Triangle opportunities

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Atharel, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Atharel

Atharel Errant

From where do you hit your triangles? What are the little tricks that make it work? What do you set them up with? How do you keep your opponent locked in as you work to cinch it?

Explain your favorite triangle setup here, and help Atharel fulfill BJJ project #3!!! (#1 was 'durr what is this chaining thing?!' and #2 was 'hay guyz I loves the omoplatas!, just completed')

My current favorite triangle:
    From the S-Mount, post on your bent-leg-side hand to keep stability and push their other arm out behind your non-bent leg. Keep your hips very low and your non-bent leg as tight to their shoulder as possible as you do this, it's important that you don't let them duck their head out too. Once their arm is out, pull their head and remaining arm up and snake your non-bent-leg around, minimizing space, and triangle your legs. Cross the arm and settle down for a mounted triangle.

If they resist you getting the arm out, work bent armlocks on it till they give you an opening.

Notes: they will often bridge and roll you to your non-bent-leg-side as you are getting their arm out. If you can get your triangle locked up before you let them roll you and pull their remaining arm with you as you're rolled, you can finish from the bottom like a regular triangle from guard.

What's your setup?

2. RunningDog

RunningDog Valued Member

I just leap for it. 15% success rate. Not really.

Triangle lockdown essentials:

1. pull his arm across properly
    2. lock ankle under knee
    3. pull his head down
    4. Bridge.

You need all 4, as soon as you have them it locks suddenly as if by magic. If not it's a struggle.

3. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Right now, I get it most often (like I can even say "often") from guard when a guy makes the mistake of pulling one arm in and one out. I realize that this is a white belt mistake, and so I do try and actually set it up by controlling an arm and working the leg high across his shoulders then grabbing my own shin to lock him down. If I can get this far, I just elevate my hips to throw my leg over, sinch it in using my existing grip on my shin (my coach says that grabbing your foot is asking for a broken ankle).

I try to work this as often as I can, because it's a quick swing of the leg to transition to an armbar... then back again. If he keeps both hands inside, I work the armbar. I suck at this, but I've seen what it should look like and want to harness the power! Muwahahahaha!

4. Atharel

Atharel Errant

RunningDog: Is there some position from which you are fond of going for the triangle? High guard? Rubber guard? Butterfly Guard? Pyramid? Some form of mount different than S? =)

Peisistratos: Yeah, I'm trying to keep working the main triangle a lot too. I keep having trouble getting that grip on the shin before he postures out, then I have to quickly transition to the armbar.. sometimes I have trouble getting it. Kinda frustrating.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  5. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

i hit my traingles from a 45 degree angle as they make a nice ting sound o wait we arent talking percusion are we?

6. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Seeing as the Judo forums being boring at the moment:

I usually get the triangle, or rather a reverse triangle, whilst attackinga tight turtle guard but I very rarely finish it, I usually end up with it either leading to me getting a kimura, trying for the armbar in desperation or switching to a pin after using it to turn them over.

Actually, I cant remember the last time I finished a triangle choke, thats in part because one of the guys I fight is an honest to goodness freak of nature, he's never tapped to any sort of strangle, only chokes.

7. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Gi or no-gi? With gi, I'll break him down and then get a good inside grip on the collar as deep as I can get it while controlling his arm with my other hand. Then I'll pull my closed guard up high before opening up.

I hear ya, though. I'm still working on making this technique solid for me. I've got a lot of reps to go. I'm a simple guy, though. I'm content to work the basics before I get caught up in anything too fancy.

8. RandomTriangle

RandomTriangle Valued Member

i get triangles from several different positions.

The simplest is a "push triangle."

i hold the back of my partner's neck with one hand, and their wrist with my other. While keeping their head in place i push their wrist to their chest as hard as i can. i simultaneously jump my hips as high as i can throwing my leg over their shoulder and cross my feet.

i keep head control while i adjust my body to the side, and adjust their arm. Keeping control of their head is the MOST important thing you can do.

That is the "basic" version of a VERY effective technique.

i usually start from an open guard. One foot on their hip with the other leg "hugging" their back. My body is angled about 45% to the side that is on their back.

