training in herts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by roblen, Feb 8, 2015.

1. roblen

roblen Valued Member

Well, 12 months after my last post I'm about to get back into training but in what and where? i need some help.

I'm 47 and did JKD and BJJ for years but now have osteoarthritis in both knees (too much training) and very expensive dental work to protect.

oh yeah, its got to be in hertfordshire, Low impact and ideally still martial.

obvious answers are Wing chun. theres loads around so no need of suggestions there.

however, is anyone teaching BaGua or Xing Yi?

or anything different at all that isn't bonkers.

cheers all

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Bidston :love:

3. Moi

Sorry, thought it said 'trading'

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

If you can't do anything with your knees and you're worried about your face, then honestly, the best you can do is going to be martial adjacent.

Pretty much all traditional martial arts involve deep stances of one form or another, so if your knees are really shot, that's going to be a problem.

5. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

I used to study southern praying mantis kung fu, which didn't involve low stances. I would expect that other Hakka kung fu styles would be similar (and perhaps other southern styles such as wing chun), but obviously it's best to check. You may also be able to find "modernised" traditional styles which have dispensed with low stances. And I expect many instructors would be willing to accommodate your circumstances if you let them know.

This website lists some SPM instructors in Hertfordshire: http://www.chowgarsouthernmantis.com/instructuk.php

Here is the website of a lung ying school (another Hakka style) in Hertfordshire, although according to an old thread they're hard to get in touch with: http://www.loongying.co.uk/index.html

Good luck in your search!

6. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

As a general rule, I don't automatically refer people to my own discipline, but in this case I feel it's very appropriate.

I'd recommend a good HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts) school. There happen to be a couple in Hertfordshire too. The reason I recommend it is due to your criteria. You can use a reasonably high stance and succeed at various sword arts (though not all HEMA is sword-based), even if low stances are usually preferable. Secondly, the protective head gear (a reinforced fencing mask) will protect your dental work. The chances of taking a shot that would damage your teeth are negligible. This will allow you to train in a martial nature with very little risk.

In your area are two schools: The School of Medieval European Fencing (a German style school), and the Aisle O'var Backswording Club (an English style school). They are both members of the national federation, so the instruction should be good.

The British Isles produce excellent historical fencing schools. You can find a map showing various schools here: http://www.communitywalk.com/map/index/942724

As you age, you may find yourself wanting to study Spanish Destreza, which uses the rapier in a VERY upright stance, so it's easy on the knees. It doesn't seem like there's any in your area, but you could always travel to a seminar and bring back what you learn to your training partners.

Best of luck in your search!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  7. roblen

roblen Valued Member

thanks for the info so far.

a bit of clarification.

1. the dental work is a little bit of a joke- thats what mouth guards are for which i previously eschewed. £3000 at the dentist later has cured me of this aversion. oh yeah, thats for a single tooth implant!

2. the knee is a different matter. a lot of mates who started out in the mid 80's training are now coming down with this. (i have a few football mates too similarly effected).

The southern style kung fu is a good idea and i have been recommended to a wudang school which i wasn't aware of.

keep it coming people

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  8. roblen

roblen Valued Member

hi all

i take it there is no bagua or xing yi in hertfordshire?

cheers

9. Moi

Just take a drive? Ask people. Often things as rare as boxing slip under the internet radar. Just look for signs & give them a visit? Hammer the internet but if you're after specifics then pound the pavement as well. People know people, it's how you find things out

10. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I know Crossface MMA, Minotaur Muay Thai and Gintas Combat Sambo all in Watford.
    Assume that won't help you about your knees. KF schools move around a lot, mainly all they do is hire a hall or studio and move along if necessary.
    I know West Herts College used to hire out halls to some MA classes, can't confirm if any still there though.

Boxing, no sparring any good?

11. roblen

roblen Valued Member

thanks all