Training in japan

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Tudoggz, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Tudoggz

Tudoggz Valued Member

gday ppl

im planning on traveling at the end of this year, and of course the place on the top of my list is japan. oviously if i go to japan im going to want to train. and to tell u the truth im pretty **** scared lol :p

im only at 2nd kyu and dont know wat to expect from the training in japan, can anyone share there experiences of training in japan? how was the atmosphere in the dojo? is the training all so high level i wouldnt understand wat was happening? im not worried about getting hurt or anything i just dont want to look bad or like i dont deserve my rank, i know i know enuff to deserve my rank here in aus, but over there?

any experiences or help ppl could lend me would b awesom, im going to double time my training till then :D

thanx in advance
    mick

2. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

check out e-budo.com or Kutaki no mura.com, they have regular talks on training in japan.

3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

You lucky lucky person. :cool:

4. Tudoggz

Tudoggz Valued Member

ehhe thanx mate :D i been werking 7 days for a long time to get the money for this :D

also thank you for the sites ill check them out :D

cheers
    mick

5. Kalifallen

Kalifallen looking for partner

One of my friends from the UK just got back from his training over in Japan. He went with his Instructor and a couple other students. He didn't tell me much but what he did say is, Hatsumi spoke English while demostrating techniques. My friend spoke of showing bone breaking techniques. He says they feed you a lot of tofu. You don't get much free time outside of the dojo. He stayed there for 3 weeks. He said they treat you like human beings and don't care about your rank. He also said they like to hurt you a lot. In Japan it is very traditional. You will train on wooden floors with little or no padding at all. When you do demostrations they will you the same preson over and over again. So, you get hurt a lot but you're learning.
    That's all which I remember but it sounds fun.

6. K_Coffin

K_Coffin New Member

Wow. That sounds amazing. Except for the tofu. I love my sushi, but tofu doesn't fly. It does sound like the ultimate way to train though, no padding, relaxed and natural. I would love to go.

7. Tudoggz

Tudoggz Valued Member

awesom :D thanks for that :D tofu ay hhe betta get used to it :p

8. SilentNightfall

SilentNightfall Eien no Ninja

I only wish that I could have the experience to tell you what it is all like, Tudoggz. Unfortunately, my year-long Japan trip does not begin until a year from the end of this August. When you return, please let me know who all you trained with and how the training was different with each shihan. I'm particularly interested in how hard it is to consistently go to Nagato-sensei's class. He's known for being brutal a lot. Well, good luck on your journey. You'll undoubtedly learn a lot!

9. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

The first time I trained in Japan I was Ikkyu. It didn’t present a problem because the training was structured around the levels of the different kenshi. The biggest problem is not speaking Japanese, but even this is not really a problem. All my experiences with training in Japan have been good, the teachers, no matter how important they have been, have always been open, friendly, and patient.

What style do you train in? Depending on the type of art you may need a reference from you teacher.

Oh, and don’t think you will be training all the time, prepare for partying as well. Learn the term dai joki, it will be used much.

10. silentbob3887

silentbob3887 New Member

I haven't had any previous ninjitsu training but i am going to start very soon. I was hoping you or anyone else could tell me what to expect as a beginner.

11. Tudoggz

Tudoggz Valued Member

gday silent bob

welcome to map! although im rather new here im prolly not the one who should be doing welcoming lol

good to hear your starting ninjitsu i belive it is the most effective art, and teaches you how to survive not win or defeat :D this is all my opinion of course heeh

do a search about begining in ninjitsu u should come up with quite a bit!
    but as a bigginer i think you should be show basic kamae (stanses) rolling, basic strikes, sum locks and holds, how to land properly and save you body from damage (ukeme spelling? lol) and maby even sum weapons werk! it is an amazing art and make sure your instructer is qualified!!

hope this helps a lil wat i mentioned is just a fraction of wat ninjitsu is :D browse the forum for more info and good luck hope you enjoy your training :D

peace
    mick

12. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

13. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

14. mpearce

mpearce Valued Member

Ok 1st, Hatsumi Sensei doesn`t speak English while teaching apart from the odd word like "Speak" or "play", he has very limited English and quite rightly prefers to speak his own language in the Dojo, if you go to his house he wil try and use the English he knows.

This is correct Sensei will use very limited Japanese only if no one is there to translate

2nd, they only "feed" you Tofu if you ask for it!

