Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by GrappleorWrestle, Jun 24, 2009.

1. GrappleorWrestle

GrappleorWrestle Valued Member

Just finished my early showing about an hour ago of the second Transformers. It was pretty entertaining even if it was 2.5 hrs long. The movie contained quite a bit of comedy relief. The twins (two new Autobots for this movie) are quite entertaining along with the mother and a few others. The Autobot vs. Decepticon action was pretty decent. I think there may be a few complaints on the last battle sequence, but we will see.

All in all it was an entertaining movie. If you enjoyed the first one you will definitely enjoy the Revenge of the Fallen. Just make sure if you have to go to the restroom you do not miss the action sequences.

P.S. There's a new hottie in this movie that some of the guys may like......

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

At least Prime got to have a proper fight in this one!

I enjoyed it I just thought they tried to cram a bit too much in which meant some of it wasn't explained fully enough. Ok for me as I'm a Transformers nut but others not so familiar with the background "fluff" might miss a few things.

3. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Might go and see this tomorrow. Or I might wait until next week and have a day in the cinema watching Transformers, Public Enemies and Ice Age 3 :D

4. Looking forward to seeing this.

Seems to be a fair few things worth seeing on at the moment.

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I would like to nominate Megan Fox's thighs for an oscar.

...and before you judge me too harshly, you should note that my first draft had her nominated for a Golden Globe, or more specifically, a pair of Golden Globes.

The film wasn't bad, a masterpiece after the shambles that was Terminator

6. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Ok here's my thoughts on the film:

I was a big fan of the first film and thought it managed in particular to get the tone just right- not taking itself too seriously and yet not descending into complete lunacy. I did feel there wasn't enough Transformer action and that the whole matrix storyline was a bit flakey. But those where minor quibbles so the point is I was very much looking forward to the sequel.

Having seen the sequel at the end of last week I have to say that it was one of the most disappointing films I've seen in a long time.

Yes there were some nice action scenes (particularly the fight in the woods) but some nice action scenes can't make up for the movies major, major flaws:

1. The turned the humour way up but at the same time made it much more slapstick and juvenile as opposed to the first film which I thought was actually a little bit quirky. The robot twins are a perfect example of this- country bumpkin robots complete with buck teeth and big ears who spent the whole movie in Jar Jar Binks mode bumping into things and starting fights.

2. There were too many transformers thrown in simply to sell more toys. There were lots of interesting additions but despite the 2 hour running time they didn't even bother naming most of them let alone explaining what they were doing or why a race of transforming robots need males and females or an ancient transformer talks like a cockney and so on. The previous film actually made some effort to explain that kind of thing such as when they addressed why Jazz talked like he was from a blaxploitation film. The sequel didn't bother with any of that and just barrelled on.

3. The story... oh God the story!
    Not only was it ridiculously convoluted but it was also completely pointless. All the crap about the tomb of the Primes and the Ancients was so badly done that I was actually wishing for the entire film when the humans were talking that they would hurry up and shut up so I could get back to the mindless action. Also, Prime's death was well done except for the fact that he was brought back to life in such an ass pull manner.

4. General ridiculousness was very high and for me it really spoiled the film. I can only suspend my disbelief so much and remote control car transformers humping a girls leg, a tattooed fighter jet, the ridiculous terminator-esque transformer and Devastator being a crappy giant vacuum were too much for me.

5. Shia LeBouf and the entire ensemble completely overacted in every single scene. I was actually cringing during a lot of the extended dialogue scenes especially the ones involving romance. Megan Fox was hot but apart from that I can't think of anything good to say about any of the actors. LeBouf's parents in this film went from the first film's somewhat believable comedy figures into completely mental, slapstick comedy obsessed creatures and that was the same for almost every other character.

There's more but I think my opinion's pretty clear. I was looking forward to this film a lot so it kinda ****ed me off that I hated the sequel so much. You suck Michael Bay.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

It's a film based on a cartoon dreamt up by marketing men solely to sell toys to children.

People were expecting Hamlet? :)

Mitch

8. holyheadjch

I think one of the reasons I enjoyed it was that I didn't have any great expectations - the reverse of the reason why I absolutely hated terminator.

9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Ha.

This is more or less my view of the movie as well... take away the twins, the latino room-mate and you got a tighter movie. They did nothing and contributed nothing to the plot. Well the room-mate introduced the leads towards "Robo-warrior" (i cant find the spoiler tag to vent the huge plot hole here regarding him).

The laughs were forced, cheap and over used. I still giggled at some of them, others I cringed. I am a Michael Bay fan and having quirky random comedy moments is his style, look at any of his movies and you'll see examples of this. Best example would be in the first Transformers with Bernie Mac and "Rico" his clown at the car pound. Even the camera work was over done...I watched this on the Imax and almost got dizzy when Shia and Megan was first saying goodbye and the camera was just constantly spinning, John Woo himself would've said "too much".

Very disappointed with the lack of use of the other Autobots (sorry dont know if this counts as a spoiler) but Rachet and Ironhide are rarely used, you see Ironhide a couple of times pointing his guns, saying some badass lines and I dont even remember seeing Rachet even turning himself into the upright position just driving down the desert.