I control the wrist on the side where my foot is on their hip. When you jump your hips/legs you need to keep their wrist pressed onto their chest. You should remove your hand after you cross your legs over their one shoulder.

If they push back (when you push their arm to their chest) i go with it. I extend their arm as far away from their body as i can, tuck my knee to my stomach (the foot that is on their hip) and shoot it over their arm (around the bicep) and lock my legs around their shoulders.

Those two set-ups work together well when you are good at transitioning between the two.

It works best no-gi, but still works Gi.

The first time i ever caught a purple belt was with those two set-ups. I say those two because i caught him 4 times in a row using both moves.

At first he used his elbow to press my leg that was on his hip to the floor. THAT makes this set-up even easier. Then i pushed his hand to his chest, he stuck his elbow out BUT i was able to get his hand close to his chest. SO i just swung my leg around his elbow and locked it in.

Trust me... it's a simple way to catch GOOD guys. Try it, and i'll post my other set-ups later. Triangles are my go-to moves.

9. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

I get them from the rear mount. That's what "position before submission" means, right? :eek:

10. RunningDog

RunningDog Valued Member

Try the 4 elements I listed above...

11. Slindsay

Tried them all mate, the guy physically can not be tapped by a triangle as far as I can tewll, our instructors a 4th dan who's been doing Judo for over forty years (I think), he was always a big fan of groundwork and used sankaku jimie quite a bit when he competed, he can't tap the guy even in drills, theres physically something wrong with his neck, I've put RNC's on the guy and seen no affect whatsoever.

12. RunningDog

RunningDog Valued Member

Try 'accidentally' stabbing him with a pen just to see if his blood's red. I suspect not. CYBORG!!

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

What about "accidentally" slipping the RNC back a bit and applying a throat bar?
    Not nice but might make his eyes water at least? :eek:

14. Slindsay

Done it, it works ok, I also try for hadakka jimie as well.

15. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Don't know if this is of any value, but sometimes if you get a good triangle on someone but you cannot seem to submit them, keep it on them without using up your energy and be patient while looking for other things. After a while, sometimes it seems as though the person will be begging you to submit them because they are stuck so long in an uncomfortable situation.

16. Atharel

Atharel Errant

that's my basic plan a lot of the time haha.. throw it up, push off the hip, try to tighten it up.. recently (as in practice tonight) a bigger guy will stop me from getting his arm across and in the prolonged struggle ensuing, I'll get a bent armlock on his non-trapped arm. It's something my instructor showed me, he's a triangle freak.

17. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

My instructor in judo once picked me to demonstrate Sankaku jime and he couldn't make me tap with it, so he switched the armbar and said, "Or, if the choke isn't working, you can use the armbar, like this." I wasn't offering any resistance or anything either. I just didn't feel any effect from the choke. The same goes for other blood chokes.

One guy did get me to tap in a triangle, though. I couldn't see exactly how he did it, but he (I think accidently) got me where his heel and my nose were being driven into each other. I was trying to get out of it, but it felt like the cartilage was tearing and it was just randori, so I tapped.

Maybe you should try that?

18. Slindsay

Possibly, I think before then I'm going to work on transitioning from the triangle position to a pin though, I've been having a lot of success with pins in competition and grading since I started Judo 9 months ago.

I found this online as well and I think I am getting to much shoulder when I go for my techniques:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Amu7f4rDYq8&mode=related&search=

19. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

I take Triangles from pretty much everywhere. Guard, mount, side mount, cross side, back, turtle, bottom of side mount, etc.

I've also yet to come across anyone that could not be choked. Some times if you get a guy with a big neck and big shoulders he can be hard to choke, hard in that what works on most people won't work and you need to get a little more fine tuned with your technique. But that basically means "Do it right" :)

If the guy is not choking something is going wrong on your end, barring him being a freak of nature, he can be choked out. Probably just need a few minor adjustments to make it happen though.

20. Atharel

Atharel Errant

I'd be very interested in hearing how you get a triangle from cross-sides (I assume that's the same as what I'd call side-control) :)