Training on your own + update on my status

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by STASH, Jun 16, 2002.

1. STASH

STASH New Member

Well its been a couple months since my initial punishment. My instructor still disrespects me and I dont think I'll be going back there any time soon. Anyways the guy that wanted to take me in turned out to be a total jackass and he runs more of a "family" program, I cant really benefit from that (if you have no idea what I'm talking about but you want to post then you can take a look at a topic called "I got my blackbelt taken away").

All of this time I have been training on my own and I must say, I've been improving a lot, even without any one guiding me. I'm going at my own pace and I'm doing what I like, no boring tae guks (kattas, patterns, whatever you want to call them). Also 3 times a week my friends come over and we do both sparring and reality training. My friends all take different styles and everytime we learn more and more from each other. We've really learned to be open minded and we've been mixing our styles and technics.

It has now gotten to the point where I question the importance of an instructor. I'm happier like this and I'm improving faster this way, so are my friends. Many of them are considering leaving their schools and just doing this everyday. I know that I will never learn everything there is too learn and everyone is still a learner no matter how good they are but I really dont feel the need for an instructor anymore. In this situation we are all instructors, by combining our styles we can only get better. What do you guys think?

2. mmafiter

mmafiter New Member

I think what you are doing is fine, but you will become stagnant at a certain level. Also, depending on your level, you might not know the intracacies of what you are doing. I've seen "self taught" guys come into our club trying to pull off basic techniques and they were all wrong and they couldn't figure out why the techniques weren't working.:rolleyes:

Finally, you said "In this situation we are all instructors". This statement gives me pause. When you call yourself an "instructor" I'm led to believe you might decide to start teaching other new people. All I can say about this is; remember someday this person may actually have to rely on what you are teaching them. Are you confident and sure enough what you are teaching and how you are teaching it will help them or end up getting them hurt.:eek:

I don't beleive in the value of kata/forms either, so maybe what you really might want to look at is joining a "combative" gym such as boxing, muay thai, kickboxing, grappling, BJJ, Judo.....or whatever.

3. Silver_no2

Silver_no2 Avenging Angel

Interesting comment! I think that you should expand on that a bit more and make it a new thread. It will be interesting to see what split there is on the forum. Possibly do it as a poll (though don't ask me how :D ). Just an idea!

4. mmafiter

mmafiter New Member

ok, I'll start a new thread.

5. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

I'll be on it like a rash!