Soundwave was awesome I thought, definatly a improvement from being a Sony Walkman. and voiced by Frank Welker the original Megatron :)

In the end I still enjoyed it and I will still buy this on DVD as I'm a Michael Bay fan.

Action scenes were still awesome, you got some headkicks and some cool flying knees.

10. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

"To be or not to be, that is the All Spark..."

I'm seeing this tonight and I cannot wait to see Megan Fox! :cool:

11. CKava

I also agree with everything you said Mushroom ;), I liked the Bernie Mac-esque scenes from the first movie but in this one they just seemed too overdone.

Soundwave was good though! Even if he did just float around in space the whole film and I also thought the Arcee character looked interesting but since she only appeared in random action sequences and never spoke there wasn't really much chance to develop a character.

With all that said I probably will 'buy' it when it comes out on DVD due to the action stuff. I might just mute the human talkie bits though.

12. holyheadjch

It did start really, really slowly, I think you could have told the story in less than 2 hours - of course in that case you would have left a lot of Megan Fox's pouting on the cutting room floor.

I thought the twins were awesome, cracked me up every time.

13. GrappleorWrestle

I can agree with this. The movie was very entertaining and that's all I really care about in a movie. I know it may sound crazy, but I actually do go to movies for entertainment.

I had issues with how they did Devastator.
    Seriously, why did they have him sucking up the pyramid? He should have been down there kicking some **** . Also, they didn't actually name any of the Constructicons

About the last fight scene:
    While Optimus did gain some extra power/armor the final fight should have lasted longer. He completely destroyed the Fallen and Megatron. Also he should not have dropped the gear afterwards.

All in all it's not the worst remake of a cartoon series. And considering that it is going to be a trilogy I can live with it. Of course it will be interesting to see how they do the next movie(s). They will have to bring in the Combaticons and Protectobots next!

14. CKava

The thing is so do I. I mean for God sake I liked the new Die Hard film and the first transformers movie! An action movie can be entertaining and still include a good story and decent acting. Compare Dark Knight with Batman & Robin both both are action films and both had impressive action scenes but only one I would say is properly entertaining.

15. Chimpcheng

I have GOT to stop getting my hopes up about movies I really want to see after being burned so badly with Indiana Jones and the Aliens from another Dimension and Terminator Robots A Go Go. Sadly, I can add Transformers Revenge of the Fallen to that list.

I'm a huge fan of the first film as it featured crap turning into other crap and introduced a cinematic Megan Fox having perved over her in TV's Hope and Faith. Hell, I even imported the Target exclusive transforming DVD package for some £40 only to have HMV sell it for £20 in the UK. GRRRRR.

So, you can imagine how mental I went after seeing the awesome trailers now imagine how mental I went after leaving the cinema.

Sure it was very pretty to look at, as with just about all other Michael Bay movies, but it was just one stupid comedy robot and spinning camera shot too many for me.

The Autobots looked awesome asides from the stupid twins (basically two Jar Jar Binks asw already mentioned) and the awful comedy tiny Decepticons who just reminded me of Gremlins running amuck in, erm, Gremlins. I swear I heard the Gremlins theme tune at one point.

Some of the action was good, great even, Optimus getting his fight on in the woods for example and I loved the update of Soundwave but, oh Jetfire, what did they do to you? ("Blimey O'Reilly Guv'nor, I'ves gots to gets me up those apple and pears! Sweet as a naaaht!").

Still, there was always the lovely Megan Fox, quite simply the greatest actress of her generation. She transformed my pants into a two man tent!

Anyway, there is only one thing that can save this franchaise: DINOBOTS!!! And more Megan Fox!

16. Mushroom

Who was in there with ya?

Yeh, general consesus is Dinobots (GRIMLOCK!) will be awesome, however I wonder how they will explain their origins (build em, make em, base themselves off a Dinosaur back when they were around or Michael Bay just goes "screw it, they're there, I aint explainin nothing") Chances are the last one will be the one.

Megan Fox III: some Transformer thingies

17. Chimpcheng

I think the precedent has already been set with Optimus explaining that humans and Transformers have met before and have a long history which paves the way nicely for the Dinobots.

18. GrappleorWrestle

Dinobots, Combaticons, Protectobots, and all those. Any would be up for a great movie as long as they didn't do what they did to the constructicons and devastator.

19. holyheadjch

I've noticed that the people who hated the film tend to have a rather impressive knowledge of the cartoon. I have vague, fond memories of the cartoon but nothing firm, so I can't feel offended at the treatment of some of the characters.

20. Mushroom

I was thinking that, but didnt he say that the first time they turned up was during the Cro-magnon. Now i dont know my dinosaur history at all, so they were before humans?

Also if the Cybertrons did turn up during Dinosaur period and turn themselves into Dinosaurs, wouldnt that mean that they can "scan" biological matter as well as "machinery"?

I dont know my history nor my transformers history. Although I do sorta remember they were part of the "Savage Land"? Which is the Dinosaur island in Marvel Comics.

correct/educate me pls :p