Training in China. (sorry if there is similar threads)

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Illonos, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Illonos

Illonos Black spotted reader.

Hi!

I've descided to go to China from September to train Kung fu, but I'm slightly confused as to where. There are just to many options for me, and I'm hoping anyone could help me out. So far I've found some interesting websites:

http://chinashaolins.com

www.shaolins.com

Anyone have any other suggestions? I reailly want to go, but I won't until I'm sure I'm going to a good academy.

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

If you don't know the basics already, training in china will be relatively fruitless in my opinion. I would personally find a good Kung Fu school and just enjoy my time in China rather than training in an unfamiliar style.

3. Illonos

True. But still I'd have to find out about the schools before I go. I thought maybe someone in the forum has been to China and could help me along in choosing a school to go to. The point is I don't know what schools are good or bad.

4. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

I've been to China, and have trained there, but it was mostly performance wushu, so probably not what you're looking for.
    I say, try and find a good San Da school. San Da is pretty much where it's at for modern CMA.

5. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

What I'm saying is, I wouldn't train in China. I don't do Kung Fu. I would go see the sights, eat some really weird food, mack on fine Chinese women, ride a rickshaw, pet a Daoist monk, climb Mount Xing Shao Pai, that kind of crap. I wouldn't train in Korea because I don't do Tae Kwon Do. I would train if I went to Thailand because I do Thai boxing. I wouldn't train in Spain because I don't take Spanish boxing. I would train in Brazil because I take Brazilian Jiu Jutsu. I wouldn't train in Uzbekistan because I don't Uzbekistanian Hemshaw.

Seeing a pattern here?

6. Mengcunman

Mengcunman Valued Member

training in China is possible, but you need to know what you want to learn.

Did you do your homework ?
    Modern stuff, traditional, internal,competition, etc ...

I have trained several times in China and I will be heading back next year.
    Don't go to a big academy. find a good teacher and train under him.
    Of course, you need to know people for this.

I know retired teachers where you can stay at their home.
    Baji, Liuhe, Pigua, Mizong, bagua, ...
    most of them live in the area of Cangzhou ( Hebei)

just send me a PM if you are interested.

7. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

I'm not sure what you're looking for but even though that web site says traditional all it's pictures scream contemporary wushu. If that's what you want that's cool but if your looking for a traditional art I doubt you'll find a teacher from China advertising on line.

8. Illonos

I see your pattern Yohan, got the point now.

Mengcunman, yeah, I did my homework, and it's the traditional arts I'm interested in... Lohan, good point about the advertising, but where am I supposed to look if the internet ain't the right place?

9. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

unfortunately that's a problem. Traditional martial arts aren't hugely commercial businesses in China. Your best bet to find a school before you go there would be to find someone who can recomend a teacher to you. If your going there for other reasons besides training then you may be able to ask around when you get there. A lot of it will depend on exactly where you go in China.

10. Tim T

Tim T Iam Jacks Smirkng Revenge

11. crumpet

crumpet Valued Member

Go to Hong Kong. Technically it's part of China, and it's cleaner, awesome city, maybe not cheaper, but at least u won't get disgusting squatting toilets or ppl spitting on the streets. There's that Lau family Hung gar school up in the New Territories (Fanling?) u could train at full time. It's close to China proper, so if u get a multiple entry visa it will be easy for u to cross the border for day trips and things like that. anyway in all honesty, i think the idea of going to an art's supposed birthplace for some hardcore training might lead to disappointment. especially if u don't train in a particular art where it might be more of a sentimental trip more than anything. most of the masters are dead or migrated overseas. yeah u don't need to go to china for good kung fu training, nor thailand for muay thai training, or israel for krav maga, etc. alot of the really good instructors are in western countries!

PS. stay away from ppl who dress up like monks :D

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  12. Bigshot

Bigshot And im all outta gum!

Im also off to china when i have the money to fund a long term trip (like 5 years) and i intend to stay at the www.shaolins.com one. (unless of course i can find something better)

1. I want to live and breathe MA everyday, ive done various MA's since i was about 6 years old and i honestly dont want to do much else.
    2. I love asia, its awesome, I prefer the food, the women, the culture, everything.
    3. Im really fed up of england and want to get away. (allthough the other two reasons outweigh this by miles)

Depends on what you want to learn, if you are like me and dont really mind (im happy practicing any MA/style that i can see the benefits of) then go for it, but if you are after something specific, id seriously consider doing a bit of research first, (MAP + GOOGLE = The win.) Nothing worse than turning up and finding out that the training is completely different to what you wanted.

How long do you plan on staying?

13. Mengcunman

Mengcunman Valued Member

for doing homework

google and youtube

look up what styles you can train and see if the movements fit you.

Inform about applications and conditioning.
    If the reply with Sanda, run away... as fast as possible.

14. Nighkon

Nighkon Valued Member

I trained in shanghai at the Longwu kung fu school for about 3 months, they had a nice range of classes there, this is their website:

http://www.longwukungfu.com/site/ (may take a while to load)