Training rounds for self defence

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by jorvik, Nov 5, 2011.

1. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

I wouldn't say you should focus on a set time? Obviously in a DEFENCE situation (people here now seem to be talking about "Fighting" which are two seperate things) you obviously want to be able to get away as soon as possible, but you just don't know how long it will take until you are able. Could take 2 seconds could take 30 seconds or 2 minutes - Could be stranding up striking each other, could be wrestling against a wall standing up, could be someone who has jumped on you and dragged you down to the floor by the head / neck.

Just punching Bob isn't going to be that great. If you can, arrange for some "Random attack" type training, were 2 or 3 people take it in turn to come at you, some punching, some going for a take down, some standing wrestling and so on.

If not and you are insistent on just smacking poor bob, then I would be going for 2 minutes flat out if you can do that, that should enable you to survive almost all confrontations from a stamina and muscular endurance point of view and still leave you with enough in you to leg it.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  2. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

My apologies for my ignorance gentlemen.

Interesting. I may need to give this book a read/review on Amazon. It'll probably take me a year to get to with my growing reading list though. *sigh*

Really, a few meaning three? My bad. I thought you had mentioned one in another thread and I assumed that was all there is. What the Hell is going on over in the UK that abnormally tall British girls are scrapping it so often? It's like a bad Monty Python skit over there.

Still, if we're talking about three fights, I wouldn't consider that a large enough sample size to draw on for a body of great experience on the subject. For your sake, I hope it was enough to learn to avoid those neighborhoods though.

I agree that two minutes is the upper end of 99% of fights. Most don't go that long, but when it goes all Murphy it certainly can.

3. Brixtonbodunwel

Brixtonbodunwel Valued Member

The chap I meant although no one would know him was Tim Warner who in the late 60s taught me to box. In the 1980s Lofty Wiseman the former 22 Combat Survival Expert makes reference to it and of course Geoff Thompson had his own meaning of it and reinforced it with his own experience and method. Thinking back Tim based it on the straight, cross and hook, his thing was quicker rather than harder(possibly because of my build). Although his other pointer was always have something in reserve which was stamina to go the distance. Hence although the aim was x don’t put your shirt on it!!

4. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

"Just punching Bob isn't going to be that great. If you can, arrange for some "Random attack" type training, were 2 or 3 people take it in turn to come at you, some punching, some going for a take down, some standing wrestling and so on."

Let me explain further, this is my personal training, that which I do on my own. I do train with other people as well. Let me say one thing about that though. I'm 56 and I've done MA's since I was a child. When the Goju club that I went to closed it's doors ( this is 20 years back) I looked around for another martial art and settled on Aikido, however I didn't want my karate to end so I practiced on my own. A few years later I went and trained at another karate club, and I had lost none of my sparring ability, even though I hadn't sparred in a couple of years. The thing is you have to train alone, all the best guys do, they don't need someone standing over them telling them to do their punches.and it's surprising how good you can get, or how you can maintain what you have

5. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

But its not the same as working the door for forty five years,being in the SAS or serving in a special operations unit of the Boy Scouts.

6. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

But its not the same as working the door for forty five years,being in the SAS or serving in a special operations unit of the Boy Scouts.

To be honest that's not all it's cracked up to be, I don't respect doormen/ bouncers generally, because they are bullies who like to beat down on drunken teenage kids..same as SAS .I know a guy, a relative who was in them, hard man for sure, but you know .they are not that hard when I see other people like mental nurses, paramedics.using violence is sometimes the cowards way

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

"A few fights" is absolutely nothing like being part of that S.A.S or working at a door for years. No argument from me! I didn't realize that I'm not allowed to comment because I don't pick fights :p

Where did you pull three from? And I'm not a girl, haha! :D

TBH, I've learned a lot from other people. And sound logic seems to help a lot in these situations.

8. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

Wasn't disputing that? I go to boxing less and less these days but haven't lost much due to still doing pads / bag / shadow / sparring at home

9. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

We used to call it BullDogging

10. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

I wasn't being serious.It was sarcasm aimed at this "industry" which seems to think that the only people who know anything about fighting are those who have worked the doors or been in special forces.

The most effective street fighter I know is a seventy two year old bloke who is built like a tank and is an ex-army heavyweight boxing champion.If you want to defend yourself effectively take up boxing and wrestling and forget all about the special forces crap.

11. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Ah I'm totally sorry man, that was my fault, I was just in a different mind-set :p

Although I can look at it and laugh now :p

12. 47MartialMan

I knew a "Special Force" Ranger got "Rang" by a "Special Force" bottle in a pub. This is "Special Forces" at its best

13. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

There is no one out there studying anything, at any level that cannot benefit from regular boxing training, it is the humans primary "attack" or "defence" imo

14. 47MartialMan

I don't quite understand..."in other words...."

15. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

hmm, maybe I was wrong to use the apostrophes then you grammar nazi ;)

I just didn't want to say that a punch is definitely a humans primary attack as I don't know that for certain.

16. 47MartialMan

A punch "seems" to be a primary attack...at least from the very first initial response whenever humans fight. Trained or not, "it seems", people will use the fists, first from a natural response. When this fails, they go to "Plan B", "Plan C", "Plan D"

(Grammar Nazi...this could almost be a insult)

17. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

Jesus Christ could you be any more Self-righteous and Snobbish?

Not going to get into an argument over me using apostrophise so nighty nighty ;)

18. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I'd say this varies on intent. Do you want to just humiliate them, attack them, or actually try to kill them? Punching, kicking, choking, biting, and wrestling seem to be the standards. Watch any untrained person fight for real and you'll see plenty of this. None of those are very effective for the most part, hence why we humans tend to prefer weapons.

19. 47MartialMan

This could offensive as well.

20. 47MartialMan

I agree. Thanks for this extended elaboration