Training with a gumshield in?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Incredible Bulk, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/mouthpiece.html

i was reading this article and when i was boxing a while ago i was told to do all my cardio and bag work with a gummy in, since i quit i forgot to do so with my other MA training in general.

I'm going to start doing this again but i thought i'd ask the community here if they train (bag work, cardio etc) with theirs in?

:)

2. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

When I was coming up to my last tournament I was doing bag work with my guard in, was,erm....interesting! It was more a case of getting used to breathing heavily with it and,as well as learning not to dribble with it in too :D

3. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Normally only if I'm training for a fight. So in the 6 week run up to the fight I will do bagwork and circuit training wearing my gum shield.

4. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Same here! Though I spar every week so I am quite used to having the sheild in place.

5. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

I dont have to bother with a gum shield, i just remove my denchers when sparring or fighting.

6. Freeform

The OP was asking about bagwork and cardio though. With grappling training sparring and drills I don't think there's a week that goes by that I don't wear my gumshield (when I'm not out injuried that is ;) ).

For regular training it exists in the same catagory as a cup, you'd be silly not too ;)

7. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

out of curiosity, if you train with a gumshield for 6 weeks for example before a competition to get used to it... why not train with it in all the time?

8. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Ive never really trained cardio with the shield in, only bag work.

The reason i only train with it sometimes is because im a lazy git and its too much like hard work to spend that extra 5-10 seconds finding it in the bottom of my bag!

9. Freeform

Because I don't like the feel of it. Simple as that. And also I do a lot more circuit/bagwork training 6 weeks before fighting than I normally do.

I suppose it's part of the pre-fight ritual for me, train harder/more, be sober, lose weight.

10. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

On some bagwork, not cardio, and often for grappling, particularly with lower grades in JJJ! I never know what they're going to try.
    I need to reset mine though, it doesn't work quite as well as it should now.

11. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

really depends on the focus of my training....always spar with it , and ado allot of mitt work and bag work with it in....unless the purpose of the work is cardio in nature...like burn out work till you puck stuff.

why not leave it in all the time?

kinda like the live high train low theory. that thereory says ideally...and few ppeople can do this (including me) because of location and logistic. but ideally you should live at a high altitude cause the lack of oxygen stimulates production of extra red blood cells and increases you cv function.

however you should train low cause if you train at high altitude you get tuckered out to fast to get a good workout in. dont believe ....go to the mountains you will get tired playing freezeby.

its simmilar with the gummsheild....i want to get used to beathing in it durring the fight. but it resticts air flow during supr hard workouts.

alot of times i keep it in till i am gasping for air ...spit it out and continue.

12. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I think the article makes a lot of sense. If I ever wore a gumshield when I fought, I'd wear one when I drilled.

13. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Exactly! The last thing you want to be doing the day before or on the day of a fight is to be getting used to wearing a gum shield while breathing heavily.I really do hate wearing them but entirely necessary unfortunately.

14. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

As much as wearing a gum shield is uncomfortable, the best I've found is to get one made at your dentist office if at all possible. That way the fit is much better than those bought at any sporting goods store, and it doesn't feel as bulky when weaing it.

15. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Bit expensive round here. I'm happy with my shock doctor.

16. hux

hux ya, whatever.

I always wear mine when training. It's so second nature now I don't even think about it. It is a single, if that makes any difference...I think a double would be harder to deal with.

17. Freeform

Shock Doctors, IMHO, used to be good quality. Now they have gone the route of 'fashion' with superflous gimmicks to get people to buy them.

My last Shock Doctor I bought was appauling for the money I sent on it, it was a poor shape and wouldn't stay in (I have 15 yrs experience of moulding gum shields).

I'm now resolved to stick with my 5 for £8 basic boil and bites. They're easier to shape with a knife anyway.