Training log of a Martial Arts journeyman

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by ThaiNinja, Sep 16, 2011.

1. ThaiNinja

ThaiNinja Valued Member

Hello MAPers

Well I have decided to start this log after reading a few others like Master Bettys recently, my main hope for this is that it will help me to maintain my training, recently i havent been doing much at all due to work and illness, so hoping to start back in few days.

A bit about me, 27 years old, 5ft 6, weight approx 66kg. Previous training, started a good few years ago with TKD, got to green belt enjoyed it but due to other commitments at the time had to give it up. Then for 2 years until christmas did a hybrid system called mixed combat systems, which i enjoyed, however the gym moved so again i gave that up. dabbled in ninjutsu however again a mixture of work and injury mean i never really got into it.

For a while now i have been training in muay thai, and have just started BJJ. I have also been attending a Dogbrothers class. My problem has been regular attendance, as i said a mixture of working shifts and illness/injury have restricted this recently.

My goals, my goals through martial arts are to get as good as possible at them (fairly obvious i know), but hopefully to a level where i can compete, more so Muay Thai and BJJ, and also for my own self defence. Another goal is to increase my fitness levels as much as i can. I hope this log helps me to make more of an effort to get my ass to training, whether it be a class or just something like roadwork then a circuit, but will also help me look back over my progress, or lack thereof. For general fitness i tend to do circuits and bagwork (i have a punchbag, floor to ceiling ball and part of my floor is matted) in my garage, and go out running. Ill also post my diet as much as possible (should be amusing).

Please feel free to offer any advice, criticism etc as ill take it all on board, and thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read it.

Yours in Martial Arts
    Jim

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Excellent, look forward to reading your forthcoming posts.

3. ThaiNinja

ThaiNinja Valued Member

Training resumes tomorrow, in between watching rangers hump celtic today i created a new workout playlist that i thought i would share, it is as follows,
    Staind - Believe,
    Eminem ft Rhianna - Love the Way you lie,
    Salif Keita - Tomorrow,
    Two Steps from Hell - Heart of Courage,
    Chimpmunk ft Chris Brown - Champion,
    Linkin Park ft JayZ - Numb/Encore,
    Last of the Mohicans - Promentory,
    P Diddy ft Skylar Gray - coming home,
    Survivor - Eye of the Tiger,
    Eminem - Not Afraid,
    Inception - Time,
    Kasabian - Club Foot,
    Ian Brown - Stellify,
    Kanye West - Stronger,
    Robert Tepper - No Easy Way Out,
    Rocky Orchestra - Gonna Fly Now,
    The Verve - Bitter Sweet Symphony,
    WWE anthology - Real American,
    Guns N Roses - You Could Be Mine.

Dont know what tomorrows training will involve yet, still to decide, not been able to exercise at all for the past few weeks so im thinking a workout in my garage might be the best idea.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  4. ThaiNinja

ThaiNinja Valued Member

First workout in 3 weeks today,still not feeling 100% but went for it anyway.

Did 3 x 4 min rounds of skipping,2 x 3 minute rounds of shadow boxing,then 4 x 3 minute rounds on the bag&4 x 3 minute rounds on the floor to ceiling ball.finished with a circuit,10 exercises doing each one twice,then moving onto the next.35 seconds then 10 seconds rest. Exercises as follows
    Press ups
    Crunches
    Squats with 6kg medicine ball
    Medicine ball at chest height out to arms length then back into chest
    Burpee with press ups and jump part with medicine ball
    Russian twists with medicine ball
    Lunges
    Bicep curls with 10kg dumbbells
    Plank
    Same burpees again
    Goal with the circuit is to do as many reps as possible so not sure of my exact reps.
    Diet nonsense today,starting with that tomorrow.

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I'm tired just reading that! :)

6. ThaiNinja

ThaiNinja Valued Member

Haha I know I go on a bit don't I,need to streamline a bit in future.

7. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

The trick is to have a written routine so you know what you want to achieve each session. That being said, I'm very good at having a consistent plan for weight lifting but much less good at knowing what I'm going to do on conditioning days - I usually decide that based on the weather and what else I've been up to that day/week.

8. ThaiNinja

ThaiNinja Valued Member

5km run today,new tracklist helps. Diet today,3 weetabix for brekie,banana mid morning.chicken&salad baguette with lentil soup for lunch.salmon with a packet of steamed veg for dinner.3 black coffees&water through the day.(also a few bits of a giant cookie I was bought the other day). Any qs or advice please give,cheers for reading

9. ThaiNinja

ThaiNinja Valued Member

Started to read drill to win,12 months to better bjj by Andre galvao,heard it's a decent instructional.no training today.

10. ThaiNinja

ThaiNinja Valued Member

Same workout as Monday this morning,knackered but really enjoyed it.back to classes next week,superb.oh and rangers won 4-0!!

11. ThaiNinja

ThaiNinja Valued Member

UFC 135 whoop whoop

12. ThaiNinja

ThaiNinja Valued Member

Did the same skipping,bagwork workout with a circuit at the end,finally getting better after my virus,no bjj tomorrow sadly as I don't have my car,damn.

13. ThaiNinja

ThaiNinja Valued Member

Went running today,think I did about 2.5 miles.timed myself for the first time,19.51 secs.will try to work out an accurate distance as want to keep timing myself,definately think it helps motivation during the run.

14. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Good time.

15. ThaiNinja

ThaiNinja Valued Member

Thanks mate,was surprised at the time,hence why I want to clarify the exact distance.have been doing that route for years

16. ThaiNinja

ThaiNinja Valued Member

Well I have another mouth infection so training on the backburner for a few days,just carrying on reading then get back to it Thursday or Friday.think I'll be getting another wisdom tooth out,ouch.

17. ThaiNinja

ThaiNinja Valued Member

Feeling loads better after anti biotics for my mouth infection.did the same run as the other day,19 mins 37 secs.

18. ThaiNinja

ThaiNinja Valued Member

Awesome s&c workout at superhero fitness gym in Glasgow this morning, 3 x 5 minute circuits,3 exercises per circuit.20 secs then 10 rest. Then 2 x 5 minute circuit of continuous work.finished with some core work.circuit exercises were things like press ups,box jumps,sledge hammer on tractor tyre,tyre flips,kettlebell swings. Might do some bagwork in the garage later.

19. ThaiNinja

ThaiNinja Valued Member

Another awesome strength and conditioning session at Superhero fitness today, havent done much else due to work this week. Letting my dinner digest then might do some bagwork in a bit. Heading to NYC next friday for 5 nights so leaving my return to martial arts till i come back incase i get injured or something (once dislocated my shoulder the night before moving house which went down well with the mrs :argue: ).

20. ThaiNinja

ThaiNinja Valued Member

Similar garage workout today,skipping bagwork,floor to ceiling ball,finished off with a circuit to keep me ticking over until I get back to my classes.going to either do the same again tomorrow or go for a run,or if I feel really energetic possibly both!