Training on my own

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Warcow, May 21, 2009.

1. Warcow

Warcow Valued Member

Hey guys, been a while since I visited MAP

As you might known, I'm pretty new to kickboxing and haven't got much training under my belt yet. Until I return to Hamilton in two months time, I don't have any resources or set time for training in a class setting due to travelling and a few other complications.

However, I do have access to a pretty decent dojang with padded floor and a couple of heavy bags and a speed bag at the local YMCA which I work/volunteer at. I've been trying to train whenever I can, but I don't just want to hit the bags all the time. Yet, without a good instructor to guide me, I'm not certain my techniques will stay correct.

Anyone with experience / tips for training on your own?

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  2. liero

liero Valued Member

Practise your form in front of a mirror by shadow boxing/kicking, this will allow you to watch your own technique and pick up any issues.

Alternativley you could ask a friend who does Martial arts to train with you and pick anything up.

If neither of those are an option you could film your form on a bag or something and post it here so others could help you.

If none of that appeals to you use the time before you go back to instructor training to work on your fitness and conditioning.

one more thing. If the YMCA has a gym and all the equipment, surely they have a proper coach whom can guide you?

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Working on your flexibility before you return to Hamilton will improve your rate of progression when you finally get back to the kickboxing gym, as will training cardio & strength. Other than that I'd leave out technique training, as at this stage bad habits form easily.

4. Warcow

Warcow Valued Member

Thanks guys,

@ liero
    yeah, there is a taekwondo program I've somewhat looked into, it's quite a bit too children-oriented for me, and the time of the program is very restricting

there's a few accomplished martial artists that comes through and train on their own, and I've talked to some of them and they've given me some pointers, but it's hard to say who comes in when since everyone's schedule is chaotic. Rest of the guys that comes through just wants to hit something for the sake of it or try to throw a flying sidekick and end up running into the wall (true story) :p

@ Superfoot
    I've suspected technique training might not to my best benefit. I've read your "Beginners' Guide to Flexibility" sticky, do you have any recommendations for strength, flexibility, and cardio training?

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Strength - depends on your goals. Do you want power, increase muscle mass, etc?

Flexibility - I would definitely advise you to start isometric stretches asap. Are you comfortable with how to do them?

Cardio - running is always a plus. Aim for 3 miles 3 times a week, getting your run time down to 22 minutes or less. Later on, you can increase the distance.