Training Routine Critique

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by brownie710, Nov 1, 2012.

1. brownie710

brownie710 New Member

any thoughts would be great, thanks
    Stats-
    33 years old
    5'8" 165 lbs
    Goal is to increase endurance/conditioning and incorporate forms/kata practice as my next exam is about 4 weeks away. I would also like to maintain my existing muscle mass.
    Some of the exercises are from PT as I tore cartilage in my hip in July

Monday-
    5 min run to warm up
    light stretches
    10 pullups then 5 sets of pullups at 5 reps with a 25 lb weight plate on belt
    Planks/Side Planks in between pullup sets
    10 reps bench at 140 then 5x5 at 180
    lunges 2 sets of 20 while grasping two 15 lb dumbbells by the head
    Bird Dogs (same side holding for 1 minute each)
    1 leg kettle bell dead lift (20 lbs) while standing on foam pad for instability
    Chops/swings each side (30/40 lbs respectively) 1 x15 each
    Physio ball Mt Climbers]
    Stretches

Tues-
    2.5 hours martial arts class

Wed-
    12 minutes battle rope circuit
    Kata work four Katas done twice each
    3 two minute rounds on heavy bag

Thurs-

2.5 hours martial arts class

Friday-
    Same as Monday but body weight only regarding:
    pullups- 12,10,8,6
    Pushups- 50, 30 15,15

Saturday
    - Rest

Sunday-
    Full test practice: Forms, Kata, solo self defense motion study, 3 step, and heavy bag to mimic sparring portion of test.

Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.
    Brownie

2. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Do you have any goal such as which skill that you want to develop in the next 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, ...? Without such plan, it's very easy to get lost in your training path.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  3. brownie710

brownie710 New Member

The skills I need to develop are broad and based on my exam material. I'm trying to find the balance between actual training of forms and kata and endurance/conditioning as our tests can be long and are essentially a test of our will once we hit the wall as much as they are of our technique. I agree, it can be easy to get lost in training and then not be prepared for what I'm actually training for.

4. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

It takes 6 months to develop a good punch, kick, lock, or throw. It's better to develop 1 after another instead of all at the same time. My teacher had forced me to spend 6 months to develop "single leg". In that 6 months, during sparring/wrestling, I was not allowed to use any other technique besides "single leg". 6 months later he then asked me to use my single leg to set up another move. The root of my tree then started to branch out.

I had used my "single leg" to take down 7 guys in a roll in tournament. To spend 6 months and develop just one technique works very well for me. IMO, if you try to work on everything, you may end with nothing.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012