Training in many arts?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by bum-eyes, May 4, 2005.

1. bum-eyes

bum-eyes Sorry about your dog.

I'm planning to start training in MA in a few months, and I want to train in as many arts as possible, focussing no kempo as a main art.
    Then, by way of 'eating the meat and spitting out the bones', I hope to develop my own unique(and hopefully superior) combat style.

I want to know if this is a good idea, or if I'm just going to get confused or something.

Oh, and the main reason I want to train in MA so I can get really kick-****, not particularily for spiritual enlightenment, competition, or self defense on the street. It may be vain but it's true - I just want to be another Bruce Lee.
    -In case this makes a difference.

2. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

lol. I can see what your wanting to achieve..... How long are you expecting this to take to happen? Most arts take around 3-5 years to perfect, at a minimum..... and if you take more tahn 2 or 3 at a time, you will get very confused. A lot of people say MMA is the route if your only wanting to kick ass. In this case, I'd tend to agree.

3. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

I would suggest starting with one at first.

Once you get familiar with it and gain a degree of competancy,then try starting another and take it from there.

Worked for me is all I can say!

4. bum-eyes

Time is no object. I am very serious about this and willing to reorganize most of my life to facilitate some full-time training.

When you say 3-5 years, around how many hours a week do you have in mind?

When you started training in another art, did you maintain the amount of training you were doin with the one you started on?

The MAs I most want to learn on top of kempo are tai chi, bagua, tsing yi, brazillian jujitsu, aikido and maybe capeiora.
    I also want to attend some lessons in gymnastics.

5. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

2-3 days training a week would be around 3-5 years. If you train 7 days, its gonna be shorter, but also possibly more expensive.....

6. Trinity

Trinity New Member

Master one first then become a jack of all trades in the others.

Over all it is better to know a little about a lot than a lot about a little

7. bum-eyes

My ultimate goal is to know a lot about a lot. Sure it's never been achieved by anyone before(to my knowledge), but that's why I have to do it.

So, how good should I get at kempo before I start learning something else?

8. Trinity

Trinity New Member

I would say master it first its a good base, then build on it.

9. bum-eyes

Um, I'm kinda confused here. When you say 'master it', do you mean to train until I have learned all there is, or to obtain a black belt?

10. KevinK37

KevinK37 Valued Member

Well, I can tell you that a BB in Aikido means that you know the basics, basically. That usually takes anywhere from 4-7 years with some pretty steady training. I'm not sure about this one, but if you want to 'Master' Aikido, tack on another 15-20 years.

11. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

once you discard all of the garbage you will probably have something that looks like mma with good striking. assuming you are only practicing empty hand arts.

12. bum-eyes

I will most certainly will not be only practising empty hand arts. I love weapons, especially the more exotic of the chinese weapons, like crescent swords(I think that's what they're called) and those cool polearms.

Last edited: May 5, 2005
  13. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

you dont need to do a whole bunch of arts. in fact doing a whole lot will only ned up confusing you as the different stances, punching methods etc will clash. When you move here I can direct you to a good MMA or muay thai gym. I am going to be flat out straight with you here and say that the quality of kenpo here in new zealand, or at least in these parts, is crap.

oh and if you dont mind getting up early they teach judo at the university from 7am to 9am for free. they also teach BJJ on friday, I will try and find the timetable for it.

14. bum-eyes

Kempo in Auckland, crap? Ah pooee.

Hmm, getting up early is pretty damn tricky for me, but I'm allways ready to go out of my way for some nice free stuff.

Thanks Ikken.

15. Lekta

Lekta Super-Valued Power Member

"I would be more afraid of someone who practiced 1 technique 1,000 times then someone who practiced 1,000 techniques 1 time."
    -(No idea who wrote it, got it off a MAP member here and thought it would help explain some stuff)

After most people see a movie by a famous star such as Bruce Lee, everyone wants to go to a local Dojo and kick someones @$$. But masters at MA's and even Bruce Lee knew that to be a Master, one must accept the fact that they would never be able to master martial arts. As simple as that seems, it is more than just saying it. Even more than just feeling it, you have to believe it, but not from your head, but from your heart.

Few people reach this stage, but the few who have are wise and old. They are as likely to avoid conflict at this stage than to show off. But one however can never master a MA. You can never become a "true master", no one can."

As to why you are more likely to die or quit a month or year into our training.

Don't take it personal, I have met many people like you who have thought that by going to a Dojo for a few years they can become the next Bruce Lee. It's not that simple.

Let's say you start out with the one base martial art you want. After a month
    or so you feel like you can go into the streets and beat up some people. This is where people with your attitude about MA die or become hospitalized. You might then blame your school and switch to a new one, with the same result.

Conclusion:

If you have noticed anything about MA movies you should look at the actors, not their moves. They are always calm under pressure, they never pick fights(this is really important), and they are still alive because they were friendly and kept their cool.

This is another reason why Hollywood has truely messed up the whole society and credibility of all Martial Arts.

Last edited: May 12, 2005
  16. bum-eyes

I never thought I could become a master after training for only a short time. I intend to be training for the rest of my life.

I know I can never be the perfect fighter - and I won't try to be. My goal now is to be a better person everyday than I was the day before. This means that everyday I now try to get a little smarter, a little stronger, and a little wiser.

Thankyou Lekta. You just helped me a lot with the wisdom part.

17. MDN

MDN Banned Banned

If you have noticed anything about MA movies you should look at the actors, not their moves. They are always calm under pressure, they never pick fights(this is really important), and they are still alive because they were friendly and kept their cool.

No the acters live because they have huge weapon carrying body guards.

as for the thread starter: You are trying to take on to big of a task.

As I say, If you get good at on thing, you'll get good at 8 things. Or as my former sensei said. Strive to be excellent at a few things and to get good at everything.

18. Lekta

Lekta Super-Valued Power Member

Well where were they when Bruce Lee died! :bang:

19. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

how do you protect someone from a brain haemmorhage?(sp)

20. LiaoRouxin

LiaoRouxin Valued Member

Make sure they're not using opiates, pain killers, and make sure they have more than 1% body fat?