Transitioning from bjj/mma to highschool wrestling?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Flinty, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Flinty

Flinty aspiring nak muay

Has anybody done this? i find it extremely difficult to adjust because i was trained to have subs and what not ingrained in my head to where they were almost second nature, kinda like when someone in wrestling goes for a takedown i automatically go for a guillotine choke, which i KNOW is illegal, but it just comes naturally. im very comfortable on my back in bjj, but in wrestling its a big no no

Anybody experience this? any tips, anything?

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Consider the wrestling as one specific part of your game. Think of it as separating your top/control game from your total submission wrestling game. The most natural thing to do, if you aren't worried about getting submitted, is to keep your back off the ground at all times. Replace that guillotine with a nasty cross face.

3. Flinty

Flinty aspiring nak muay

Gracias Yohan
    Yeah i just started wrestling this week, all it will take is just a good bit of time for my mind to tranfer to the rules of wrestling. bjj feels so limitless compared to wrestling.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  4. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Must be interesting trying to adapt the rules too. The wrestling ones seem so complex in comparison to MMA

5. Flinty

Flinty aspiring nak muay

i know its weird. like you cant wrap both arms around their torso like when they go for a takedown or something..idk there are soo many.