training till u puke

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Black Armor, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Black Armor

Black Armor I want your centerline!

I'm trying to increase my endurance, so i've been doing cardio in the form of all my katas. Last night me and 2 other students practices for about 1.5hrs, but towards the end we change things up and attempt to do the katas full speed, this certain kata that is done full speed lasts about a minute.............
    After going balls out 3x w/in 10min, I was on the ground ready to puke........ Does anyone ever take it to the limit. My body got so hott that steam was coming off me!

2. Dark Blade

Dark Blade It Roundhouse time

Yeah, done that a few times, wasn't doing much good. Looks pretty cool though :p

You'll find running can be a lot better that pushing yourself like that.
    Though you do get to practice kata and refine your technique.
    :)

3. Black Armor

Why wasn't it doing much good for you?
    I figure i'm getting alot of both sides, the endurance; when I walk off the mat, my gi top and shirt underneath is soaked like it got dunked in water. Plus I'm practicing all my kata's, thats stances, blocks, strikes... etc etc... I can't see possibly a negative side.
    running is good no doubt, but shifting your body in deep stances, transferring your mass from one strike to another... practicing spotting the opponent, ... its a double edged sword in my opinion.... plus running kills my shins.

4. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Yes, did that last night. My instructor had the class divided in two rows facing each other. Then we went back and forth across the room, one row defending, the other kicking only. Then back we'd go, the defending row was now attacking and the kickers defending. It was a great endurance thing. We did this for about 8-10 minutes all out. I didn't know whether to throw up or just have the heart attack.............

5. Black Armor

my kicks are getting alot faster and snappier (sp).... gaining more flow too. I weigh 250Lb's so kicks were my weakness regarding speed and swinging. Not so much no more.

6. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

1. How dare you talk katas in the kung fu forum! :D

2. Sounds like you're wearing an awful lot of clothes to training; you're going to overheat.

3. Reduce the onset of puking by being hydrated and make sure you don't eat within 2 hours of starting mad MA practice.

For a better endurance training we use soft/hard/soft method. Each form is performed softly/slowly, then with power/speed once or twice, then softly again. The move onto the next form. The hard soft trains every aspect of your method and instead of having breaks, you're getting you're breath back in the soft run-through.

Rgds,
    David

7. Black Armor

hey, we have been doing similar.. your method sounds useful! I'm definitely going to use your idea tomorrow night. We are also going to start doing every single technique in similar fashion. ... do you follow the same for your techniques. Your right to, I haven't been hydrating myself lately like I should. I wear the gi top so I can hear my hands moving when at times we close our eyes (for balance) But yes, I almost over-heated like a 78 Cadillac taking a road trip!

8. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I remember hearing about a wrestling gym up in coventry i think it was, which have puckets on the side of the wall because they train so hard that there is regular vomiting...

I say fair play to you though... Your working yourself hard which is good! :) I've come close to it but I ive never been sick through exhaustion like that.

9. FullContactKid

FullContactKid New Member

At the wrestling practices at my high school we always come off the mat with sweat drenched shirts, shorts, pants, and sweaters not a really big deal when people throw up its funny though

10. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

David, exactly what we do. I find it to be very useful!

Have not puked since my Ordeal. Not a fun feeling, but felt a lot better after I did.

11. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

We do the same thing -- kickes, punches, and other strikes. I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering whether to have a heart attack! This is really intense -- especially in the summer, with no air conditioning!

12. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

We recently started alternating "conditioning months" where the class focus shifts from skills and techniques to physical conditioning.

You know how you get kind of comfortable with a routine then something comes along and blows you out of the water. I show up expecting the usual (which in it's self is pretty a grueling workout) we go through our normal warm-up and finish it with a punching drill, center line punches from a front stance varying in speed and power 500 on each side. Throwing all you have into the last 100 of the set (assitants are walking from student to student with striking pads to ensure you put something into each strike) I'm drenched in sweat, panting and thinking whew, glad thats over! They roll out the BOBs (anatomically correct punching bags) and line us up four deep behind them. First person in line does the same punching drill we just finished alternating between head and body shots, next person holds horse stance holding a staff across the thighs, next person knuckle push-ups and last person does crunches. Each for 1 minute then rotate to the next exercise. At about the third full rotation I think everyone was ready to reveal their dinner.

(BTW: just so I don't scare anyone; this is during an advanced class, so don't think that a beginner would be expected to do this).

13. MichaelV

MichaelV New Member

^ - that sounds fun. :D :woo:

14. Indestructible

Indestructible New Member

get a bucket

Howdy Brown Flow,
    If you know Shifu Guerrero (younger of the two) from Stockton ask him about puking! :D Da Shifu Sr. was running his brown belt test and putting him through the Mass Attack again and again when all of a sudden he breaks for the door and is in the gutter blowing chunks. As he finished and comes running back inside Da Shifu looks over at Shun Shifu and says " get a bucket". Thankfully, the bucket wasn't needed and Shifu G got his brown.

15. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Absolutely.... all the time I train that is my goal. But not to "puke"

.... oh same here, you learn to live with that. Oh you mean after training!!:D ... silly me!;)

16. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

Brown Flow and Indy,

I feel that way after a Physical Fitness Test for the army, when i train for the test too. I remember going for my blue, Shifu Jones had me run every technique he asked me to do on both sides full speed then katas regular speed. I thought i was done standing in horse stance he tells me to go to the bag. 1min bag work then he says no not good enough try again 1 min full speed non stop. puking i thought would be a great thing at that point.

I like that feeling of almost puking, I feel i means that i have pushed my body to a limit it had not been to before. then the next time i can actually pass that limit and set a new standard.

Salute,

SS Blue

17. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Pain is weakness leaving the body and vomit is, er... food and bile leaving the body.

Hope that helps :)

Rgds,
    David

18. KungFuJoe

KungFuJoe New Member

In my Kung Fu classes the pre training warm up alone gets you to puke level. :eek:

19. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

All I can say today is I'm glad I didn't have a big meal before last night's class -- would definitely have been puke city. Think I burned at least a thousand calories (and got hit on just about every part of my body).

20. bprep03

bprep03 New Member

yeah i know how that feels going fast on every thing it dose take alot of endurence..soon i have to do all the techniques fast right brown flow..