Training Intensity

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by FortuneFaded, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

I think that this may simply be a difference in interpretation of the term "intensity." I consider, in the context of this thread, intensity to refer specifically to the demands placed on the cardiovascular system. In which case learning something new will not place great demands on the body, being more a matter of neuro-muscular pathways.

I also acknowledged that I was making a massive generalization, so obviously there are going to be exceptions.

As for missing out, there are far more efficient ways to get fit than doing MA. If getting fit was my primary concern, I would be doing one of them instead of MA (and more to the point, most martial artists supplement their training with aerobic/ weight training anyway).
    Your remark implies that if a MA is low intensity, then it is not worth doing. Does this mean you think aikido and Tai Chi Chuan are worthless?

Perhaps we should just agree to disagree;)

2. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Aha so you have misinterpreted FortuneFaded's question on intensity. Since he is a beginner in both (Judo and Kickboxing), isn't it more correct to take his question on this context: the overall physical demands of training in Judo and Kicboxing?

And yes there are other ways of getting fit than MA (maybe better or otherwise), but our discussion is on the intensity of Kickboxing to other TMA's. It is also a bad assumption that I consider aikido and Tai Chi worthless (although there are senseis out there who make the practice of it worthless). It is also my position that the intensity of practice of a MA depends largely on the instructor. Besides where in my post did I imply that if an MA is of or on low intensity it is not worth practicing?

Agree to disagree? Have you run out of arguments?

Perhaps this is best for another thread. :cool:

3. FortuneFaded

FortuneFaded Feel my Squirrely wrath!

Hey what i ment by Intensity was how much exercise and effort is involved, let me explain.

As i said i'm classed as Unfit and well my judo lessons are somewhat easy going, we only have an hour so we don't always get alot of mat time and there is always time to rest, i.e watching someone else on the mat, note i say mat, as we only have one set of mats to fight on so only two people can go at a time.

For kickboxing, i know its a big club i'd be going to and well i think i'd have to excert myself alot more to keep up (not a bad thing, just a hard thing), apart from that, sparring and practicing will take prolly alot out of me.

By intensity, i ment the amount of work i would have to do to keep up with my class, i.e Beginers. So in judo it isn't to bad at the moment, though mat work is tiring XD

4. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

aml01 ph - you suggested that I was going to a mcdojo because I commented that TMA was less intense than kickboxing. This implied to me that you think low intensity MA was not as worthwhile as high intensity MA.
    Kickboxing is a sports based MA and as such generally places a higher emphasis on fitness than most TMA.
    But I agree with you completely - it is the instructor that sets the intensity of the class.

Fortune Faded - sorry to get you caught up in the middle by offering an honest opinion but I will offer another one anyway - try out kickboxing as well as judo. At the end of the day, it IS down to the instructor, so you may get an easygoing guy who lets you do things at your own pace, or a maniac who works you harder than you've ever worked before. Either way, even if you cannot keep up to start with you will soon gain enough fitness to meet the demands placed on you. And apart from anything else it is good practice to know some striking as well as some grappling.

5. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Shaolin Dragon: The remark I made about the mcdojos was made because of your generalization of TMA's being of low intensity than kickboxing. Also, just because a martial art has become sport-based does not mean that TMA's based on self-defense are of low intensity. A good example of this would be traditional and sport taekwondo. They work at about the same intensities.

FortuneFaded: If you are considering a membership to the kickboxing club yo mentioned, I advise you to be ready. From what you mention in your workouts in Judo, I don't think you're ready for another MA. Try making oppurtunities for you to practice. Devote less time to watching and start doing.

6. marcusknight

marcusknight Valued Member

shaolin dragon, i was wondering are you american, its just that you say kickboxing is more of a sport and limited in moves. but that might just be america, in britain our training is very street worthy and although we do concentrate on simpler moves, because that is generally what you do i n street fight, we do do other harder moves and in my club we also use weapons. i have also noticed that in america you seem to train far less vigorusly than over here in britain, that is a bit of a generalisation i know, but there does appear to be a big difference between america and britain. id might be beacuse weapons cant be carried on the streets in britain so kickboxing and martial arts are more effective over here than in america.
    also, earlier i cant remeber who it was, but they said they do 50 regular pressups for the warmup, that is just one set of regular pressups isnt it, not actually just 50 then do the next exercise.
    also in america, in most clubs are you alowed to stop moveing during ur lesson?
    this reply is purely on curiousity, if u find nething offensive please ignore it, i dont mean to bring down american martialartists or offend anyone. my views are generalised at the moment.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2004