Actually the Japanese won't feed you, you will have to go to a restaurant. And Noda has things that most places have McD. and other kind of places.

3rd, you get a lot of freetime outside the Dojo because there`s mostly only one training session per day, the exceptions are Thursday afternoon when Nagato Sensei teaches, Saturday there are between 3-4 sessions if you can get to them all, Sunday there`s two, both at the Honbu.

You should have plenty of time to even go site seeing, as most trainings are in the evening.

4th,They DON`T like to hurt you at all, that`s not what the training`s about!.

Most of the teachers and Sensei probably won't even use you. They like to use people they know so that way no one does get hurt. If they do use you it will be toned way down, because they don't know how you will move when they apply something and that being the case don't want you to break yourself on them.

5th, The only Dojo with a wooden only floor that i`m aware of is Someya Sensei`s and that`s only in the summer.

That is right most dojos have tatami mats, that is a kind of straw woven into a mat. That is why shoes are not worn in doors as it would destroy the mats very quickly.

He`s right about somethings though, they don`t care about rank at all, you are what you are and a coloured belt makes no difference what so ever, (although to some it makes a big difference).

This is also right we don't care, only Sensei will ask you what your rank is here. And that would be because he is thinking of promoting you.

Michael Pearce

Last edited: May 19, 2004
  15. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Oh Stop It!

You guys talking about this are really make me jealuos :D . Oh well, plan for next year is 4 weeks in Japan, training. I can catch a flight for free on one of our company aircraft. So, it's just a matter of enough $$ for training, food, lodging and cover the bills because I won't be working and the rent still needs to be paid. That, and the wife is going home to India for a few months...

16. SilentNightfall

SilentNightfall Eien no Ninja

What time are you thinking of going, old friend? You know that I'll be leaving for Japan myself at the end of August 2005. What a time that would be if our first meeting ended up being in Japan, of all places.

17. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Depends on my wife's plans for India, when our aircraft fly to Japan and how much $$ I can save and how fast I can save it. But, end of August would be nice to shoot for. I was looking at scheduling it around the visit of my former instructors.

18. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

Ok 1st, Hatsumi Sensei doesn`t speak English while teaching apart from the odd word like "Speak" or "play", he has very limited English and quite rightly prefers to speak his own language in the Dojo, if you go to his house he wil try and use the English he knows.

This is correct Sensei will use very limited Japanese only if no one is there to translate

2nd, they only "feed" you Tofu if you ask for it!

Actually the Japanese won't feed you, you will have to go to a restaurant. And Noda has things that most places have McD. and other kind of places.

3rd, you get a lot of freetime outside the Dojo because there`s mostly only one training session per day, the exceptions are Thursday afternoon when Nagato Sensei teaches, Saturday there are between 3-4 sessions if you can get to them all, Sunday there`s two, both at the Honbu.

You should have plenty of time to even go site seeing, as most trainings are in the evening.

4th,They DON`T like to hurt you at all, that`s not what the training`s about!.

Most of the teachers and Sensei probably won't even use you. They like to use people they know so that way no one does get hurt. If they do use you it will be toned way down, because they don't know how you will move when they apply something and that being the case don't want you to break yourself on them.

5th, The only Dojo with a wooden only floor that i`m aware of is Someya Sensei`s and that`s only in the summer.

That is right most dojos have tatami mats, that is a kind of straw woven into a mat. That is why shoes are not worn in doors as it would destroy the mats very quickly.

He`s right about somethings though, they don`t care about rank at all, you are what you are and a coloured belt makes no difference what so ever, (although to some it makes a big difference).

This is also right we don't care, only Sensei will ask you what your rank is here. And that would be because he is thinking of promoting you.

Michael Pearce

I thought i just said all that!!, Thanks Mike, by the sounds of it you live there, lucky you, if you`re still there in September i`ll see you then, look for the bald Gaijin. :cool:

Regards

Norman

Last edited: May 19, 2004
  19. mpearce

mpearce Valued Member

I look forward to seeing you then. I will be the guy Sensei beats up on Sundays.

Michael

20. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

Thanks Mike, i arrive on Tuesday the 21st September and i think training`s at the Honbu that night anyway so hopefully i`ll see you then.

Cheers

Norman

www.bujinkan-kouryuu.com