Training

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by BlindClown, Aug 3, 2007.

1. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

i need to train on my own now so is there any form of kick shield / punch pads for solo training in kung fu?? kick shield i have is ment to be hel by a friend :(

thanks in advance

2. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Use a punchbag or wooden dummy?
    Or else, try making a frame from wood that can hold two seperate focus pads.

3. SirVill

SirVill Valued Member

Yeah get a heavy bag, a wavemaster or a BOB I guess.

4. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

The only thing is that the wavemasters and BOB's dont look very durable or reliable and heavy bags take up alot of room , they need to be supported into wall or ceilien, so best off in a garage .. i was hoping some one had invented some sort of kick shield support so you can solo train on a kick shield. if i was any good at wood or metal work i would create one.

Does anyone have a bob or wavemaster and can advise me to buy one for solo training in kungfu(wing Chung) , i want to train punches and kicks by my self.

5. Emil

Emil Valued Member

A BOB is very durablenless you have it in something like a boxing class.The same goes for a wavemaster, but I would choose a BOB over a wavemaster any day. Of course, as has been mentioned, a heavy bag would be better, but that does not seem to be an option. Obviously, you won't be able to pracice your trapping on any of these, as they have no arms. To practice trapping you will need a mook joong.

Of course, you could always get a heavy bag that you don't have to join to a ceiling or wall. You could get one that is on a stand.

I have never had the need to build one, but I suppose something that you could do, if you were any good with wood, would be to build something like this (forgive the lack of a diagram):

1.) 4x4 wooden beam (approx 96ins long)

Attatch the piece of 4x4 to a small wooden platform (perhaps made of thick plywood for budgeting) using sticks of 2x2 to make a teepee effect with a long stick poking out of the top.

2.) Another 4x4 wooden beam (approx 48ins long)

Join this beam at the top of the 4x4 length in part one, at a 90 degree angle. There are a variety of different joints you could use here. After deciding on your joint, join it, and strengthen it with some 2x1 bracing.

3.) Two 4x4 wooden beam (approx 24ins), 2 strong springs

Join the first wooden beam to the beam from part 2. Using lengths of 2x4, brace this beam across to the first beam from part one until it is strongly held. You may also need to brace to another wooden platform at the bottom for balancing purposes. Then cut a hole into the 24 ins beam that you can attatch the first spring to. Attatch the kick shield to this spring. Build you base again the same as in part one, and join the other 24 ins piece of 4x4 to this base. Put a spring through this and attatch it to the bottom of the kick shield.

4.) For extra control over the shield, you may want to get some lengths of
    4x2 and brace from the first beam to hold it in a specific place.

Please note, all the measurements here are quantitative. In particular, the measurements of the 24ins beams are mere gueses, as I can not remember the exact size of a kick shield. They must be long enough to substantially hold the shield and force of kicking, but short enough to ensure a good pull on the spring.

There is also the problem that the kick shield might rip easily, so perhaps some industrial elastic would be better.

If you plan to make this, or have it made, I would be happy to give you advice on its construtction.

Em

6. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

Thanks for that Em i will certainly look into getting this made , jsut need to find the right craftsman/craftswoman...

also i have another query how good are the chest pads

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3E5B1UdZ0Tw

used in this video it doesnt seem very effective as in protective , i was just wondering if any one has or has used one of these , how much force can be applied before it comes through to the person? could i use this to spar in and be un harmed or less harm come to me.

thanks

7. Raven Wing

Raven Wing Valued Member

I've worn slightly heavier padding than that while being the "bad guy" for some heavy sparring/pressure testing, it protects you a bit but anyone with any power is still going to hurt you through it. How come you have to train on your own now? Or do you just mean you will be training outside of class as well?

8. Emil

Emil Valued Member

This would be better than anything for what you want.

Em

Attached Files:

• ges.jpg
      ges.jpg
      File size:
      1.9 KB
      Views:
  9. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

Yeah i mean outside class training , usualy had a friend to train with but he has moved away so on me own now and i really need to concentrate on this as its helping me to forget alot of other things going on in me life:p i wont go all emo on you though i wil leave it there

Thanks again em for your contribution .. but i have a wall bag which i think i will stick with for the punching just the kicks i need to concentrate on , dont really think i can practice kicks on a swinging bag as there is no give it will just swing and i wont feel the force .. if that makes sense....

10. Emil

Emil Valued Member

In that case, something like the following attatchment would be better. I wouldn't really use my design, as whilst it will hold the kick shield, and will offer some resistance, it would never be as good as something like this, otherwise I would have drawn up proper designs and sold them to a company and become a millionaire :D If you really want what I have designed, I could draw up some plans, but to be honest, I'd advise against it.

Em

Attached Files:

• Bag.jpg
      Bag.jpg
      File size:
      2.1 KB
      Views:
  11. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

So are these useful to me?
    Just seem like they will bend to much and there for give no force back

How i see it is if im kicking something to train my power i need it to be sturdy , where as if i kick one of these in my eyes it will jsut bend/flop backwards and not actually absorb the power of my kick and there for i will never actually gain more strength/power in my kicks

Does that make any sense?? if not i will try re-write it:p