Tree usefulness?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by TaeAno, Aug 4, 2010.

1. TaeAno

TaeAno Certified Ninja

So lately i've been using my tree for various exercises like pull-ups on branches and resistance band training. But i've been told that it can be used for other exercises like kicking and conditioning, and I was wondering if they can be useful for anything else.

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Depends on the tree I suppose. Banana tree for kicking yes. Anything else pretty much no. But why kick a poor old banana tree when it's easy enough to get on a heavybag or find someone to hold pads. Seriously. Kicking a tree doesn't make you more hardcore.

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Before you kick a tree make sure it's not an ent. Those guys can get pretty violent when roused.

4. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Please don't kick trees. You will damage yourself. I know.
    they're great supports for handstands and pullup bars though :) Make sure it's a good thick branch. You're probably better off doing close grip pullups.

5. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

Yeah, it does...

..makes you very hard core :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-uJUQe80AY"]YouTube- Kick the tree![/ame]

6. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Some of my best friends are trees.
    If you want to destroy your joints and callous your hands, go ahead. If you still want to be punching hard past your 40s, increase resistance, not 'surface'.

7. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I broke a tree the other day doing pullups :(

8. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Hey, i thought you were a professional gardener, you're not supposed to be breaking trees.. unless of course you were pruning?

9. gcollin

gcollin Banned Banned

FIRE, fruit, shade

10. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

And 3 Star forearm patterns.

The only type of thing I ever found a sturdy tree to be useful for as an actual piece of equipment.

Tho' fairly thin saplings could be utilized by Pa Kua and Hsing I practitioners for the training with multiple upright poles which some of them practice.Which possibly originated from using saplings.

gcollin,you forgot maple syrup!

11. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

haha yes definitely please be my guest you should go and kick the tree right now, haven't you seen the kickboxer ? its based on true events go kick a tree in fact why not go kick a concrete pillar like they do in the film as well, what's the worst that can happen.

12. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Please don't hit a tree.

Please do watch slips vid on inverted body weight rows and find a tree with a nice Y shape (Think bart simpsons catapult but bigger) rest your feet in the crook and grab the branches, go nuts.
    Definatly ups the suck o' meter.

13. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

I hear trees are good for breathing exercises during the day, they provide a lot of oxygen, it's just a rumour though!

14. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Be nice to trees or tree hugging hippies will come after you.

15. Cuong Nhu

Cuong Nhu Valued Member

O'Sensei Ngo Dong (the guy that founded Cuong Nhu) actually routinely kicked an oak tree, and Masahiko Kimura would spend hours practicing throws on hard woods. You can kick trees and avoid injury, but that requires conditioning I really doubt you've done. We're talking years of building up from kicking a heavy bag, to kicking a makiwara. And even then, doing it without some serious supervision, is dumb as hell.

16. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

who is arguing with you please go out right now and boot an oak tree as hard as you can just do us one favour and film it then post it up here.

17. Cuong Nhu

Cuong Nhu Valued Member

Thank you for ignoring half of my post, it's really constructive to the conversation.

18. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

and newcomers coming on here looking for practical information on a martial art or taking an interest in genuinely learning how to fight are going to see a constructive image of martial arts when they read posts like yours with grandmasters and ridiculous training myths.

19. Cuong Nhu

Cuong Nhu Valued Member

You should try reading the entire posts I make. It would significantly decrease how stupid you look.

20. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

haha go bang your head of an oak tree, surely it won't do anything but make strengthen your brain power then you too could be a grand master.