Triangle Choke - How long to Tap Out?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Sonshu, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Interesting thread on another forum where someone is claiming it takes him around a minute with a correctly set up triangle choke (not including set up time) to Sub someone.

Views on this as it takes me 15-25 seconds depending on how strong and stubborn the person is.

What is your time and do you think if its on fully (someone pulling your head down to add pressure to the choke) do you 1 you could hold out a minute. I know I could not as my eyes are bulging out of my head and no air gets me.

2. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Sometimes ive found they've been set up so tight that i'll be tapping within 5 seconds of them pulling my head down.

Everybody is different though; people are built differently, some people have thin necks, some have no necks and some people have large shoulders... so some people are more susceptible to Triangle chokes than others.

3. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

if it is taking a minute it is not on properly (at least its not been on properly for the first 30 secs of that minute) IMHO.... if its on fully it should take no longer than 15 secs or so, and that is on someone with a good resistance.... fact is it is doing the same thing physically as a rear naked... cutting off the carotid arteries, suppliying no oxyginated blood to the brain - if this is actually happening it doesn't matter how big a person you are... you are gonna pass out - the prob comes more in getting it fully 'on' in the first place against a tough opponent

4. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Valued Member

If it takes him a minute I would doubt it is set-up correctly or on fully...

Same with any choke, if they are not on fully then the blood flow is only slowed down to a lesser extent and therefore takes longer to take effect. Commonly seen with a "head/arm" choke too. A properly applied triangle is effective almost immediately.

If your head is "bulging" chances are only the outward flow from the brain is restricted and not the inward...causing excess blood to the head and "overdosing" the brain.

Once you have the triangle set up, try moving your body allignment 45 degrees away from your opponent in the direction of the shoulder you have controlled (ie, the arm that is through, not free). This pushes the shoulder deeper into the neck.

(difficult to explain in writing...hope you get what I mean)

5. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

i know one guy who so far has been invulnerable to the triangle and rnc even when he has not resisted. i would say that when the triangle is applied properly that a person should tap within 5 seconds.

6. Sonshu

Oh would love to test mine out on that dude of yours.

Saying that there is a guy who when I roll with him at my club - Tom is his name he is one of the odd freakishly joined people. I can put a figure 4 arm lock americana style and it is a have to pop his arm out of his shoulder most of the time as he just seems to relax and have such a range of movement.

7. Kyle_s7

Kyle_s7 New Member

TRIANGLES FREAKING HURT!!! I was choked out by that <expletive removed> legs and crouch in four seconds!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2005
  8. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Ten to fifteen seconds, tops. Just pull the head hard enough, and they'll tap, whether the arm is across or not.

I noticed Lister pulled off a triangle at Bushido with the arm overhooked. That was tight.

As for the AMericana, I find I get a lot more taps by keeping the opponent's elbow as close to his body as possible, so that the torque is outward instead of upward.

9. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

A minute? Sounds like it isn't very tight. A good triangle can be felt within a few seconds...

10. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Just what I was thinking. I feel like my head is going to explode!

11. Stxsas

Stxsas Keep on Flowing..

If for some unknown or freakish reason the guy dont tap out, either hit him in the face a few times if you want, Or my favourite one is hold his nose and mouth with your hands.. He should run out of air sooner or later!! :D

But, realisticly a good triangle choke should be felt in a few seconds, as you have all been saying! ;)

12. Sonshu

Thanks and glad its not just me that taps people quick as I was thinking my students were all wimps.

Funny thing is this guy is a Gracie Barra guy apparently and on the Bullshido site.

13. Sonshu

I keep the arm as flat to the floor as possible and find this adds pressure as when I have it our going for outward motion I find people then fight to staighten there arm and then I need to convert to kimura or straight arm lock.

He is just a weird freekish person and I have got him before with it but his body just works oddly.

14. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I smell keyboard warrior ;)
    Has anyone tried putting the foot of the "pulling" leg on the inside of the opponents shoulder when doing a triangle? I had someone do that to me last night - I thought I'd be able to escape it easier but it just tightened so quick that I was tapping before I could push his leg out. Of course, it could just be that I'm useless :)

15. Sonshu

Not sure if I am reading it right.

A take on it rather than putting the leg round the back of the shoulders. I do adapt it by putting the leg across the thoat and the other leg that locks the choke in place across the back of them.

Then pull the head down, that way one leg does the job of the opponents arm giving the same effect but you can impose it even if there arm is not in the right place.

16. Sever

Sever Valued Member

That's pretty much it (I explained it very badly).
    Basically, the guys left leg was making the triangle around the back of my neck with the right leg completing it. He'd put his left ankle into his right knee giving a nice tight hold and put the instep of his right foot against my chest so all he had to do was attempt to straighten his right leg to put it on even tighter. Probably wouldn't work on someone who has a clue what they're doing, but it worked like a charm on me! :D

17. Sonshu

I think it will work on people as its not the "STANDARD" triangle everyone drills and watches for.

18. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

If somebody isn't tapping due to the triangle, you've always got the option to switch to the armbar.

19. TheMasterSword

TheMasterSword Cunning Linguist

yea to be honest i usually just go for the armbar once in the triangle position... it seems nowadays people's necks just get bigger and bigger and same thing with the shoulders so my legs feel like they're gonna explode when i wrap them around.

i love the triangle choke (my fav technique) but i'd rather make the guy tap in less than second than try and stay there for 10 seconds

20. Bhattman

Bhattman Valued Member

Been watching the Eddie Bravo vs Royler Gracie fight, and it took almost 17 seconds for Gracie to tap.

I have also found when applying triangles, some people seem to be able to hold out for 20 odd seconds - which seems to me to be quite a lot considering other chokes.