Training tips for flips

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by KSW_Martley, Apr 13, 2006.

1. KSW_Martley

KSW_Martley Valued Member

I know there are a couple of people here who are the ones who do all the flippy stuff in demos and that :) How did you train yourself to be able to do them? Could you do them straight away? Did your instructor teach you or someone else? Even handsprings I find difficult to do :eek: The flips are cool though :D Ain't it part of the blackbelt Nak Bub?

2. kiseki

kiseki beating shadows since '06

I'm also curious about that, as we have a DBN who is comparable with me, and a white belt who always lands on his feet

3. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

No, couldn't do them straight away. I taught myself a lot of stuff by going down the school field and jumping in to the sandpit. Last couple of years I have been going to a gymnastics centre (with ksn_matt) and that has really helped. I would recommend that.

Like anything else, it requires a lot of practice. Can you jump high? If not then I would say start there by doing some plyometrics drills as a lot of it is easier if you can jump well.

4. KSW_Martley

KSW_Martley Valued Member

Yeah I can jump quite high, and I'm very flexible. I think its just the vibes of un-confidence that hit me when I try to do them and stop me going that little further! Going to a gymnastics centre sounds really good, I think I'll try that in the summer after I've finished my exams. :D

5. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

confidance comes with practice and good coaching.
    i am the biggest coward, when it comes to flipping, just ask airnick, but if i can over come my fears and do it so can you.

good luck, and try not to land on your head to often. :D

6. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

Also, don't try anything until you are pretty sure you can do it. If you go to do one of these things half heartedly or unsure, that's when you get injured.

7. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

and if you're going to go for it, be confident and DO NOT PULL OUT OF THE TECHNIQUE!!!
    That's the best advice i can give as an ex gymnast. That was exactly how i was injured.

8. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

9. Shibby!

Shibby! Valued Member

My first flip i learned on a bouncy castle :)

It was a back somi, then i decided not to be a big girl and go do it on the grass, i wasnt confident to do a standing back somi, so did a round off back somi. Landed pretty much on my feet and fell over. Got it 2nd attempt. :Angel:

The only thing you need to learn if confidence while doing it, never EVER pull out a flip halfway round.

Since then i have just been trying any flip on the mats etc, it doesnt matter if you fall, it doesnt hurt, when you do lots of flips etc, it makes you more confident to try different ones, then if you land on your back or side etc, you get up and try it again!

Run through exaclty what you are going to do in your head first, then as Nike says, Just Do It

Nick

10. PopeCoyote

PopeCoyote The words of the fool

Personally, I find one the best trainiing tips is to practice in our housing division's swimming pool. For acrobactics like handsprings, the bouancy of the water helps me work on getting the technique properly while giving me a "safety net" that keeps me from injuring myself if I do it wrong. I also use the pool to practice forms in, as the resistance of the water forces me to slow it down. And alsoi think of the deep abdomen breathing training yoyu get when submerging yourself for handspring.

11. Gi Ma Ja Se

Gi Ma Ja Se 90 degrees is 4 real MA's

i taught airnick everything he knows.... :D im just to shy for demos lol............

But seriously im the worst when it comes to acrobatics!! (thats why nick falls on his face alot and has taught Matt this as well now :D ) both me and my bro have trouble with flips!! its in our genes..... i remember when we were blues belts our instructor made us practice a kip up all class.... yet we still couldnt do it by the end of class!!! i just stick to the basics now and occasional cart wheel LOL

12. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

LOL you may have some competition for that accolade :cool:

13. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I learned by having two friends grab onto my belt for a spot. This got rid of the fear of doing the flip. You just need to be nice to your friends and not flail your arms or legs.

14. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

We've done this to help introduce kids to doing flips...mostly to let them get used to the notion of flipping.

You have two people, one stands on either side of you, facing your shoulder (and thus each other). One of their hands grabs your belt, the other hand grabs a handful of dobok at the shoulder. YOU still have to do the jump, tuck legs, and such, but they can be there to help you get up, stay up, and flip over. Exactly how they'll position their hands all depends on what direction you're going to flip... you can figure out which hand positions to use (e.g. left or right on top, right or left on belt) easy enough.

If y'all remember, some time ago I posted a thread about myself having troubles doing flips (stand-alone.. if someone throws me I have no problem) and that I was taking some private lessons with my SBN to get over it. Well, I still have problems. It's all in my head tho, that much I know. A couple weeks ago I was working on it more in class then stayed after and worked with one guy who used to take gymnastics and he gave me some good advice. Then it came down to just doing it. It was pretty neat that in class the next night only a couple people showed up so it was open class. I went to the back, pulled out the big crash pad, and did nothing but gong joong hwen jun nak bup the whole time. I'm still not over the mental fear of breaking my neck, but things are much better. Basically any time I can get to the crash pad to practice it I will. Need to just do it a few thousand times. :) Eventually I'll get back to the point where I stop thinking about it and just do it.

15. ember

ember Valued Member

I had been in gymnastics for maybe six months or so, around kindergarten. We had a little bit in PE, too, but not much. That was always something I wished I could do more of. (Gymnastics, horseback riding, archery... any wonder I like Kuk Sool? :D )

Most of what I do in Kuk Sool now, I was shown how by an instructor.

Two-handed cartwheels I remember from my previous experiences. I'm still awkward on one side, but usually can pull it off. One-handed cartwheels I can do on my good side.

Koyangi nak bubs (cat rolls) are FUN, and I can get some distance on those now. I haven't worked height as much yet. Hajen nak bubs (the ones that end in a side fall), I can do standing, but don't have much height yet.

I've been working on handsprings in BBC and other classes for over a year now, and still don't quite have it down. One of the things KJN said early on was that it takes trust. At this point I *feel* like I can do them, in my head, but they still aren't coming out quite right.

In our classes, we don't start working the front flips until we've mastered handsprings. So I haven't started those yet.