and we will have a larger arsenal of techniques as martial artists. Yet at the same time, we have to protect the art from harm, just like a wildlife preserve lets the animal roam free, yet at the same time protects it from harm, meaning we have to adapt the art but not butcher it beyond recognition as Karate.

Like Hannibal said, every art has something that defines it from another. For example. Shaolin Kung Fu is known for its graceful circular movement and its deep, wide stances. Jiu Jitsu is known for its ability for a small man to flip a big man onto the ground, and Karate is known for its linear and direct movement, yet bearing some resemblance to its ancestor, Kung Fu, and Wing Chun is known for its rapid and graceful movement and quick yet effective methods.

(Those descriptions may not be accurate but you get my point)

Everything changes. Trees change as they grow, people change as they age, etc. and just as everything else gets older and changes, as does Karate. We just have to make sure it changes for the better.

We shouldn't be afraid to change Karate a bit to fit with all the change and adaptation of the world. Change happens for a reason. It's not like Sensei Funakoshi can pop out from 6 ft. under and scold us about it.

But I don't see why you should listen to a total noob like me when you guys are all like, pros and stuff. I'm just stating an opinion.

3. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

So, remind me again as to when you'll actually start training? The pontificating, as has been pointed out already in thread, has not been the most accurate.

4. NotaMA

NotaMA Valued Member

As you well know the hectic time of Christmas is no time to start Karate, what with the financial stuff and the running back and forth, etc.

Let's say Early Januray.

5. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Good luck, then. I'd certainly like to know how actual training impacts your train of thought about the martial arts once you get some time under your belt. Godspeed to you.

6. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

My advice for when you start training is do more listening than speaking, and more watching than showing. Not to say you don't have some good ideas (some are good, some are not) but just trust the fact that those around you know more than you. A lot of people get into trouble trying to measure up to their training partners. You won't measure up just yet, but in a few years, there may come a time when you are the one people are looking to for advice. Just learn as much as possible and give it time :) your gonna love karate, let us know when you start!

7. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

I'll be honest - I think you are either a very good troll, or a newb that has read way to much on the interweb.

Either way - I'm betting karate won't suit you. For a start, you have to enter the dojo with you cup fully empty...

I'm guesing you can't do that.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  8. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Never mind his cup :eek: he needs just to step into a Dojo in the first place.

9. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Word.

10. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

I just re-read my post - "Fully empty" !!!

That’s got to be the ultimate oxymoron?

11. Grass hopper

If he's going into a good dojo with sparring, his first sparring class should empty his cup. Always works for me :)

12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

C'mon guys, there's nothing wrong with being a newbie as we all have to start somewhere. There's nothing wrong with being enthusiastic and naivete is something we should be willing to forgive too.

Nota has said he'll start training in January, so let's give him the time to do that and any friendly guidance we can until that time and then beyond as his knowledge grows.

We're here to help budding MAists not ridicule them, so let's help him follow that path and develop into the real practitioner he can be, not the unrealistic notions he may have now.

Mitch :)

13. Dean Winchester

I agree but there gets a point when waxing philosphical on an Internet forum will do more harm than good, especially after multiple threads.

He needs to train.

It's not like we've gone at him all guns blazing, if he's put off by the comments in this thread then he's not going to deal with training in Budo....or even life for that matter.

14. Mitch

Less pontificating and more training is always good. He definitely needs to train, and he's set a date for it too :) "Shut up and train" is always a good maxim :D

We also should be aware of our own pontificating though, don't you think? There's a time when perhaps it's best to simply say, "you should go train now" rather than start lecturing.

He'll find out soon enough what it's all about and I'd much rather encourage a newcomer's enthusiasm than stifle a beginners bravado.

Just my thoughts, no more than that :)

Mitch

15. Dean Winchester

Oh no I like lecturing, where would I get my feeling of self importance from without it?

I mean I can't spend all my time in the Ninjutsu forum.....

16. NotaMA

NotaMA Valued Member

I'd love to know that too. And thank you.

17. Mitch

No point, there's nobody there.

Or is there?

Mitch :D

18. NotaMA

NotaMA Valued Member

That's the glory of the internet. Even if you say something only once it'll be there later for others to see incase they missed you.

:3

19. NotaMA

NotaMA Valued Member

I will surely let you know.

and I aspire to be a great martial artist one day, and my dream is to become a respected Karate Sensei and a semi-successful musician.

20. Grass hopper

One step at at a Time, you need a yellow belt before a black belt :) you don't even know if you will like it, let Alone if you would like teaching!