Training with Steve Morris - Review

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by alister, Dec 17, 2006.

1. alister

alister Huh?

Hi everyone,

just wanted to share with you a session that I attended today - a "MMA" training session with Steve Morris.

If you haven't heard of him, he was widely thought of as being one of the best Karetekas of his era but has, over the years turned his back on Karate, and at the same time upset a lot of people. But if you want to know more of that, you can see it all on his website at:

www.http://www.morrisnoholdsbarred.co.uk/

On to the session - it was held at "Monster Gym" in Cheshunt, Herts (an amazing place that puts "health clubs" to shame). We started off with what Steve calls his "fundamentals" - looking at stance, body position and movement. Then we moved into basic defensive posture, some striking, kicks and some basic take downs.

I'm not going to go into detail - but suffice to say, I learned a lot and Steve challenged me to think about the reasons I do certain things and I quickly realised that I've just being doing certain things that make no sense, just because that was what I was shown in one of my old MAs.

Everything, without exception, Steve can explain and can show an understanding that goes beyond anything I've seen before. This is not something that can be said of a good deal of instructors.

One of the main aspects of what we covered in this session was looking at really letting go and "expressing" aggression - an all out no frills affair on the pads. This was all about understanding what level of ferocity is required in real fighting and again, I have to say, that once everyone had let their inhibitions slip, the room was absolutely buzzing. I've never come close to the level of ferocity I achieved today - a real "benchmark" moment.

We later loked at some training drills - again, really enlightening and the intensity was a step up from anything I've done before - some major revision for me and the way I train.

By the end of the session I was fried - my legs ache like they haven't done probably since my military basic training and I'm sure there'll be more soreness tomorrow, but i'm a very happy man.

I have to admit, I didn't know what to expect from the session - Steve's reputation preceeds him, but I found him to be a warm and amazingly knowledgable man and the intensity of his enthusiasm is something to behold. He's 63 apparently - now some may say that's no age, but at 32 and feeling every day of it, I've got to say, I was impressed - amazing movement and fitness that many would struggle to match.

As for the crowd - whatever your image of MMA'ers is - lose it. It was a real mixed crowd in terms of age, experience, base style and, importantly, desire to fight competitively. Most people seemed to just want to add some reality to their training and understanding and I'm certain no-one left disappointed. And this stuff is just as applicable to the street as it is to a cage.

Now, I'm a 32 year old dad of two and if I'm honest, a bit overweight. I love my martial arts, but I'm never going to be a champion of anything, let alone a cage fighter. I just want to know what it takes to protect myself and my family. I got that today, by the truck load.

If you want to feel what it takes to win and get some common sense reality back into your training, Steve's your man. Keep an eye on his site for up-coming courses and get yourself down there. Come out of your comfort zone and I promise you won't be disappointed.

Cheers.

2. BigBoss

BigBoss This is me, seriously.

Just watch some of his video clips on his site and he's in great shape for a 62 year old. But did you notice he sounds a hell of a lot like cliff richard!!! I half expected him to burst into "we're all goin' on a, summer holiday..." lol

3. Ressla

Ressla Valued Member

To make 1 Steve Morris:-

50% of Stephen Hawking's brain
    50% of Charles Manson's brain

Encase the above in the body of a Terminator.

Voila!

4. BigBoss

BigBoss This is me, seriously.

Add vocal box of Cliff Richard!

5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Is he related to the English karate guy Vince Morris?
    Vince came to the USA a couple years ago for seminars. He was excellent. I'd go again.