Training in the Philippines?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by adamsr1718, Sep 10, 2014.

1. adamsr1718

adamsr1718 New Member

Hi, im completely new to FMA and have no training at all but i would like to start and i figured best place to learn would be in its birthplace.

So here is my question, is there a place in the Philippines i could go to train Eskrima for a lengthy period such as a year or two without spending a life savings?

2. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

That is pretty much like asking how many stars in the universe.. You need to do some research to see what system or group offers what you are looking for in a FMA system.. After 40 yrs as an instructor of the FMA, I still go back at least once a year to get updated training with the groups that I am affiliated with..

Do some home work and try to figure out what exactly what you are looking for as far as training..

3. adamsr1718

adamsr1718 New Member

From what reading i've done and video's i've watched i'm interested in Doce Pares

4. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

Then I would suggest that you get a hold of Pat O'Malley as he has contacts in the doce pares community in cebu.. He was the european president of the Doce Pares association a few years ago.. You can find him by looking for rapid arnis in the UK.. He is not hard to find..

Who are you training with now in Doce Pares? My contacts in the Philippines do not involve the DP guys, but I'm sure that Pat can help you if you contact him..

5. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Do you have an martial arts training? I'm a bit confused by your opening sentence (It's only 10 am).

Why don't you have a dabble in Doce Pares (and other FMA systems) before you decide to go out to the PI and train there?

You never know, you might not like it. Or you might find that Doce Pares isn't your thing but Balintawak or whatever is.

You could save yourself a whole lot of time and trouble.

6. adamsr1718

adamsr1718 New Member

i have no training in any martial arts.

Lily, i've thought of doing that, trying out different styles, but there is no where within a 4 1/2 hour drive for me to start training in any FMA system.

7. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Where are you based? The North Pole? ;)

If you're ok with telling us where you are based, someone might be able to help you out.

Is there no seminars happening you could attend? It could be a good way of being introduced to the art, especially if it's a whole bunch of FMA clubs doing short sessions. 4 1/2 hours is a lot easier than moving to another country.

8. adamsr1718

adamsr1718 New Member

Im based in northern Missouri with no larger cities around.

There is a seminar in 3 days about 8 hours away im planning on going to.

And yes moving 4 1/2 hours compared to halfway around the world is alot easier but training isnt the only reason i wish to go. i want to learn more of the culture and experience it first hand. I visited when i was about 12 and even being so young it was an amazing experience.

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

So what is it about Doce Pares that has you intrigued?

That's the only style in which I'm formally ranked myself. So I'm curious. Though I studied here in the States. Regrettably never made it to the PI.

10. adamsr1718

adamsr1718 New Member

This may sound dumb or maybe its just because im new to fma but the style seems more fluid than others. Like the movements flow together like a dance. Not just different combinations stung together but a flowing work of art really...

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Not dumb at all. I would say that ANY FMA performed properly would look fluid. It's just a question of finding good examples. That said, DP is a broadly established and organized style so is relatively easy to find (understanding that NO FMA is especially easy to find stateside).

12. tim_stl

tim_stl Valued Member

I find that hard to believe, unless you drive a tractor. What town are you in?

Tim

13. rbooth82

rbooth82 New Member

Hi all, just joined here, really hoping to find somewhere in the Philippines (preferably) where I could train in Pekiti Tirsia. Saw this thread and, while I don't want to 'hijack' it, I also saw no point in effectively duplicating the thread.

If anyone could provide any contacts for PKT training in the Philippines, I'd be really grateful. I'd also consider training elsewhere in the world, if need be, and there are any good recommendations.

cheers.

14. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I'm living here in the Philippines at the moment (Central Visayas region). I'll have an ask around and see what I can come up with. :)