Training Routine

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Allers, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Allers

Allers tricking, kicking

Hi!

I wanted to ask whether my current training routine is beneficial, or if I could improve it in some way? Here's what I currently do:
    1. Light jog/jumping on the spot, followed by knee-shoulder touches, and then a bit more jogging.
    2. Kicking drills at full speed; 30 side kicks, 50 turning kicks, 20 axe kicks.
    3. I do press-ups, sit-ups and various stomach and back exercises. (This is a part which I know is fine.) followed by leg exercises such as standing squats, lunges and leg raises.
    4. Balance training by holding much leg by the knee in side kick, knee-shoulder and turning kick positions (this also stretches.)
    5. Stretches;
    - sitting down, one leg in, other leg forward, body forward to reach towards toes. I can do this to the extent where my body is flat on my leg without pain, so I feel I am not improving from this?
    - sitting down, both legs out as far as they can go then reaching for my toes, as above, and similarly I can go flat onto my leg.
    - sitting up, back straight, feet meeting together, pushing knees down to make them touch the ground.
    - front and side splits - I can do a front split with a little bit of pain, but just the normal amount for a stretch, and side splits I get maybe 4" from the ground.

So my main questions are;
    - what is/should I consider "isometric training?"
    - is this a good routine?

2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Your routine looks like a mishmash of things with no direction.

For us to help you you need to answer a few questions:

1. What are your goals
    2. How much time do you have to train
    3. What equipment do you have access to
    4. Do you have any injuries (past or present) that you need to be careful about.
    5. Do you train in martial arts and if so how often and does your class include strength/stamina training

3. liero

liero Valued Member

Sounds like a basic at home session for a Taekwondoin. But as frodo said, It's too mashed up.
    Let us know what your training for and your goals and we can help you put together something more specific

4. Allers

Allers tricking, kicking

Yup, sorry I forgot to mention, I train taekwondo.
    And that's the way I feel too- but its just an mix of things we do at training.
    I guess that my goals are to increase the height, flexibility and reach of my kicks. I have about two hours a night in which I can train, but I'd prefer not to train on taekowndo days. I do two and a half hours on wednesday, a one hour session of sparring only on friday which is pretty exhausting and then two hours on a sunday.

I have a BOB, however, I can't use it for at least 3 months: I can't use it inside because there isn't enough room, and therefore I have to wait until it's warm enough in the spring. I also have some weights and there's a cross trainer which i have access to.

I injured my knee during a session in october 2011, and although it has healed, at times it can feel a bit weaker and a bit of pain when I put pressure on it. It's good most of the time, though.

5. liero

liero Valued Member

Allright, thats good info to start with.

How long have you been training? Are you trying to improve your kicks for Poomsae, Sparring or just general training improvement?

Generally speaking the goal is to gradually increase the amount of training you are doing so that it moves towards once a day (with a rest day) and then to more after that, if desired. You can up the intensity or frequency (more than one session per day) as your body adapts to the load

The major problem with your current workout is that there is no structure to your routines. Your just kind of throwing everything together. This works for a while if you are a beginner because everything develops quickly- but you can only reach a certain level.

Possible options right now that I can see are the following, let me know what you think best suits you- or that you would like to do, and we can piece together a routine. I dont want to dish out advice and then you have different aims. If any of this sounds like something you want to do, tell me and we can help you. Some of the options would be better answered by other forum members though.

1) Train more at Dojang. Increasing technical ability is best done under the guidance of your coach. Do you have extra training options available
    2) Find a training partner. When lacking extra sessions can you do it with others?
    3) Break apart your training sessions, for example work on technical kicking 2 days, flexibility and strength 2 days and fitness 1-2 days
    4) Get a gym membership. And start a serious strength and conditioning program, the benefits will be good for your goals, but a roundabout way of doing it...Alternatively you could do S&C using bodyweight and running etc but you already mentioned weather being an issue.
    5) Conduct solo skills training sessions- Maybe we can help you work out better training plan than what your currently using.
    6) Full periodisation for 12 months. Look at your goals and when you want to achieve them, once your set on what your aiming for then its easier to break down the exact way to achieve them.

6. Allers

Allers tricking, kicking

Well, I've been training for two years, more or less. I'm already doing all the extra options available, there's also a monday fitness session I was invited to, but I unfortunately can't make it.

The main thing to improve for me is my sparring kicks, just so that I'm more effective at those. I guess I just want to think of a training routine that will benefit me more. As you said, it worked well as a beginner but I have been feeling plateaued for a long time now, the only thing which seems to benefit a little bit is the stretching.

I guess I would just prefer something I could easily do at home in the evenings.

I think the last option would suit me best? But how should I go about that?

7. liero

liero Valued Member

well for starters.

When are your gradings, are you planning any competitions this year? any other important events on your calendar?

8. Allers

Allers tricking, kicking

Well, I grade every June and December. I have tournaments that I know of at the end of January, and at the beginning of February and probably about 2 more throughout May, and then some in the last months of 2012.