Training rounds for self defence

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by jorvik, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

How can Jesus Christ be offensive? He's so mild-mannered.

2. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

^ Matthew 21:1-12-13

:p

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

That same passage came up on another thread, and if somebody came into my house and opened a market, I'd be ****ed too.

4. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Using his name in vain could be from a certain Christians point of views.

(Not that I was offended)

5. Epitome

Epitome Banned Banned

I agree boxing one session a week has only improved my krav maga.

6. altc

altc Valued Member

One way of using Bob a little more 'completely' for self defence is to start in a stance and posture such a non aggressive stance with hands up and open facing Bob. Bob is telling you that you were staring at his girlfriend. Bob is ****ed. You stand there and try to diffuse the situation. Speak out loud. Get used to what you will say. Imagine what Bob may say in return, and so on and so on.

That is one likely scenario. use others. Bob can be ****ed at you for any number of reasons. Practise speaking and de-escalating.

Now, the next step. Spend some time considering the cues where you now must strike out. Think your own safety but also think legally. Is it when Bob 'steps forward' and seems about to strike? This also feeds back to what you were saying to Bob and what Bob said back to you. Consider what onlookers will think of the encounter. Have been trying your hardest to avoid it going physical? Has Bob given you no chance? Could you not leave?

And also, be very careful of programming yourself to let loose with a flurry of punches. I know it is good for conditioning and thats cool. But as the OP was talking self defence, also mix in some scenario training with Bob too. Bob can be a very useful tool. A prize a-hole hehe.

7. SteveBioletti

SteveBioletti Valued Member

Train to attack the most vulnerable parts of the body, forget striking to the torso, if you using Bob then train to strike the jaw line, side of neck, temple, point of the chin, ears and eyes!
    Alter the distance between you and bob from really close up to almost an arms length away, forget striking from any fighting type stances, unless you are ambushed then a real fight will start from a conversation, so make sure ALL your strikes are non-telegraphed from an interview stance some others refer to this as the shield or fence.
    Train to be the first one to hit, remember lead with speed and follow with power, learn to place a full barrage of strikes in dont rely on just a couple, train hard, train aggresively

8. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

The problem with this is that a "live" bob is training the same way which could be opposite you in a real situation